Thread: BG Real Life advice     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

BG Real Life advice

So a few months ago I really fell for a girl, the always effective pull-out method ended up failing. She's pregnant(according to pregnancy test, haven't confirmed with doctor). I love her and everything is fine on that front. But I've been without anything but dinky temp jobs for the past few years. I have no degree, no money, no certifications, crap work history. Though I'm excellent at MMO's.

What can I do to get a solid job, fast? Doesn't necessarily need to be the highest paying thing, just something. I can almost assuredly find a roof over our heads for fairly cheap (parents or friends) but I still need something to help support us.

I'm excellent at math/organization/efficiency. I'm a good worker, but not super gung ho about everything. I'm typically great at customer service, so I guess a cashier some place is my best bet, though not ideal by any means so I'm looking for other options.

On a related note, anyone in the DC/MD area hiring? You can train me to do all sorts of shit and pay me less than those with a college degree until I prove I'm better than them (and then you'll keep paying me less than them lol)

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike View Post
    So a few months ago I really fell for a girl, the always effective pull-out method ended up failing. She's pregnant(according to pregnancy test, haven't confirmed with doctor). I love her and everything is fine on that front. But I've been without anything but dinky temp jobs for the past few years. I have no degree, no money, no certifications, crap work history. Though I'm excellent at MMO's.
    How long ago was her last period due compared to when she took the test?

What can I do to get a solid job, fast? Doesn't necessarily need to be the highest paying thing, just something. I can almost assuredly find a roof over our heads for fairly cheap (parents or friends) but I still need something to help support us.
    Get a manual labor job, like working Fed-Ex, UPS, or in a hospital doing clerical work. You can get pretty solid work quickly, but you need to discipline yourself to do it for the sake of your new family. The job might suck, but it's better than having a baby starve to death or be taken away by child services.

I'm excellent at math/organization/efficiency. I'm a good worker, but not super gung ho about everything. I'm typically great at customer service, so I guess a cashier some place is my best bet, though not ideal by any means so I'm looking for other options.
    You'll get a job easily at a bank or any facility seeking an entry level accounting assistant. I wouldn't get a job as a cashier as they get paid the bottom dollar (usually $7-8/hr). You want a job that pays you at least $10-13, depending on living expenses.

On a related note, anyone in the DC/MD area hiring? You can train me to do all sorts of shit and pay me less than those with a college degree until I prove I'm better than them (and then you'll keep paying me less than them lol)
    Can't help you, but here's some advice. Get medical insurance quick and get everyone covered, regardless of how you have to do it. With most entry level positions you will have to prove yourself through action, not promises. Unless you have connections or a degree, most employers don't care what you have to say. Start writing resumes. Start planning for the future. Do it now, and don't hesitate.

I am hope.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Forget a low wage job like a cashier. Go for blue collar type jobs, construction, factory work, any kind of manual labor. Hell, look into becoming a cop, or EMS, maybe a prison/jail guard, these are not really quick, but pay decently. Best bet is to get help from friends that work in these areas, can be hard to get a foot in with out them. Also, find your local food stamp office, you will probably need it.

Change this later.
    BG Level

UPS offers benefits to part-time employees, so that plus another part-time job because UPS's pay and hours suck might be an option for you.

Some tech schools offer things like machine operator certificates that you can earn in about a semester or two.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

take her ass to ricky lake and demand blood tests. when you find out you're not the father, do the moonwalk, and some splits on stage.

but in all honesty... im not a fan of union jobs. they just seem so... i dont know... i just dont like them lol. but right now, my morals are my own. if i was in your position, i'd put that aside, and get a job scrubbing toilets if i had to.

God, i hope everything turns out ok man. make sure you raise your kid to play rogues/thiefs like we did

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    How long ago was her last period due compared to when she took the test?
    It's been 5 weeks or so since the last period, she took the test an hour ago.

Get a manual labor job, like working Fed-Ex, UPS, or in a hospital doing clerical work. You can get pretty solid work quickly, but you need to discipline yourself to do it for the sake of your new family. The job might suck, but it's better than having a baby starve to death or be taken away by child services.

You'll get a job easily at a bank or any facility seeking an entry level accounting assistant. I wouldn't get a job as a cashier as they get paid the bottom dollar (usually $7-8/hr). You want a job that pays you at least $10-13, depending on living expenses.
    Will have to try more for this. Been on interviews at a bank and UPS recently, but landed nothing. Maybe mentioning my new motivation will help me land a job.

Can't help you, but here's some advice. Get medical insurance quick and get everyone covered, regardless of how you have to do it. With most entry level positions you will have to prove yourself through action, not promises. Unless you have connections or a degree, most employers don't care what you have to say. Start writing resumes. Start planning for the future. Do it now, and don't hesitate.
    Under MD law I'm going to receive health coverage through my mother for the next year. Any chance I can get her covered through that somehow? I'm guessing no, but have to ask.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

No. You will have to buy separate insurance as you are not married and she is not your sister (neither of the two is mutually exclusive of course).

As far as landing your job interviews, I can help you with that. When you go in always make sure you are making friendly eye contact and smile, but be real. If they ask why you think you would be beneficial to hire, just tell them that you have great work ethic, give them good references and examples of how your skills bring a lot to the table, and mention that you have recently found that you are going to be a father - play it in your favor. Mention how your skills have allowed you to overcome the difficulties of being a new and young parent (this will tell them your responsibilities won't always be getting in the way of your work).

Don't ever neglect to ask counter-questions (don't ask too many) or explain shortcomings in a positive light. You should be able to take your weaknesses and make them strengths (in other words, explain how you overcome them and apply it to your work ethic).

Employers aren't looking for people that want jobs. They're looking for people that want to do good work so that they don't waste their time and money hiring a loser. You need to be better than the rest by showing you want to do good work, not just get a job.

edit: I would get insurance quickly, too. You may still be able to get around the loophole of her pregnancy being a pre-existing condition as pregnancies cost a lot of money and insurance companies can really make it cheaper on your bankroll. You will most certainly need to get insurance on the baby as soon as it is born. This will get expensive but talk to your insurance company after your girl is covered and see if you can get your baby on your mother's insurance.

Apple store could be an option if you have one near you. They're extremely loyal to their workers, very hard to get fired, very decent pay, great benefits, etc. You wouldn't have to be lifting boxes, you'd just have to be talking about computers. Plenty of room to move up as well.

Starting pay is around 11.50. Experts, Genius' and a few of the other positions (I don't know them all) make around $19/hr. Buddy of mine just got in there and he's lovin' it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

The pull out method failed? I'm fucking shocked! Not reading anymore of your post, assuming it's an extension of the stupidity that led you to believe that pulling out works.

Suck less.

we fuckin' stole it man.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    The pull out method failed? I'm fucking shocked! Not reading anymore of your post, assuming it's an extension of the stupidity that led you to believe that pulling out works.

Suck less.
    he must not have pulled out fast enough, too bad practice doesn't make perfect

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Suck less.
    lmfao

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Suck less.
    Good job ignoring the obvious sarcasm there bud. I knew it was a risk, turns out I got "unlucky". Now I plan to deal with it. Not a big issue. The big issue is taking care of my future child, which is what the rest of the post was about.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

use your child to farm you gold / gil so you can focus more on end game.

we fuckin' stole it man.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    use your child to farm you gold / gil so you can focus more on end game.
    it works in china

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike View Post

Maybe mentioning my new motivation will help me land a job.

I dunno if this is a good idea actually. "Getting your girl pregnant" has a negative connotation to it, and they might think you're irresponsible. Maybe make it sound like it was planned? iono.

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

'Though I'm excellent at MMO's'

was pretty funny

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I dunno if this is a good idea actually. "Getting your girl pregnant" has a negative connotation to it, and they might think you're irresponsible. Maybe make it sound like it was planned? iono.
    Making it sound planned would mean he planned to have a child whilst unemployed. Would not only make him look irresponsible, but also like an idiot. Best to stay off the subject all together.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

post offices

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8...0947340002.jpg
    Spoiler: show
    why are there so few posts promoting abortion, seriously. you said it yourself, you're a piece of shit. have her get rid of it before it's too late.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast