BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zadora Madruk
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Final Fantasy IV Compilation Headed To PSP

PlayStation Portable is getting a version of Final Fantasy IV. But there's a bit more to the new version than just a port of the 1991 Super Famicom/SNES classic. The latest issue of V Jump has a first look at Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection. This PSP title combines Final Fantasy IV with Final Fantasy IV The After Years. The latter is an episodic sequel to FFIV that was released on Wii Ware last year after originally appearing on cell phones. For the PSP, Square Enix is redoing the visuals and adding a new scenario that connects FFIV and The After Years. There could be some other new elements as well, but we'll have to wait for a followup report. Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection is due for PSP release in Spring 2011.
    http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...mpilation_psp/

Comparison of updated graphics to SNES: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/17...te-collection/

Scans:

I don't know about you guys, but I am excite, no need to buy a Wii now, as long as it gets to American shores.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

This has me so excited, IV is my personal favorite FF game and it'll be nice to get it all in one place. It also has me mad because I need to buy a PSP for this and several other games and I can't/haven't been able to afford it.

New Odin
    BG Level

Oh finally, I was so pissed that they released it on Wii out of all consoles. I honestly would have expected DS but I'll take the superior alternative..

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Am I the only one who is a bit tired of FFIV after having played it on the SNES, PSX, GBA, then the DS remake?

After Years might be worthwhile is they tweak the difficulty/encounter rate a bit, as it was just a clusterfuck of "take 2 steps, encounter, take another 2 steps, encounter" on the Wii release, which felt like its only purpose was to artificially pad out the games length. I couldn't be arsed to play pass the first chapter since the first thing you do at the start of each chapter is grind grind grind.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Am I the only one who is a bit tired of FFIV after having played it on the SNES, PSX, GBA, then the DS remake?
    No you're not. Can we move onto V please?

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i have my doubts about this game... but first I'd like to know more about it.

It'd better be a port of the DS version, and then + an extra episode + After Years.

like, it'd make so much sense that FFIV in 3D utilized the PSPs graphical power..
    if thats the case, then i wonder if the extra episode + After Years will see themselves appearing in 3D as well. Would be interesting and I'd love it. But if so, then FF3 should see similar treatment imo.

If it isn't in 3D and its just SNES/GBA port of FF4 with touched up gfx + extra episode + after years, then its just a blatent money spinner and i'd refuse to support it. Like, I could easily fit that kinda shit on a smartphone and cut its price. The PSP was made for greater things..
    and going from a 3D DS remake to a 2D PSP port would be regression.

Atma Weapon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zadora Madruk
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Fixed the scan in OP to show it's the 2d version with updated graphics. Maybe I'm what's wrong with this re-release system SE uses, it's going to be a day 1 purchase for me. I have a real soft spot for IV, and it has to be a very very blatant exact copy for me not to pick it up. This seems to have enough prettied up 2d sprites and content with the inclusion of the after years to warrant my money. Hoping they'll even put the soundtrack out again, as I haven't purchased the DS versions yet.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

meh. HD2D when a 3D version already exists is just wrong imo.

I'd always seen remakes as being technologically progressive.

FF1 and 2 in their best remake forms were HD2D.
    3 and 4 made the transition to 3D in the DS remakes...

and now 4 is going back to 2D >_>
    not to be a technological snob, but if i wanted the nostalgic 2d feel I'd just go back and play the old version.. which isn't even hard to find.

The DS version was the best because of the improved gameplay and auto-battle feature.
    Hopefully they're keeping those in the PSP version as well.

New Odin
    BG Level

Really, I hate the 3D shit when it's done with weak hardware in mind. The DS platform is just too damn weak for any good 3D.

I'd take 2D+1 over 3D just like I would with the early 3D games for PS1 and such. Shit looks horrible and hasn't aged well at all. I get the same feeling when looking at the DS remakes.

However, if they were to do the remake with PSP's hardware in mind I'd be all over 3D. But it sounds like too much effort really.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Wonder how this compares price-wise to the After Years DLC, I only played the first main story chunk on Wii, which I enjoyed but at the same time they completely recycled almost all of the maps and music, buying all of the DLC was just too damn expensive, I think it came out to like $40 for a 16-bit game that could not have taken all that much effort to make...

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i think the 3D wouldnt look half as bad on the PSP as it did on the DS if it was tweaked to fully utilize the PSPs graphical power because the PSP is far superior in terms of 3D output than the DS. If that were the case then what we'd see is a smoother 3D visual than on the DS, altho design-wise it'd still be kinda chibi save for the FMVs. but other than that, the DS version did come with a lot of other stuff which is cool, like Whyt, voice acting for key cutscenes, auto-attack and augments, which adds much needed depth to FFIVs gameplay by todays standards

but so far it really looks like its just gonna be HD2D. and thats pretty underwhelming imo

blax n gunz
    BG Level

The only 'HD' feature I'm seeing on the PSP version are the redone spell effects. All the sprites look identical to the SNES version, and I have a nagging feeling they won't use the exceptional voice acting from the DS remake.

Did SE just shit this out the pipeline to print money while they wait for XIV to turn a profit?

The Spooniest of Bards
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lucian Esperance
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    The only 'HD' feature I'm seeing on the PSP version are the redone spell effects. All the sprites look identical to the SNES version, and I have a nagging feeling they won't use the exceptional voice acting from the DS remake.

Did SE just shit this out the pipeline to print money while they wait for XIV to turn a profit?
    That's pretty much Wada's goal...

In the recent months, Wada has stated that he wishes to take the company onto an online marketplace and train young developers using further remakes and ports of old games before they continue on to develop top-tier titles; both currently hot points of contention.
    http://squarehaven.com/people/Yoichi-Wada/

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Excuse me.. I must change my pants.. and make room on the shelf with my other 4 copies of this game.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I found the GBA version far more fun than the DS version. The HUGE extra dungeon, special weapons and quests, and that you could use EVERY character was a lot more interesting to me than the augment system from the DS version that you had to play through 3 times to even get full use of. Plus I thought the DS version was kind of ugly.

Really hope it has the bonus content from the GBA version, it was really fun and well done.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

How do you configure Dolphin to play this game?

Quote Originally Posted by chiyio View Post
    I found the GBA version far more fun than the DS version. The HUGE extra dungeon, special weapons and quests, and that you could use EVERY character was a lot more interesting to me than the augment system from the DS version that you had to play through 3 times to even get full use of. Plus I thought the DS version was kind of ugly.

Really hope it has the bonus content from the GBA version, it was really fun and well done.
    Even if you could use any character, was there a point in that?
    Rosa>Porom, Rydia>Palom, Kain>Cid/Yang and Edward just sucks. Fusoya was by far the best of the temporary characters but they don't let you use him, which really annoyed me.

In the DS version you had a huge set of new abilities at your disposal, many of them being extremely useful (Omnicasting+Doublecasting and so on), so even if you still had the same characters you could at least do something different with them other than spamming Jump, Cure4 and Bahamut over and over again.

I do agree that the extra dungeon in the GBA version was good though.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Both versions had their good points. GBA had the extra dungeons, but suffered from some bugs. DS had some good VAs, Augments system was interested, however didn't care for the new boss scripts.

Speaking of versions, did they confirm if this will be like the SNES/PS/GBA versions? Or a 2D version of the DS game? Or a mix of both?

Either way, pretty sure I'm going to grab this. I wanted to see what FF4:TAY was like.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Scratch my question it's fun to play on PC :D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast