Thread: Iron Man 3 (May 3, 2013)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Iron Man 3 (May 3, 2013)

did search, didn't see this anywhere. IDK how to feel about it:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...3.html?_r=true

The poet Robert Browning once wrote that "a man in armor is his armor's slave." By that logic, director Jon Favreau is now a free man: Insiders tell Vulture that Favreau has just informed Marvel Studios that he won't direct a third Iron Man film.

It's unclear whether the impasse was financial or creative or both. One informed source hears that he was frustrated with Marvel's urge to stuff more of their in-house heroes into the next film in the wake of The Avengers. In a recent interview with MTV News, Favreau explained that based on his conversations with Marvel Studios executives, he had no clarity as to what a third Iron Man film would even be about. “In theory, Iron Man 3 is going to be a sequel or continuation of Thor, Hulk, Captain America and Avengers,” said Favreau at the time, “This whole world … I have no idea what it is. I don’t think they do either, from conversations I’ve had with those guys.”

Still other industry insiders look at Favreau's growing price tag and speculate that he was getting too expensive for the frugal Marvel and its equally cost-conscious parent company, Disney. In fact, one Hollywood player familiar with Marvel's playbook theorizes that the company had been pushing a confusing and packed vision of the third film as a tactic to provoke Favreau into leaving the project. Favreau, after all, is said to have received $10 million for the Iron Man sequel; it's unclear what he'd be seeking for a third film, but reps familiar with these sorts of gross participation deals tell Vulture that he likely would command $12 million to $15 million up front, plus a 15 percent percent of the gross after the film recouped. With star Robert Downey Jr. also participating in the gross (and so far it's a $1.2 billion global franchise), that's an enormous amount of cash headed out the door. Disney has got to be protective of their profits for an IM3: It bought Marvel for $4 billion in 2009, and then this October paid Paramount Pictures $115 million for the distribution rights to The Avengers and Iron Man 3 in order to reunite the titles with their parent company.

Regardless of why, we’re told that Marvel quietly began the process of finding a director to replace Favreau last night. But Marvel’s task is complicated by the fact that Downey Jr. has both contractually negotiated director approval and is currently the hottest leading man in Hollywood with first pick of dozens of "go" movies around town.

Favreau will be staying on the Disney lot, at least for now: His next project will be the studio's Magic Kingdom, about a family trapped in Disneyland and their magical encounters with all sorts of Disney attractions and rides. Marvel currently has no script for a third Iron Man, and while it has no plans to shoot the film until 2012 at the earliest, Marvel execs hope to put a director on the project to guide its development as soon as possible.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Second movie was crappy anyway. Good riddance, Favreau. Also, if Marvel's movie pattern continues, IM3 will end up like Spidey and X-Men 3 anyway..

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Second movie wasn't crappy, what the hell? The only thing I hated about the second movie was that Dismal replaced Terrance Howard. They're a bunch of cheap assholes that care more about lining their pockets than they do about making good films.

If they made a good IM3 the money would make itself back. What about this don't they understand? What about this doesn't ANY studio understand anymore?

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Ending fights of both movies were a disappointment.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

First one was a lot more entertaining than I expected it to be and the second one was a disappointment because it couldn't live up to the first one.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

First one started real high, ended real low. Second one was in the middle the whole way through. Honestly I prefer the second over the first though.

wtf? 1 was fucking awesome, 2 was fucking pimp, shit man you guys got golden ice pupils for them eyes or somethin

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Second movie wasn't crappy, what the hell? The only thing I hated about the second movie was that Dismal replaced Terrance Howard. They're a bunch of cheap assholes that care more about lining their pockets than they do about making good films.

If they made a good IM3 the money would make itself back. What about this don't they understand? What about this doesn't ANY studio understand anymore?
    It wasn't all the studio's fault. Terrence Howard has a reputation for being rather difficult on set. No filmmaker is gonna ask you back if you're a consistent asshole on set (unless you're Russel Crowe).

Personally, I liked Don Cheadle's performance. While he hardly had Howard's physical presence, his command of the camera was equal, I'd say. My point of contention was Mickey Rourke's Vanko and Johansson's Black Widow. Maybe it was the ubiquitous dilemma of character-cramming, but their performances just seemed so wooden.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    It wasn't all the studio's fault. Terrence Howard has a reputation for being rather difficult on set. No filmmaker is gonna ask you back if you're a consistent asshole on set (unless you're Russel Crowe).

Also, if Marvel's movie pattern continues, IM3 will end up like Spidey and X-Men 3
    Except neither of those movies were Marvel's.

There is no pattern.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Riposte View Post
    Except neither of those movies were Marvel's.

There is no pattern.
    There is a pattern.
    3s always suck. I can't think of an exception.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

First movie was excellent. Second movie was just 'good'. The reason it 'looked like shit' to some is because it had super high expectations after the first blockbuster success. That's my view on it, anyway. As long as 3 has Robert Downey Jr, it'll still be pretty good.. but who knows with the new directing crew.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    There is a pattern.
    Die Hard.

Indiana Jones.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Alien 3

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    There is a pattern.
    Undisputed 3.

3 > 2 > 1, quite the twist in order, imo

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

1 was awesome
    2 sucked
    3 has potential?

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

oh and...

star trek 3, best they could have done after wrath of khan

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

The Godfather III

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    The Godfather III
    trolololol

2 was decent, but I think they just tried to put too much into it, and it seems like they're trying to do more of it with 3.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast