+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby names!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Baby names!

We have girl names picked out, but we can't agree on boy names. Names she likes so far are Ian, Eli, Owen, and Harrison. I've been tasked by the misses to come up with a list of 5 names I like. I think Ian/Eli are ok and I also like Chase, Charles (Charlie), but I can't really get past that. It's just hard because she's dead set on a moderately unique name. So...?

Btw, I realize that this thread can only end in win. Hopefully it will be good for a few chuckles while I bang my head against a wall trying to come up with names.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

"I'd call him Pizza Pussy Santa, because everybody likes at least one of those things." - Dave Atell

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

a nice unique name is fine, just dont go with the faggotry spelling. seriously its the stupidest thing in the world. If your kids name is spelled one way normally, dont add fancy fuckups to it just to be "unique and colorful" people do that in MMOs, you might as well call them Xxlordelixx

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Bovice

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I think Eli is one of those names everybody thinks nobody is going to name their kid and then there are 4 in every classroom (My sister is naming hers Eli).

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Just as a reference for what I meant by unique, the girl name we settled on is Adelle. @Bigrouga sadly I think Pizza Pussy Santa would be too long of a name since my last name is three syllables ):

Be warned, the current crop of boys names are all "an" or "en" names. Ian, Brendan, Caiden, Aiden, Braden are all in my 2 year old son's daycare. I don't know if you care about having your kid grow up with the trendy name of the season.

aduidarnenye

Never name a baby a silly fad name. Go with something classical or they will hate it for their entire life. And totally don't go with a silly spelling. My middle name is "Dianne" but when I tell people I have to say "Dianne with two Ns" and basically my middle name has become "DiannewithtwoNs", and this is only a slightly odd spelling of the name.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

She's a teacher also and wanted to avoid our kid being a "1 of X" in a classroom. Guess I'll have to let her know she's not as unique as she thought. Nicely of course, since she's all pregnant and crazy...

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Go old school / classical. Charlie, Benjamin, Jack etc.

No more Aidens for the love of faggy fads.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Dontrel

[2012: Year of the Whore]
    BG Level

I always figured in a straight world I would have a kid named Lyric, Eros, Lyra (girls name obviously), Loki, etc.

But maybe my names are a little too original.. or too "ancient religion"~esque.

And to the above guy (above cream) I cannot agree more!! Off the top of my head I know six boys under the age of five named Aiden.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

LeBron

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Foras View Post
    LeBron
    But then won't he leave me for a better family?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

http://www.newbabynews.net/hospitals...babyID=h33-440

But seriously something classic with a normal spelling will do wonders, and make sure it doesn't rhyme with penis, gay or lady gaga.

Quote Originally Posted by Marked View Post
    She's a teacher also and wanted to avoid our kid being a "1 of X" in a classroom. Guess I'll have to let her know she's not as unique as she thought. Nicely of course, since she's all pregnant and crazy...
    There are plenty of resources to see what the top 10 names were in 2009 or 2008, etc.

Honestly, this is where my wife and I get into arguments. She wants a unique name because she likes it, and I want names with family or cultural significance. It's a hard argument because we have a number of "traditional" names in our families like John or Tim or Richard, and she refuses to use any of them, calling them "old fashioned."

The problem with that, as I see it, is that the old fashioned names will be the unique ones, because parents today seem to be in a big kick of names that all sound the same to me. There aren't any Charles or Stephens around right now. Also in my son's class are girls named Hannah, Jenna, Payton and Eva.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I can't really think of a ton of examples, but don't name it something like Brett (my first name). Whenever I introduce myself, I always get "Brent? Brad? Bryan? Jose?" etc. and it's really annoying. If you live in the south, I'd probably avoid Taylor or anything that sounds like another name when applied with a southern accent. Also strongly agree with Sonomaa on retarded spellings.

New Odin
    BG Level

Nico, Alex..

Gandalf

[2012: Year of the Whore]
    BG Level

And no names that can be mistaken for girl names. Taylor, Jamie, Loren(Lauren), Bobbie (if you're in the south)..

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Marked View Post
    But then won't he leave me for a better family?
    Not unless you live in Cleveland.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast