+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level

RON: "And then what happens is her best friend gets kidnapped, she gets taken prisoner by scavengers on the island. They try to rape her, and-"

KOTAKU: "They try to rape her?"

RON: "She's literally turned into a cornered animal. And that's a huge step in her evolution: she's either forced to fight back or die and that's what we're showing today."
    Well, I could see how maybe the guy really didn't mean rape. Sure, he had rape on the mind, but then he says "she's forced to fight back or die". Being raped is usually the consequence of being raped, not death.

Not to say that they really are taking out any kind of rape scene, there's been lots of shady comments made by those working on this game about Lara Croft.

Internet feminists really hurt my head, sometimes it feels like I'm reading a Fox News article. I mean there's a ton of genuinely valid arguments on how women should be portrayed in videogames, even in this game. But, Jesus diarrhea on reading these rants; how these guys used rape as a tool, she's more helpless now, blah blah blah I thought the biggest complaint about this game was going to be about the ridiculous moaning going on, not a "rape scene" that ends in Laura bustin caps in everyone's asses, only, more realistically(in contrast to the series) this time around.

I even saw a comment asking for a return to the ridiculous, big-boob barbie Laura instead of "this Whedon-esque version of a helpless female heroine" or something along those lines. This makes no sense whatsoever... Lost had some pretty strong female characters, I don't know what kind of ridiculously high bar these women have set in order for them to be satisfied.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Laude Valiquette
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I'm still looking forward to this game. Haven't played a Tomb Raider since Tomb Raider Chronicles on PS1, and this is definitely more interesting than "play a sexy female shootan ganz n shit", lol

And with the comparisons to this and Uncharted, kinda makes me wanna try Uncharted, now. (yeah, never played it, lol)

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I even saw a comment asking for a return to the ridiculous, big-boob barbie Laura instead of "this Whedon-esque version of a helpless female heroine" or something along those lines. This makes no sense whatsoever...
    Classic case of not being able to satisfy everyone. For years I remember seeing constant reminders of how Lara was everything wrong with how women are portrayed in games. I think she's just a character that's doomed to being hated no matter what.

For some reason my brain wants to call her Laura, instead of Lara. See, this new personal/humanized take has already made me change her name to one I normally see lol But yeah, I haven't played much of the TR series, atleast past demos. I couldn't get into Underworld at all for some reason, which was supposedly the best one. Last one I played through was Legend. I never got to play the first game, but I remember being wow'ed by it and RE1 for how realistic and engrossing they were for videogames. I think TR2 was the only other one I finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Laude View Post
    I'm still looking forward to this game. Haven't played a Tomb Raider since Tomb Raider Chronicles on PS1, and this is definitely more interesting than "play a sexy female shootan ganz n shit", lol

And with the comparisons to this and Uncharted, kinda makes me wanna try Uncharted, now. (yeah, never played it, lol)
    I need a PS3 sometime soonish for reasons stated above.

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

The fact that they are talking about DLC at the unveil makes me raaaaaaaaaage.

Online Dating DOES Work!!
    Sonic Ripoff of the Houe of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hiryo Randgris
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I dont really know if Underworld is the best Tomb Raider, but it does a lot of things right and has some really fun acts. Pretty entertaining platinum too for <$20.

green jellybean
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by notorious bum View Post
    Internet feminists really hurt my head, sometimes it feels like I'm reading a Fox News article. I mean there's a ton of genuinely valid arguments on how women should be portrayed in videogames, even in this game. But, Jesus diarrhea on reading these rants; how these guys used rape as a tool, she's more helpless now, blah blah blah I thought the biggest complaint about this game was going to be about the ridiculous moaning going on, not a "rape scene" that ends in Laura bustin caps in everyone's asses, only, more realistically(in contrast to the series) this time around.

I even saw a comment asking for a return to the ridiculous, big-boob barbie Laura instead of "this Whedon-esque version of a helpless female heroine" or something along those lines. This makes no sense whatsoever... Lost had some pretty strong female characters, I don't know what kind of ridiculously high bar these women have set in order for them to be satisfied.
    My problem is more that they hyped the fact that they included rape into the storyline, they could have left it out of the first impressions and kept it in game where there would have been in better context. Instead they say "we decided to show how she was made stronger... by having her beaten and almost raped" the fact that they were so casual about the plot point is really the problem. I also did not like the assumption that as I player I would want to protect the character vs be the character, which discludes my play-style and I'm sure many others.

I loved tomb raider 2 as a kid, It was awesome to finally be a girl kicking butt when most of the characters were always male. Sure, her model was sexualized and unattainable, but I guess having played with barbies at an even younger age I had no concept of it being realistic. I was looking forward to the new one, but now I worry that it will be too different from the original to draw me in considering how their marketing doesn't align with what I have always remembered to be their product.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Spoiler: show

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Pre-order bonuses;

Best Buy

Amazon

Gamestop

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Re: Tomb Raider

All shit except for GameStop. Not even mad about what im missing out on in the first two, but as usual I feel cheated if i dont preorder.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Because a bow is always the best weapon! ohwait...

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

NA Collector's Edition

EU Collector's Editions

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Such a girly sounding Lara seems so wrong :<
    Although I guess it has to be understood, as they're making her a weak girl in general at the beginning.