BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Malacite View Post
    Not gonna argue that at all. But the quality of the story so far has been top-notch, easily on par with CoP if not better.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA OH GOD YOU'RE HILARIOUS. CoP storyline>WotG by fucking miles.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Storyline for WOTG is pretty decent I think. Its more fun that CoP I think (in terms of storyline not content per say) in my opinion. Maybe its just that I hardly remember CoP any more. Theres a been a few cutscenes in WoTG, where I literally lol'd in real life because they're just silly. I dont remember ever laughing or anything during CoP other cursing and being pissed off at some fight or pissed off because it takes people 10 years to gather at bearclaw because they died 3x on the way or because in those days most people had 1/2 jobs leveled and if you didnt level the right job it made it that much harder. Not really comparing them because is no doubt that CoP had more content and felt like an acheivement when you actually finished it, and for them to drag something out years for WOTG that realistically shouldnt of taken that long is pretty meh. But I dont think the development team intentions of what CoP and WoTG were suppose to be, are even comparable anyway.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Btw, has there been an offical date given for the next version update?
    Obviously this video says something about the 9th (maybe just a small update + the new expansion), but for some reason I dont believe theyll have the full update ready then. But who knows, ill be happy if it is out then.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You're confusing. You're talking about storyline but then somehow throw in content and how it makes storyline more or less fun. How good a story is isn't affected by any outside stuff. And CoP was better than WoTG by miles.

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Btw, has there been an offical date given for the next version update?
    Obviously this video says something about the 9th (maybe just a small update + the new expansion), but for some reason I dont believe theyll have the full update ready then. But who knows, ill be happy if it is out then.
    The video actually mentions the 6th? And it has to be the update date because Add-ons are always released with new patches.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

To be fair, CoP had 34? missions all together. WotG has already had 80 (counting the nation quests). I still dont think it should have taken this long, but its sort of understandable. Honest question (I started the game when CoP came out, so I was too low lvl to power through the missions as they were released) how long did it take CoP to finish?

As far as the story line itself, its been excellent. The cutscene after the throne room battle was a total HOLY SHIT moment. Honestly, almost every CS has been amazing.

Spoiler: show
    The Galka's getting slaughtered outside Bastok.
    The battle of Fort KnS.
    Shantoto laughing while that gigas was on fire.
    Almost anything with Excenmille lol.
    Zeid impaling the shit out of that Antican.
    Battle of Jueno <3
    Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head

And even the fights themselves have been fun. Most of them have been very different styles of fights, Battle of Jueno and Honor Under Fire for example.

Idk, it seems most people that complain about WotG haven't played through very much of it (not everyone, but a lot). I just don't get it lol, if it wasn't for how slow its been coming out, I don't see any other issues with the expansion.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I dont see hows it confusing. CoP storyline had way more battlefields/fights/longer etc which is why I said it had more content. But that content at times made the game not so fun (to me), however it felt like an acheivement when you finished it.

I just find the WoTG cs's and story to be more fun. The fights/battlefields are not terribly exciting and you dont get the same level of acheivement but the story/cutscenes I find more enjoyable to watch.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Eurell View Post
    Honest question (I started the game when CoP came out, so I was too low lvl to power through the missions as they were released) how long did it take CoP to finish?
    Hard to say really. Because back in the day the fights were generally tough. Specific job setup's (I'm not gonna say needed) but made it a hell of a lot easier. Back in the day some people would stop, and level BLM to 50 so they would have a better chance of beating Ouryu for example. Some of the fights (or least made it alot easier) needed 2hrs to win. Some people were stuck on fights for weeks. Generally speaking you needed full parties to win them which took time to set up. Some of the fights or running through places required alliances (in hindsight I dont know if really needed alliances, its been a long time, but some of the shit was pretty hard back in the day). I'm not sure if CoP seemed longer because often it took so many retries on the fights and just generally waiting for people to gather, waiting for 2hrs to come back, etc.

Now if you were to Power level through it, since they took the level caps off, I'm not even sure CoP would have as much content as it seemed at the time.

Myr said I should dodge roll
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fiendish One
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that final boss fight is gonna be similar to Apoc Nigh in that you have to have completed both CoP

AND

All abyssea zone bosses.

And the final fight looks to be in 2 parts. First against Atamos (the maw) followed by the dragon type mob at the end inside the Promathia battle arena. And possibly fighting along side Prische once again.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

WOTG cutscenes just beat the hell out of most of what CoP had to offer.

While storyline can be debated, the quality of the cutscenes and variety of battlefields in WOTG are a direct improvement over CoP.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

U mean something produced in 2010 looks better than something produced in 2005?!? Ya dont say!!!

Btw, noticed every PC in the video is using empyrans...looks like my faith wont b rewarded

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    U mean something produced in 2010 looks better than something produced in 2005?!? Ya dont say!!!

Btw, noticed every PC in the video is using empyrans...looks like my faith wont b rewarded
    As if the year it's produced matters with SE. By that logic the XIV UI is head and shoulders better than XIs.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I'm one of those who'd definitely agree WotG (even not counting nation quests)> CoP in terms of story...
    if we break it down into the sub categories

Delivery: WotG did worse. 6 months before you can continue on the main story arc is sad. CoP still had 3 month waits but content was released in meaty chunks

Story: WotG was far more focused and didn't have too many jumbled subplots or story arcs and was far less vague. I liked that WotG struck a nice balance between being a serious story and having some good fun humor, something that SE seemed to have picked up in ToAU. Actual storyline is debatable

Cutscenes/Visual Effects: WotG hands down. Every single scene was amazingly well done and outdo most of anything that was put out before it. This isn't naturally assumed to be true either, since ACP cutscenes were horrid and they came out in 2009.

Battles/Mission Content: I like WotG more, because the battles were fun. CoP (in its original form) had more of a bring the "right" job to the battle design philosophy and if you wanted to go the extra mile, do tedious miniquests/fetchquests for an item that may or may not help you win. It wasn't just difficult, it was tedious. WotG battles are more fun because its never just about the right set up, or even the strongest jobs. I liked that missions weren't always about fighting anymore - especially the running one lol and that they challenged you in different ways - I like the BCs with swarms of mobs and the cait sith looking away minigame.

WotG will probably end up being easier and more fun (maybe not now with CoP uncapped and all).. but I really think if you compared a complete mission series of WotG next to CoP, WotG will straight out win, and this is before considering the finale.

My 2g.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    CoP still had 3 month waits but content was released in meaty chunks
    Wasn't it more like 2-2½ months?

I also think CoP offered far more interesting areas, and more "epic" bosses (which didn't really need the "right setup"). But those WoTG CS's are amazing and I could actually follow the story.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

it was already 3.. now its more like 3.5months..

The areas are more interesting i suppose, but thats more due in part to the area additions, which cannot solely be attributed to story, even if they unlock said areas, because they don't actually use it in its entirety..

I will agree on the epicness of some bosses.. namely Ouryu (back in the day when Wyrm encounters among casual players were rare), Ultima/Omega, Tenzen and Promathia...
    but those are the only ones that stand out now..

Nothing from WotG seems quite as epic partly because they're never as hard.. but I did like the Cait Sith and Spitewarden fights thus far..

Also, back to the topic of HoA, I do not think they will tie it in with the end of WotG in the same fashion as Apocalypse Nigh... at least not now

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Cop wasnt tedious. People were just stupid. The fact that you can solo most of wotg makes it less tedious only because you don't have dumbfucks ruining the battle for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Khajit View Post
    Cop wasnt tedious. People were just stupid. The fact that you can solo most of wotg makes it less tedious only because you don't have dumbfucks ruining the battle for you.
    A couple of WotG fights are still quite a bitch though without the right set up, especially the Throne Room battle ugh.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

The ability to spam cure the NPC to win most difficult WOTG fights is very :\

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    The ability to spam cure Prishe to win the final CoP fight is very :\
    Also relevant?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jaunty View Post
    Was this a joke or really on the page when you typed it? Notised it was actually on the official Playonline page this morning but it certainly wasn't there yesterday as double checked the copy / paste I used on my ls's forums.

If it was then loving this new SE!
    It was changed, and it was fixed by the time I posted this on Wednesday morning.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

The WotG storyline far surpasses everything else in this game. I bet the majority of people can't even recount the CoP storyline whereas anyone can easily write an essay on everything that's happened in WotG from memory.

Spoiler: show

The fact that everything we knew about Vana'diel's history was a lie is simply mind blowing. I personally can't wait to find out how it ends.

There's no way you can say CoP is better if you've seen the Windurst [S] cutscene where Fenrir lays waste to the Yagudo army. Seeing that in cutscene form has been the dream of every Windurstian for a very long time.

Also remember that WotG added Dancer and Scholar which changed the way the game plays for many jobs when using them as subjobs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast