1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 0 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 59 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 11 hours, 0 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 22 hours, 59 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Shadowmoon

craftsmanship/ magic craft synthesis recipies

Hey all. So back when SE released the stat info, they said some crafts use craftsmanship and other crafts used magic craftsmanship. With the new addition of coatee we can now make a solid magicraft set so lets get a list rolling of which synths take magic?

so far buffalo dyes take it, which i would imagine extends to all dyes. Armorsmith rings were also a lot easier for me to make with a magic set. anyone find any others?

Well, this set afforded me a craftsmenship set. Level 31, 96-101 crafts, 50-56 m. crafts, and 39-49 control.

Doing a hell of a lot better on cloth with this set, even before ranking up (was 30 until today). Cloth seems likely to use crafts, but it's harder to test on finished gear. Will try with threads when I get higher.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

im having an easier time on GLD,WVR,TAN and BSM after i changed to craftsmanship set.

and i still havent fail a single repair yet, 30+ times.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It would be nice if they told us what each stat (Craft, Mag Craft, Control) actually affects or what type of synths rely on one over the other.

I'd love to know that, but I reckon they won't tell us that much.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It might be a Finished Items (craftsmanship) vs. Materials/Parts/etc. (magic craftsmanship) type of correlation? (or vice-versa?)

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Shadowmoon

i dont know if its a blanket system like that. i just play it by ear and do it synth by synth.

like i think planks take craftsmanship. chestnut planks were really hard for me to do in my mcraft gear but i managed them ok in craft gear. Anyone tried dumping all their control and seeing how that went?

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisianna View Post
    Anyone tried dumping all their control and seeing how that went?
    Probably not that well because "Control helps to reduce the occurrence of aetherial sparking..." so it doesn't doesn't actually 'help' synthing.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

i dont know if its a blanket system like that. i just play it by ear and do it synth by synth.

like i think planks take craftsmanship. chestnut planks were really hard for me to do in my mcraft gear but i managed them ok in craft gear. Anyone tried dumping all their control and seeing how that went?
    I dumped all my control and noticed that I would get sparking after only 2 touch ups when crafting a weapon. Ended up switching back to my previous set up except i switched out my smithy gloves for the new linen gloves

If I had to make a guess, I would presume that craftmanship applies to synths that require only physical output so to speak, such as crafting planks from wood, making dyes from moss, and a boring normal iron sword from iron and whatever a sword needs to be made. Magic craftmanship would apply to synths that require a magical element to be made, such as potions from various ingredients, sand enchanted with magical energy to become shards, a wand being crafted from wood and other ingredients, or armor that's has some sort of magical enchantments of some sort on it.

That's just my personal guess though.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Undermine

I think this is pretty straightforward and I challenge anyone to test me on it. If you're using the right stats on the right recipes you should notice a difference in progress and quality with each action. Magic craft applies to finished items with stats on them, and craftsmanship applies to anything that has no stats on it. When you craft something, if it has stats an elemental wheel appears next to the preview. Since gear has elements associated with it (even if they're 0) I suggest this as the connection to the "magic" craftsmanship stat.

The question is: If your off-hand has better of a certain stat, do you get that benefit by using your off-hand or do the stats just sum up from both hands?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'm almost certain that your main and off hand stats do not combine in any way and you'll only be receiving the stats of the tool you decide to use.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Control also does what Craftmanship does but probably to a much smaller extent.
    That said, the JP version of the same article has a slightly different wording (as usual).

Taken from YG forums:
    Q. クラフターのステータス、「物理加

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And it is by recipe, not by craft. No point giving you 2 tools otherwise with each focusing on one stat.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

^
    Code:
    Q. クラフターのステータス、「物理加工」「魔法加工」「変質制御」にはそれぞれどのような意味があるのでしょ  うか?
    A. レシピには、進捗や品質の上昇量が「物理加工」に影響されやすいものと、「魔法加工」に影響されやすいもの   があり、影響する比率もレシピごとに異なります。「変質制御」には「物理加工」「魔法加工」両方の効果があ   るだけでなく、火花が発生しにくくなる効果があります。
    レシピの難易度に比べてこれらの性能が低すぎると、作業に成功しても進捗と品質があまり上昇しないなどの影  響があります。
    It says that magic craftmanship and craftmanship have an effect on both progession and quality depending on the recipes. The english version replaced quality with chance of success.

It also says that control doesn't only have have the same effect as both magic craftmanship and craftmaship (on progression and quality) but it also make sparkling less likely to happen.
    The english version says that it affect both type of recipe instead of it having also the same effect as the other 2 attributes.
    Edit: Just to make it clear, not my translation. Just quoted from the original post on YG.

maybe easier to test on low level items, but if the quality thing is true, then wouldn't it be easier to see if one gets higher quality gain with M.crafts vs crafts?

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Shadowmoon

Quote Originally Posted by neptunet View Post
    I think this is pretty straightforward and I challenge anyone to test me on it. If you're using the right stats on the right recipes you should notice a difference in progress and quality with each action.
    true most likely. i see noticeable differences on progress gain with different recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by neptunet View Post
    Magic craft applies to finished items with stats on them, and craftsmanship applies to anything that has no stats on it. When you craft something, if it has stats an elemental wheel appears next to the preview. Since gear has elements associated with it (even if they're 0) I suggest this as the connection to the "magic" craftsmanship stat.

The question is: If your off-hand has better of a certain stat, do you get that benefit by using your off-hand or do the stats just sum up from both hands?
    false. case in point is iron/silver rings. if youre already well past them you cant really test this, but if youre ~25 make them with 0 mcraft then put on a full mcraft set. youll see a noticeable difference.

also thanks for the translation cjskater. if it also factors into quality gains itll be even more important to start finding which stat goes to which craft to improve HQ chances.
    and that bit about control is super useful. LS mate of mine was making iron plate gear, but switch to more craft items after patch and couldnt make them anymore. once he put his control gear back on he was able to make them just fine.

side note: i think bas-relief saws are M.Craft. id imagine polished iron pickaxes are mcraft as well. anyone able to test?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

and that bit about control is super useful. LS mate of mine was making iron plate gear, but switch to more craft items after patch and couldnt make them anymore. once he put his control gear back on he was able to make them just fine.
    correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't SE state that control only helped with lessening sparks? in which case you shouldn't really be seeing if you're spamming standard?

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Control helps to reduce the occurrence of aetherial sparking (see below), and exerts its influence over both types of recipes just mentioned.
    http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...f271d7a0a84d5f

The "exert's its influence" part could simply be in regard to stopping sparking in both types of recipes. Since they don't mention what else it could be, all we have is sparking and theories.

It's annoying that they don't tell us outright, as a translation could give us misunderstandings that the devs didn't intend to give.