+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    apparently post-game content from GBA is retained, as well as the party swapping. no mention of the DS version at all.
    I think the only thing they took from that was the new OST.
    awesome. I really liked the extra dungeon in the GBA version.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalhart View Post
    A co-worker told me today they released the DS version on the iTunes. I can't remember if she said it was the 3D version or a 2D one.
    They ported the DS release of FF3 over.

Quote Originally Posted by chiyio View Post
    awesome. I really liked the extra dungeon in the GBA version.
    Was probably my fav addition of all the GBA/Wonderswan FF additions. Just a shame you have to run through it 3 times (iirc?) to see all the character specific areas. On that same subject, I really need to get back to beating FF2's post-game chapter (fucking hard), and FF5's extra dungeon.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

the itunes one is FF3 DS version, which is ironic cos that one is still 3D. Then again they never did do a 2D remake of FF3. closest thing to a 2D remake was the wonderswan color one which was canned.

as for ff2 post-game, u mean soul of rebirth? that one is kinda easy if u 'cheat' a little lol. like focusing on only raising 1 characters HP to decent levels and then forcing him to tank all the bosses lol.. the row system is so easy to abuse.

i was kinda put off by FF3 DS somehow, never finished it. didn't get 4 DS either, but really looking forward to 4 PSP now.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah, that thing. I only got as far as the town with the full PT. The following dungeon just rapes me. Got any advice?

As for FF3 DS, same deal here. The grinding got to me in it because battles take forever, especially when all your PT members hit for 8+ attacks each round. I'd probably be able to rape the final dungeon with ease, as last thing I was doing in it was grinding on Black Belts for +HP to farm some Onion Knight gear in that hidden dungeon.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Hate to break it to ya, but you're probably at the end of it already. Just beaten it myself in 90min

Anyone else think this looks horrible btw?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...MES/ivlogo.png

[EDIT] God, the sound effect they use for the door getting on my nerves. Just a loud CRUNCH sound. Sound effects in general are a bit too loud, wish it had a sfx/music volume slider.

After Years first impression is that they dramatically lowered the mob encounter rate as well as the difficulty level from the Wii release. Hope it's true as I couldn't be arsed to finish it pass the prologue before.

Auto-battle is awesome if only for speeding up the game 2x while it's engaged. I actually bother with weak kills now since they're over in no time.
    Really? Thank God! While I enjoyed TAY for the most part, that was one of the things that bothered me. That, plus the lack of any post-game content for the last chapter. Yeah that title is indeed a clusterfuck.

Glad to hear they kept the bonus dungeon.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

just for kaisha

spoilered for off-topicness
    Spoiler: show

well. u will want to start building your characters in very specific ways. minwu will likely be your primary buffer / cure / mage guy. train the teleport spell so that it can effectively kill normal enemies fast. level up berserk spell (very important). scott was my 2ndary mage. he had cure, aura and a bunch of other useless spells. josef was my 2ndary DD/3rd cure guy. and ricard was the tank.

Normally you can put minwu on the back and the rest in front. They will be able to take most normal enemy hits if you let them get hit enough. you can also focus enemy hits onto a single character by putting only 1 person in the front row. after a short while you'll find that they will be able to survive the monsters in the palace. also, equip shields. that helps alot.. and if you want to act faster in the turns, don't dualwield.

For bosses, you will probably want to employ the tank strategy, which I used a lot (especially ultima weapon). only 1 player ( i chose ricard) in front, minwu spams berserk on him every turn unless he needs curing badly. initial buffs of protect/blink help a little. I gave aura to scott so he could spam that too, which helps a little. extra guy should be curing the main guy every round since he can do nothing (i found he didnt have much HP either). berserk will help you get the attack power you need to kill the boss. everyone else in the back for support helps a lot.

difficulty in the dungeon plateaus after a while, so u'll find it just becomes tedious and a fight to maintain your MP usage. by that point, and if you cleared the dungeon of its goodies, you wont need to employ the tank strategy on Emperor (it doesnt work very well since he casts magic more often, and i think either way the guy who is hit by a melee hit will die anyway)

as for FF4, i hope this is the last edition, just as the PSP edition was the last edition of ff1 and 2 (to add new stuff)

edit: agree with the title screen.. the logos are all clustered together, the pop up line effect isnt so bad, except for the blue-gold gradient thing which just reminds me of someones crappy MS powerpoint template presentation. with lazer sound effects on every letter.

I never understood why SE seems to insist on making 3D remakes for the shitty hardware system and 2D remakes for the powerful one. Can you imagine if they remade FF4 (or any of the early FFs) for the PSP with the Crisis Core or Dissidia engines? The 2D nostalgia factor is just worn too thin and smacks so much of cutting corners for a quick profit.

Instead we wind up with origami/matchstick people on a tiny screen with a useless dual screen/stylus gimmick. bah

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I never understood why SE seems to insist on making 3D remakes for the shitty hardware system and 2D remakes for the powerful one. Can you imagine if they remade FF4 (or any of the early FFs) for the PSP with the Crisis Core or Dissidia engines? The 2D nostalgia factor is just worn too thin and smacks so much of cutting corners for a quick profit.

Instead we wind up with origami/matchstick people on a tiny screen with a useless dual screen/stylus gimmick. bah
    I wonder that as well, just like I wonder how can the NDS be more popular than PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post
    I wonder that as well, just like I wonder how can the NDS be more popular than PSP.
    Advent of "casual" gaming + stupid gimmicks to pull people in is my best guess. Nintendo took the 4kids approach in general and parents/grandparents are more likely to get their little kids the cheaper console with the cartoonish game lineup and the novelty motion/touch screen thing. It's the same as the regular console situation really.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Hard to say. I mean, it could be a budget thing, but SE kinda has the R&D down pat on both handhelds, although doing FF4 in 3D for PSP standards would run them a lot more than it did on the DS. Perhaps they researched their market, or just knew it would bring up more sales on the DS for obvious reasons.

Regardless, I have to say I'm enjoying After Years a lot more on this release. It feels like a proper follow-up, rather than a rom hack with artifical difficulty like the Wii version appeared.

Unfortunately yea, the cost of production and profit potential favor the DS. More popular console, cheaper to produce for because of crappier hardware. Quantity over quality.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

i'm curious how this is going to work out. i haven't liked the ports of old games I've played on PSP, but those were of PSX games (Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, Star Ocean Second Story). Similarly, the Lufia 2 remake-ish thing for DS was kind of disappointing.

Well.. actually, I thought Persona 1 was ok on PSP. But I'm wary of them changing content. That's what bothered me about the Lunar and Star Ocean ports. Afaik, they just ported the more complete Japanese version of Persona 1 to the PSP rather than the abridged version we got for PSX in the US.

what do you guys think? Do you think the game will be close enough to the original to not irritate fans of the old one?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Advent of "casual" gaming + stupid gimmicks to pull people in is my best guess. Nintendo took the 4kids approach in general and parents/grandparents are more likely to get their little kids the cheaper console with the cartoonish game lineup and the novelty motion/touch screen thing. It's the same as the regular console situation really.
    a lot of middle aged women seem to love DS, too, my mother included.
    I think a lot of the generation that was teenagers/adults around the Atari and original Nintendo days likes the DS. I know a lot of older people I know aren't a fan of 3D games.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

o.. it seems the after years got a new secret boss.. called Lost Babil. Its a 3 party fight.. interesting how it doesnt seem to have been noticed much.

also no idea if FF4 itself received new battle content

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Laude Valiquette
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Just picked this up today. I actually prefer these HD sprites over the DS version. Also, totally set the music to the classic SNES versions <3

Atma Weapon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zadora Madruk
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

On the doorstep from amazon today, really liking it a lot. Like Laude, I set the music to classic, though the sounds and event music like dancing are still the arranged versions. The HD sprites are great, and the implementation of the refreshed magic animations, mob death animations, boss battle intros and etc. so far really come across nicely polished.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Anyone know if the challenge rooms in the After Years are worth pursuing? Did a quick try of it under Rydia's chapter, and it plunked me in the dungeon I hated most in the game, the stupid one with the dark crystal and those doors of death.

As if I didn't already have to speedrun my way through there on Interlude and Rydia's Chapter itself already.......and fought the same boss both times.

Is it me btw, or do the original versions of the music sound out of key?

If you're playing TAY just for the story don't bother with the challenge dungeons: they're tedious as hell (especially Edward and Porom's... ugh) and almost everything you get from those is eventually outclassed by the gear you get in the final dungeon.

Tonko

Are the 4 dropped summons still in the game?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

In After Years or the original? For After Years, I can confirm at least Goblin still drops as I got it off my first battle with Ceodore. >.>

I would assume they'd still drop in the core game also given it's essentially a graphical face lift of what was the GBA release.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast