+ Reply to Thread
    Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Spielberg's Abraham Lincoln movie

Daniel Day-Lewis Will Be Steven Spielberg's Abraham Lincoln

For what seems like forever, director Steven Spielberg has talked about wanting to do a biopic on Abraham Lincoln from a script by "Angels in America" playwright Tony Kushner. But for the past decade, Spielberg has instead focused on other projects while Liam Neeson remained committed to playing our 16th president. When Neeson announced this summer that he was finally leaving the project, that seemed to be the end of it ever happening, but now the film is very much back on track: Daniel Day-Lewis is going to play Lincoln.

While Neeson would have a made a great Lincoln, we think Day-Lewis is just about a perfect choice: He has just the right amount of humanity, gravitas and charisma to play the most admired and worshipped (and therefore scrutinized) of all presidents. It's a major role in a major film by a major filmmaker, which means that audience expectations will be set ridiculously high, so you want someone who's got the chops to pull it off. He proved himself in Oscar-winning roles in "My Left Foot" and "There Will Be Blood," picking up additional Oscar nominations for his work in films including "In the Name of the Father" and "Gangs of New York." And after the debacle of "Nine," Day-Lewis needs to return to the type of full-bodied character portrayals he's known for, like "There Will Be Blood." This Lincoln project should do just that for the notoriously reclusive actor who has been known to go into seclusion for years following a film (he took off four full years after "My Left Foot").

The film, based on Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals" biography about Lincoln's battles with his White House Cabinet during the Civil War between 1861-1865, profiles the clashes brought about by the nation's turmoil. The Wrap reports that Spielberg will be shooting the film in the fall of next year. In other words, Spielberg will start the Lincoln project just before his next two movies will be coming out: the World War I drama "War Horse" and "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn." There had been some thought his next assignment after those two would be the apocalyptic sci-fi film "Robopocalypse", but it appears Spielberg will now be focusing on 19th century history before he turns his attention to the dystopian future. And now he's got arguably the best actor on the planet by his side to make this long-awaited film finally happen.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    from a script by "Angels in America" playwright Tony Kushner.
    I dunno how I feel about this.

No offense to Kushner. I actually love Angels in America but it's one of those plays better read than seen imo. The play is full of huge extended monologues, and while has a very powerful message can get very long-winded when performed. (I worked on my college's production of both parts 1 and 2 for it)

Now in some respects Kushner's writing style is probably perfect for Lincoln, because of speeches I'm sure they'll have him make in the film, I just hope he doesn't make it too much that the movie loses itself.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

A) Didn't Angels in America win a fuckton of Emmys for the tv adaption? (his writing can translate to non theatrical mediums)
    B) Kushner wrote Munich which was fucking awesome and the script was Oscar nominated
    C) Spielberg will obviously rewrite shit if its not flowing
    D) If you've seen There Will Be Blood, its a fucking 3hr Daniel Day Lewis monologue, shit will be fine.
    E) It's based off of Doris Kearns Goodwin's book about Lincoln which was pretty good.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

i masturbate to daniel day. might be time to bring back bill the butcher sigatar

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by ZarakiKujata View Post
    A) Didn't Angels in America win a fuckton of Emmys for the tv adaption? (his writing can translate to non theatrical mediums)
    B) Kushner wrote Munich which was fucking awesome and the script was Oscar nominated
    C) Spielberg will obviously rewrite shit if its not flowing
    D) If you've seen There Will Be Blood, its a fucking 3hr Daniel Day Lewis monologue, shit will be fine.
    E) It's based off of Doris Kearns Goodwin's book about Lincoln which was pretty good.
    wow you took my post totally the wrong way.

As I said I absolutely love Kusner, just worried it could get long-winded.

I wasn't bashing it or anything...

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    wow you took my post totally the wrong way.

As I said I absolutely love Kusner, just worried it could get long-winded.

I wasn't bashing it or anything...
    I thought I got your post :\ , I was just giving reasons that your worries about long-windedness happening or hurting the movie are for naught, w/ exception of the last one, which is there just to reiterate how awesome the source material is.