BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by ZarakiKujata View Post
    edit: And she uses her Aussie accent and if Sarah had it on Chuck, the character would be 10000x sexier.
    She does use it in one episode back in s02e06 Chuck Versus the Ex.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/28/un...stin-richmond/
    Just what was that puzzling David O'Russell quote, referencing a "family dynamic" in the Uncharted movie, all about, I asked Uncharted 3 game director Justin Richmond at a recent press event. He laughed. "First of all, all that stuff was denied by David O. Russell," Richmond said. "He actually called us up and was like, 'I don't know what these guys are talking about.'" And Mark Wahlberg isn't anywhere near to being confirmed to play Nathan Drake either -- it's just Hollywood scuttlebutt, apparently. Still, I dutifully told Richmond that the Joystiq Biomass had chosen, and Nathan Fillion has our vote. Message received, Richmond responded.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Gotta love him backing off of everything he said in a previous interview, because of the backlash from everyone who knows anything about the franchise.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

http://geektyrant.com/storage/david-...ted-update.jpg

David O. Russell (The Fighter) gave fans a casting update on the feature adaptation of Uncharted in a recent interview with <redacted>.

Uncharted will mark the fourth film that Russll and Mark Wahlberg have collaborated on. It is currently in the early stages of production for Columbia Pictures and has a rumoured release date of 2013. Wahlberg will play the lead, Nathan Drake. There have been unspecified roles rumoured for Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci. There is also a female lead the director is looking into casting.

Here is what Russell had to say about being involved with the project:

Oh yes, I'm very excited about that. It's hard to keep writing in the middle of an Oscar campaign, but I'm almost done with that script, and that's going to be really fantastic.

I think if we take that family dynamic that we have in The Fighter, and put that in terms of a grander stage, with a crime family that metes out justice in the world of art and antiquities. If you're the head of a museum, or head of state, you've got to deal with them, and they're badass.

They're like the Sopranos in some ways, but they have great taste, and they have a sense of justice.

I would love to do that with Mark [Wahlberg], Robert De Niro, and a couple of hot women, it could be very thrilling.

When asked if the director believed it is possible to ever fully please the fans of the game franchise, the Russell responded:

I don't think that you can please everybody, but I will tell you this - I won't make it unless I can make a great movie.

I don't think there are too many games you can play through that make you go - "Well that'll make a great movie." There's not a lot of references on it, so I don't think there's a blueprint that says you must directly translate the game to the screen.

Games are awesome because you're playing them, so that's just a whole other thing. I'm shooting things down and climbing over cliffs, climbing through rooms, of course you have that in an action picture, but if you don't have the characters, and the whole world that's really bizarre, I don't think you have a movie that really grabs you by the throat.

I want the gamers to be happy. I have total respect for the game. My kid loves playing it, I love playing it. I just want to create a world that takes it to another level, that's another amazing world that's more cinematic.
    http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/2/9/...ted-movie.html

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Hollywood can still diaf. Here's hoping it never gets off the ground.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I won't make it unless I can make a great movie.
    We can only hope that your definition of a great movie is somewhere close to correct.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Tidane View Post
    We can only hope that your definition of a great movie is somewhere close to correct.
    He's an oscar nominated director lol. He may not be the best choice for this movie, but he obviously is a competent director.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

So what this article is telling me is that he's reconfirming after dismissing what original sources stated? This movie is already doa.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

You know he's got a point. As much as "The Sopranos of the treasure hunting world" sounds fucking retarded and is about 5 years late to be a popular reference most videogames won't make good movies if straight up lifted from the source material. I'm not hoping for much out of this movie but the fact of the matter is videogames and movies are very different.

Most games have a much longer time to create a full story. Most games that they have optioned for movies have had shit/weak stories and/or are incredibly derivative. For games that do have good stories, characters, and character development they usually have a much longer period of time to develop the relationships and still keep you entertained with the action.

A prime example of a pretty decent movie by Hollywood's standards would be Prince of Persia (wasn't good but wasn't much worse than a lot of the shit churned out.) It could have been pretty awesome if they had actually spent more time on casting and script. A big problem though was the source material. It was derivative and time travel is really hard to do well without being retarded.

The main problem is though these studios are not optioning games based on whether they'll make good movies they only do it so they can rush out a movie as close to the game buzz as possible. If it catches on they make bank even if the movie is shit (see Resident Evil movies.) If they can make money off bad movies they'll be more than happy to shit all over games, TV shows, books, comics, etc. So if the movie and game company is saying to the director, "you better get this movie out in time for the 3rd game," then he may not have a choice but to release a steaming pile of shit. If we want some good "game" movies then they need to option the right ones and/or make intelligent choices to make a good movie. Once there's actually some good "game" movies than studios will be more likely to take bigger risks and stay closer to the source material. Let's remember Batman Begins and The Dark Knight weren't the first Batman movies and even then it's not like Nolan didn't take liberties with that property.

Inb4 tldr: If the movie is shit no surprise. If the movie is good but has little to do with the game except the name I'm ok with that. It makes it more likely that good game movies that are closer to the source material will come out.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by ZarakiKujata View Post
    He's an oscar nominated director lol. He may not be the best choice for this movie, but he obviously is a competent director.
    He may be an Oscar nominated director, but I meant a good movie in the context of an Uncharted movie. If he wants to make his Sopranos movie vision into reality, that's great, but I feel that he shouldn't be trying to shoehorn an idea he had for a movie into the Uncharted branding. The way he describes his movie is very far from how I see Nathan Drake. He isn't the head (or part) of an organization that goes around dealing out justice. He's the thief version of someone like John McClane; the fly in the ointment. He gets into a situation trying to make some money for himself and ends up doing good. If Russel's vision is framed correctly, it could certainly work (Drake and crew robbing a museum and end up being dragged into doing something good), but for some reason his words make me feel as though he's going to have them acting more like a Robin Hood-esque character (justice via theft). That just doesn't scream Nathan Drake, to me.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

ahahahahaha @ <redacted>
    hopefully the attempt at a movie just dies

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Kind of hope Russell's movie gets made just as long as its not Uncharted, shit sounds kind of intriguing.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://kotaku.com/5806700/report-mar...ncharted-flick

Report: Mark Wahlberg Won’t Be in Uncharted Flick
    Director David O. Russell dropped out of Uncharted. He's taking his goofy-sounding script and Mark Wahlberg with him.

Wahlberg was slated to star in Russell's cinematic take on Uncharted, which was about "a crime family that metes out justice in the world of art and antiquities" and which didn't sound like Uncharted.

According to the Los Angeles Times, Russell's Uncharted script was so long and so ambitious that it was partly responsible for the filmmaker and Sony parting ways.

While the game centers on hero Nathan Drake, Russell added a whole host of supporting characters and hoped to have Joe Pesci and Robert De Niro co-star in the film.

Sony still wants to make the picture and is searching for a new director and new writer to work off an earlier script draft written by written by the writers responsible for the upcoming Conan the Barbarian.

Russell is a talented filmmaker and probably could've made something interesting and entertaining. But would it have been Uncharted?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

And, It's back!

http://geektyrant.com/storage/post-i...-uncharted.jpg

Variety reports that Neil Burger (LIMITLESS) has taken on the task of writing and directing the film adaptation of UNCHARTED: DRAKES FORTUNE. Originally the film was going to be directed by David O. Russell, and was to star Mark Wahlberg. However, Russell dropped the project sighting “creative differences”. With that happening, it is not 100% that Wahlberg will stay with the project.
    http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/7/7/...s-fortune.html
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ews|LatestNews

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Hopefully this new director will at least play the game to get an understanding of what it's about?

/twizzlers

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://www.craveonline.com/film/arti...ted-the-movieq
    Now that Limitless director Neil Burger has taken over Uncharted, the adaptation of Sony's popular treasure hunting videogame franchise, we all have questions to ask. Is he going to be keeping any of previous director David O. Russell's work? Will he listen to the internet fervor to cast Nathan Fillion as Nathan Drake? And what makes Uncharted different from Indiana Jones or National Treasure? In our interview with the director for this week's DVD/Blu-Ray release of Limitless (look for it tomorrow), he had this to say:

CRAVE Online: Are you going to be keeping a lot of David O. Russell’s work…?

Neil Burger: No, I haven’t seen his screenplay on it. Mainly we’re beginning from scratch and going back to the videogame. Because there’s a lot of cool stuff, actually, from the videogame, if you know it…

CRAVE Online: Yeah, I’ve played them all.

Neil Burger: It’s really one of the most cinematic videogames, and one that has really developed characters. So, you know, there’s a lot of cool, really intense things that, if they work for the film’s story, I want to use them.

CRAVE Online: What differentiates Uncharted from similar film franchises like Indiana Jones or National Treasure?

Neil Burger: Well, I think Indiana Jones is, you know, fantastic. The grandfather of all those movies. But I think Indiana Jones is nostalgic. It takes place in the 1930s, and the later ones are a little bit later, and it kind of plays on that nostalgia. Whereas Uncharted is very much up to the minute, of the moment. It’s very “now” and contemporary and it has this sort of rough and very intense feel that a movie like The Bourne Identity has. It’s really up to date in its own way. The Bourne Identity isn’t your father’s Cold War movie and this is a very different kind of treasure hunt movie. It’s very real and it has kind of an insane, wild feeling that comes out of the character; Nate being this con man and a bit of a hustler, living by his wits,ballsy and capable of anything.

CRAVE Online: Are you aware of the internet campaign to get Nathan Fillion to star in the movie?

Neil Burger: I’ve seen a little bit of that, yes. That was brought to my attention. So, you know, I think he’s a good actor. I think there’s a lot of really good actors who don’t even look like [Nathan Drake] who could play it! Where we are right now is that we’re literally starting from scratch on the screenplay, and I think that once we finish it, then we’ll go to actors and see who’s available and who’s right for the parts. Whenever that happens.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Uncharted, one of Sony’s biggest video game-turned potential movie adaptations, has endured a rough year. Back in October, Academy Award-nominated director David O. Russell was signed as the Uncharted helmer. One month later, Russell began talking-up his now controversial “family dynamic” angle and brought-on Mark Wahlberg to star as fan-favorite adventurer, Nathan Drake.

However, through all the ups and downs that led to the eventual exit of the director (and subsequently Wahlberg as well), one thing remained constant – many fans were still holding-out hope that Castle star, Nathan Fillion, would get a crack at playing Drake on the big screen. Unsurprisingly, Fillion is still very interested in the role – but on one very respectable condition.

At Comic-Con 2011, we got a chance to catch-up with Fillion about the recently vacated starring role (and director’s chair) for the Uncharted movie, and while the actor was forthcoming about his interest in the part, he made it clear that he didn’t want to step on newly-signed director Neil Burger‘s shoes – but also wasn’t above trying “Inception” if it’d help his chances:

“I am certainly still interested in playing Nathan Drake. I think every actor I know wants their action-adventure hero, their Indiana Jones. That would be a good one for me, I think. What I don’t want is people pressuring that poor man [director Neil Burger] and souring him on the actual idea. If we could somehow just… do you remember the movie Inception? I think that’s what we need to do. We need to let him land on the idea on his own.”
    Fillion’s respectful petition for the part is no doubt in response to the growing mass of Uncharted fans who have pushed the boundary between a passionate appeal and flat-out harassing ex-director Russell for casting anyone but their top choice. While Russell’s approach to the film and casting differed dramatically from the source material – and would be, many argued, Uncharted in name alone – fans were especially harsh in their reaction to the director’s attempt at bringing the franchise to the big screen.

It’s great to see that Fillion, who no doubts wants to headline his own “action-adventure hero film,” is interested in seeing the best Uncharted film that Neil Burger can make – even if it means that he misses out on the opportunity to play Nathan Drake. It’s hard to imagine Burger will experiment with as many liberties as Russell, especially considering Sony was reportedly against the “family dynamic” idea, and as a result, it’s unlikely that they’d have signed-off on an Uncharted film that was so disconnected from the game. Regardless, the Castle star’s approach to the situation is good food-for-thought for any fans who will be crestfallen if Burger also passes on Fillion.
    http://screenrant.com/nathan-fillion...e-benk-125277/

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The screenwriters behind Disney's National Treasure franchise, Marianne and Cormac Wibberley, have been hired by Sony Pictures to re-write the script for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. This is a video game adaptation many of us have been excited about since it was first announced. Apparently the studio just can't seem to move it forward into production.

David O' Russell was the first director attached to it. Limitless director Neil Burger took his place, but now he's no longer attached to direct it either. The studio will wait until the script is complete before they go out and hire another director.
    http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/8/23...e-scribes.html
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118058226

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Blah. The fact that they've brought on the team that did National Treasure is not a good sign to me. I think they really just need to scrap the whole thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast