1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 5 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 54 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 20 hours, 5 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 13 hours, 54 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UI Fonts     submit to reddit submit to twitter

UI Fonts

Yeah so.. trying to find the perfect XIV font.. Any suggestions? Screenshots or GTFO thanks..
    "Univers Extended"

Looking for something less "squashed"..

Sleep soon but I'll try a bunch tomorrow with pics

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

spent a few hours messing with fonts, more fails.. Need a font slightly wider and bigger (Help me Out!)

Adobe Heiti Std

Lucida Console

Akzidenz-Grotesk Next Med

Aurulent Sans Mono

Days.otf

AlteHaasGrotesk

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The font I used as a basis for my FFXI UI was Trebuchet MS. No idea how it looks in FFXIV. I don't mind the default FFXIV font myself.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Comic Sans for life.

Optima for life.

Custom Fonts don't look so hot in the game from what I've seen.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Been trying to find something cool, but haven't been able to. The way the fonts are rendered, most look like crap.

I'm using Verdana now. It's not perfect, but it's ok for chat/log and at least it's smaller than the default font.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I would probably never use a custom typeface... it just doesn't go. However, since it's a game that's heavy on the text/dialog, you should probably go with a serif typeface to help readability (the reason newspapers use them) and deal with the fact that names will not be in a nice, big sans-serif.

I'm not sure what it uses by default (or what it's primarily based off of), but I'd probably go with a Garamond, Goudy, or Baskerville. Also, you're not going to find any decent typeface for free-download whatsoever. You'll have to torrent them or fork out the $50~500 for the real shit. It's not super easy to find commercial typeface torrents unfortunately...

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I like the default font just fine - it's primarily an issue of font size that's annoying. I do think it's wonderful they're allowing us to choose our own.

Also, thanks very much for the screenshots of the fonts you've tried - it's quite helpful!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

This is with verdana, kinda getting used to it...
    Spoiler: show

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Arial Rounded MT Bold

Sansation

Bastardus Sans (using thickest Option in Config)
    Loving this one atm, might turn the thickness down a notch

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Also, you're not going to find any decent typeface for free-download whatsoever. You'll have to torrent them or fork out the $50~500 for the real shit. It's not super easy to find commercial typeface torrents unfortunately...
    Pay for fonts? What the fuuuuck

Also the default font is just perfect.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Brandson View Post
    The font I used as a basis for my FFXI UI was Trebuchet MS. No idea how it looks in FFXIV. I don't mind the default FFXIV font myself.
    it's funny cause i spent some time perusing your LJ yesterday trying to figure out what font you used for ffxi. coulda just looked here instead.

anyway, would have loved that font to death, but just tried it out and unfortunately it's way too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    Pay for fonts? What the fuuuuck
    Is this really surprise for you? I would think this would be kind of common knowledge.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I want to change my font, and have been messing with various fonts but...my main question is, can you read Japanese using other fonts? For me, some fonts don't/can't register Japanese. So right now I'm just sticking with the default. Am I missing something?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Depending on the quality of the typeface you use, it might have foreign characters or it might not. That's something that usually comes along with the real expensive shit mentioned above. Some crap font you found on dafont.com made by some 20 year old idiot in a community college typography class isn't going to have any foreign characters or accented letters, and might even be missing some of the more obscure symbols like vertical line, section, pilcrow, macron, etc.

You could always pull up your Character Map, select a typeface and then scroll down to see if it has any Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji characters or if they all got turned into delete boxes. (I think Katakana is pretty much at the very bottom of the character map)

I fiddled around with the typeface settings myself and I noticed that anything other than the default one looks way too small, even if it's a nice, big, airy, bold one like Helvetica or Neutraface. Even default serif ones like Baskerville and Garamond don't look good. I'm leaving it on default for sure.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Helvetica has looked the best so far... but non-default fonts are just too small at this resolution.