• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Need help finding a good gaming mouse w/o LED lights

It may be a strange request but I am looking for a good gaming mouse that does not have any LED lights or at least the ability to shut off all the lights on it. I am extremely OCD when it comes to having the lights on when I sleep at night, and I have to put blue tape over every single light source in my room that I possibly can. The last mouse I had was the R A T 5 and I absolutely loved except for the fact it had a few lights I could not completely cover up (and it bugged the hell out of me...) It also broke on me after only a few months

While I'm on the subject of things without LEDs, are there any good motherboard brands I can get that usually doesn't put lights on their motherboard or in their Ethernet port while having something plugged into it. All the Asus boards I have purchased seem to have lights on them >_>;

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

On motherboards, the lights are there for a reason. They're informing you as to whether things are working or not. It's a universal language that's understood by any technician, no matter what their native tongue is. Therefore, I doubt you'll find any manufacturers who deliberately omit LEDs on their motherboards.

As for mice, if you get an old, quality ball mouse, you won't need to worry about any lights at all. More realistically, you may want to try replacing the red LED in a modern optical mouse: http://www.instructables.com/id/Sile...shining-light/

If that sounds too difficult for you, I understand; unfortunately, I have no further suggestions.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Just... put the computer to sleep?

The g500's LED's aren't too bright. When you are done with it, if it is too bright for you, just put it in a position like behind desktop/monitor where you cant see the light.

I'm 90% sure there is at least one razer mouse that has the option to shut off the LED's... I think the Mamba could shut it off. I kinda wish I still had that mouse. Love my g500, but something about the mamba man.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I was using a good ball mouse up to maybe 7 months ago when I upgraded windows XP to windows 7. For some reason the scroll wheel wouldn't work on windows 7 and I wasn't sure if it was just my mouse or what. As far just putting my computer to sleep I run a lot of things on my computer during the night time such as rendering Maya animations.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Marihoki View Post
    I was using a good ball mouse up to maybe 7 months ago when I upgraded windows XP to windows 7. For some reason the scroll wheel wouldn't work on windows 7 and I wasn't sure if it was just my mouse or what. As far just putting my computer to sleep I run a lot of things on my computer during the night time such as rendering Maya animations.
    An alternative, then, may be finding some kind of enclosure you could put your entire computer tower in. You naturally wouldn't want one that prohibitively limits cooling, but if you can find something spacious enough, this may be your best option.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The Logitech G5's bottom side LEDs are not visible when the mouse is on a mouse pad in a dark room. The only LED on the top is the DPI indicator which isn't bright at all and could easily be covered by a thin strip of tape.

Judging from pictures, I'm fairly sure the G500's LED scheme is identical to the G5's and it is on sale at Newegg.

Alternatively, the MX518 doesn't appear to have any top-side LEDs at all and is basically an optical version of the G5, but without a weight cartridge (as well as the aforementioned LED DPI indicator.)

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I have the older MX500 which is basically the same, and yeah, it's completely dark unless you lift the mouse.

any razer mouse. all can have lights turned off completely in the software.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

If the G500 is still on sale for 35$ on Newegg, I will personally slap you for not buying it. The led's for the DPI indicator are dim, barely noticeable, and the mouse can be easily tucked away. The Laser on the bottom is not visible. I perfer this mouse over any razer including the Mamba, although I still want to rebuy the mamba just to have it since I have a spending money problem. As I thought and as confirmed via above, led's on those can be turned off. It really depends on your grip of the mouse. The g500 is more for that claw grip or where you put your whole hand on the mouse, razers are better for the people that only use the finger tip grips.

My recommendations would be logitech G500 or the razer Deathadder - if you are right handed.

edit: g500 is no longer 35$, so I won't slap you for not buying it. My recommendation still stands though, unless you want to spend 120 and go wireless for the mamba.

DAKPluto

Quote Originally Posted by Astarael View Post
    any razer mouse. all can have lights turned off completely in the software.

This

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rysan Wulfric
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Marihoki View Post

While I'm on the subject of things without LEDs, are there any good motherboard brands I can get that usually doesn't put lights on their motherboard or in their Ethernet port while having something plugged into it. All the Asus boards I have purchased seem to have lights on them >_>;
    I recently built someone a PC using a Gigabyte MicroATX board that didn't have any LEDs on it besides one for the Ethernet port. This is the first time I used a Gigabyte brand board, so I can't say for sure if they include LEDs on their other models.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Usually most boards will only have LEDs for diagnostic purposes, which aren't usually that visible unless you have a very ventilated case (or one with a window). Ethernet are standard. Either should be trivial to put a dab of paint on if it's that big a deal though, right? Seems like an easier solution than limiting your options on what you buy.

Mouse...couldn't you just use whatever you like, and unplug it when you go to bed?

You'd rage with my system in your room then, lol...

http://theafterlifels.com/album/rona/Rigs4.jpg

Light's the entire room up... I can turn the cathodes off but yah the MB has LED's on it. Hell, the one blue LED on my EVGA board (for when power is available) is BRIGHT.

You're likely not going to find one (a motherboard) without LED's. Does your case have a window on it? If so, change it?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Thank you for all the suggestions :D good to know that you can turn off lights on all of the razers... on the G500 where are the lights on it, on the top or the bottom of it and would it be possible to cover it up with some blue tape if I did need to?

It does effect what I do purchase as much as I would rather it not. I take a lot of steps to avoid seeing the lights, I just got a new router the other day because my old one broke, but you can see the two of them:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...oki/Router.jpg

The Netgear router drove me nuts, even with all the tape I could still see the lights, and didn't want to completely cover it up (so it had ventilation) I ended up putting it in the middle of a stack of 4 of those things you use to raise up an aerobics step. The Lynksys router is much kinder to me.

And your right coron, your computer would make me want to kill myself trying to sleep around it >_> Its just something about those LED's that drive me crazy when I sleep, I don't care about the huge amount of white noise my systems make every once in a while, that doesn't bug me at all, but man even small LED... evil little things.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

On the top on G5(00) maxi-cropped for maxi-dirty mouse.

That kind of blue tape would cover it easily, but worst case just disassemble it and remove the LED, not that it's even useful.

Master of blackface Range Rover beer bottle throwing.
    BG Level

MX518 motherfucker.

The only mouse I've liked so much I bought it twice when the first one starting have problems 4 years after I bought it.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

Get a USB hub and put it where its easily accessible and just unplug the mouse when youre done.

Quote Originally Posted by jinkazama View Post
    Get a USB hub and put it where its easily accessible and just unplug the mouse when youre done.
    this I don't see any reason why you should leave the mouse plugged in when its not in use if you're that annoyed with the LED.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I didn't want to unplug it every night because I do not want to crawl underneath my desk every morning and night to plug in/unplug my mouse... it is a pain in the ass with how computer and desk are situated. For convenience, I would rather just deal with the lights all at once then have to deal with it every night~ A USB hub may not be a bad idea though, but again, I wouldn't want LED lights on that either because that would just defeat the purpose (and to bad for me, almost everything electronic nowadays comes with some sort of light attached -_- even some cables I have seen have them). That being said, suggestions for a good USB hub would be appreciated to~

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

if its only your mouse that you're worried about, heres an extension cable you could try too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812119004

or here is an actual HUB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817394053