+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Daddy Warbucks
    BG Level

Well on the bright side, at least Uwe Boll isn't directing this... right? Who am I kidding, this is going to be Street Fighter tier.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Shuichi View Post
    Where is Naughty Dog in all of this? Did they just fork over the property, took the money and ran?
    That's typically what happens. When you sign the agreement to have a TV series, movie, ect... made out of other property the agreement states how much involvement the original source can have. I know w/ the Legend of the Seeker TV show, Goodkind flat out said that he gave them the right to make a TV show based on the books & and any/all changes they made to the books were out of his hands after that

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    Goodkind flat out said that he gave them the right to make a TV show based on the books & and any/all changes they made to the books were out of his hands after that
    Generally for books made into movies the publisher negotiates the contract.

God. Where are the focus groups on this one.

Please no Mark Wahlberg for Nathan Drake.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Pretty sure most of the ppl in the focus groups wouldn't have played Uncharted and would have no idea who Nathan Drake is. I mean maybe if it was an Xbox360 game..

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by ZarakiKujata View Post
    Pretty sure most of the ppl in the focus groups wouldn't have played Uncharted and would have no idea who Nathan Drake is. I mean maybe if it was an Xbox360 game..
    Lewl. Saw this earlier today:

Make this video go viral please.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

It pretty much is already. I've seen it all over.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It'd take more than Nathan to fix the movie though. ;/
    Spoiler: show
    Like, say, a director who has at least played the fucking games.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    good luck with that... studios dont give a fuck, critics wont give a fuck b/c wahlberg/russell will have just fed them a plate of oscar bait w/ The Fighter, and ultimately viewers wont either b/c theyll have a slick ad campaign at Comic Con which will give them the buzz they need to rape the corpse of Nathan Drake.

Face the facts, studios just see video games as the new frontier of IP to rape now that they are done w/ comics, and if National Treasure, Tomb Raider etc have taught us anything its that the public will buy treasure hunter schlock by the barrel full

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Truer words.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

I just pray to Allah that Bioware w/ EA at its back has the clout to keep Mass Effect from getting raped.

i.e. having Matthew Fox as Shepard, Yvonne as Miranda, and keeping the VAs for the aliens who will get CGI'd

edit: And no Summer Glau as tali...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Nathan may not even want to play the role anymore, after hearing how the movie is gonna be a steaming pile of crap

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I just pray to Allah that Bioware w/ EA at its back has the clout to keep Mass Effect from getting raped.

i.e. having Matthew Fox as Shepard, Yvonne as Miranda, and keeping the VAs for the aliens who will get CGI'd

edit: And no Summer Glau as tali...
    Holy shit. I missed Yvonne Strahovski/Sarah from Chuck.. as a VA for Miranda in ME2? Gdi, I need to play this game now. She's awesome, and fucking gorgeous.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Holy shit. I missed Yvonne Strahovski/Sarah from Chuck.. as a VA for Miranda in ME2? Gdi, I need to play this game now. She's awesome, and fucking gorgeous.
    As Qalbert demonstrated shes the character model too lol

edit: And she uses her Aussie accent and if Sarah had it on Chuck, the character would be 10000x sexier.

The sooner one separates the connection, the easier it is to enjoy it(or hate it less). Even if it turns out great(and/or "faithful" to the cutscenes), there really is no major benefit from it being connected to a videogame other than publicity and attention. An exception would be like... I don't know, the Tron game? Since the movie and game are sort of connected.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I was talking to someone about this yesterday. The real problem isn't that the movie doesn't follow the storyline of one of the videogames, but that the studios are just using the name to try to sell a piece of shit to gamers. Russell's vision of the movie he wants shows that he obviously has no idea why people like the Uncharted games (or even what the games were about).

"This idea really turns me on that there's a family that's a force to be reckoned with in the world of international art and antiques," he says, "[a family] that deals with the heads of state and heads of museums and metes out justice."
    He casts Marky Mark (who has been in 50% of the movies he has made), who is the opposite of Drake, according to everything I've ever seen of him. That is enough to show me that he didn't look into what Uncharted was before he went and cast the only actor he seems to know. There are numerous "big" Hollywood stars who would be better in the role of Drake.

People didn't love Uncharted because it was National Treasure: Island Edition or Indiana Jones and the Lost City of Nepal. The fact that Drake was hunting treasure was secondary to the characters: the way they acted, their personality, the voices, and etc. Who doesn't wish that Eddy Raja had lived to continue being hilarious? I really hope that Russell takes some time to look into why people said that Uncharted would make a good movie instead of talking about his vision for something he knows nothing about.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

To be fair I got interested in the first game b/c it was Indiana Jones and the Lost City of Nepal. Nathan Drake is as big of an homage to Indy as they come, and Harrison Ford might have actually be a great choice for a movie interpretation of Sully (not exactly like him but perfect to pull off the homage ala Connery in Last Crusade)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

To be fair I got interested in the first game b/c it was Indiana Jones and the Lost City of Nepal. Nathan Drake is as big of an homage to Indy as they come, and Harrison Ford might have actually be a great choice for a movie interpretation of Sully (not exactly like him but perfect to pull off the homage ala Connery in Last Crusade)
    I didn't mean to imply that the obvious comparisons were wrong or shouldn't be made, but that if Uncharted was just an Indiana Jones homage, it wouldn't have had the same effect on people. Perhaps a "Came for Indy, stayed for Drake" idea.