FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Tetsuya Nomura is supposed to talk about the "future of Final Fantasy" sometime "soon"... What this means is anyone's guess.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that these guys got sooooo ambitious with what to put into Versus XIII that eventually they just decided "Fuck this. This is truly the evolution of the RPG genre and the franchise... It is no longer a spinoff and will instead be called Final Fantasy XV!".

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and say that these guys got sooooo ambitious with what to put into Versus XIII that eventually they just decided "Fuck this. This is truly the evolution of the RPG genre and the franchise... It is no longer a spinoff and will instead be called Final Fantasy XV!".
    This is the same, sick fantasy I'm clinging to as well. Obviously not holding my breath, but XIII Versus is the only PS3 game I've been heavily anticipating for the last half decade. Sure, there were other releases that looked fun, but the scenery, themes, and general FF quirks leave me anxious.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

You're not the only people thinking this

Highly anticipate VS13 but hope it goes by a different name by virtue of the fact it's got almost nothing to do with FF13 now as with ever before, and also because a dissociation with 13 would actually do it some good.

I'm of the opinion that it could be really good, so calling it XV would be the best course of action.

New Odin
    BG Level

Tbh I don't see that ever happening. It seems clear at least to me that each mainline entry will be getting a lot of attention from S-E instead of disposing of the universe for the next mainline entry few years later. Tbh vXIII has no potential for this, it's already set in XIII mythos.

XV will no doubt get it's own set of games related to it, and will last for years before XVI is out.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I wouldn't mind all of this shit nearly as much if I wasn't aware that every day this game isn't out is another day Kingdom hearts 3 isn't in production.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    Tbh vXIII has no potential for this, it's already set in XIII mythos.
    i would have agreed with you, but Agito XIII serves as a precedent that backs the exact opposite of what you think

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Re: Final Fantasy Versus XIII

You guys who are able to anticipate a game for more than 6 months after its announced leave me in awe.

/nothingtocontribute.

I still need to play xiii-2. The good thing about these high selling offline games are that they go down in price fast as shit.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yeah you can pick up both 13 and 13-2 for around $20 each now.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    i would have agreed with you, but Agito XIII serves as a precedent that backs the exact opposite of what you think
    No potential for spin-off, or no potential for a mainline entry?

I still think that vXIII has potential to become a spin-off serie, like type-0. I do not agree that there is no difference between a spin-off and a mainline entry however.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

both.

granted Agito XIII became Type-0 and was effectively dissociated from XIII mythos, Versus could be renamed XV (or anything else) to a similar effect.
    Type-0 also already have Type-1 to 3 "protected" as IPs already..

I would also contend that giving it another name which doesnt contain XIII would make it easier for them to roll out any spin-offs from Versus if they wanted to.

New Odin
    BG Level

I don't really agree that renaming agito XIII to a spin-off title has nearly as much impact as renaming versus XIII to FFXV. Even if SE attempts to make a serie out of type-0. Whatever though... :D

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

it doesn't, but it just shows that it can be a possibility. my main point is more the renaming than whether its spin-off or main series.
    we do know that main series titles always get more promotion than the others.. tho Type-0 was accorded quite a fair bit of media buzz for a spin off PSP series. it may be due to its roots as being from the FFXIII universe.

vXIII would thus be hard to place anywhere else outside the main series because it's always been regarded as "main series" up to this point.. but there is no difficulty placing it anywhere else than as a part of XIII for sure... because vXIII has as much in common with XIII as FFVII has in common with FFX.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

vXIII would thus be hard to place anywhere else outside the main series because it's always been regarded as "main series" up to this point.. but there is no difficulty placing it anywhere else than as a part of XIII for sure... because vXIII has as much in common with XIII as FFVII has in common with FFX.
    you can say that about most #'d titles the only things they share are weapons monsters summons Moogles and Chocobo's (since #3!) so basically everything but the story

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

was effectively dissociated from XIII mythos
    Did they really get rid of the whole l'cie thing and any other lore that hinted towards being of the same universe? (I remember each nation having a l'cie that was chosen by their crystal, Gilgamesh being one, and whatnot.)

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

well, they were never even in the same universe to begin with
    the initial concept of FNC was a series of games connected not by world, setting or characters but by a common mythos..

what i had always found strange about this, was that this was essentially what Final Fantasy already was, except now with a much more specific set of mythos.

the concept of l'cie was retained in Type-0. but l'cie's are chosen by crystals and given focuses. there are no fal'cie that actually exist in type-0 either. Etro, Pulse and Lindzei are all name-dropped at best.

in VS13.. there is no reference to l'cie at all, and the only thing about the mythos that was shown was mention of Etro and Etro's Gate, which don't appear to function similarly to FF13. some indication was given to say that fal'cie would be in that game..

looking at them, the common mythos really isn't that common, which is probably one reason why Agito was renamed as well. even FF13s mythos has evolved with the introduction of 13-2, so conceptually they drift further and further apart.

similar mythos is pretty common in FF anyway. the concept of crystals controlling elements carried from FF1 to 3. of crystal granting jobs carried forward from FF3 to 5.. of the flow of life returning to the planet or some earthly source has been in FF7 and Spirits Within.. and so on...

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Next week’s issue of Famitsu will have a “surprise scoop” on a “long awaited title,” the back-pages of this week’s issue teases.

“The silence is broken on a long awaited title,” reads the magazine. “Information will be revealed at last.”

Additionally, the magazine will also have a “Huge Capcom Project” and Sony Computer Entertainment interview.

Before discovering this information at Game Nyarth, I was drafting a different post on a Final Fantasy Versus XIII rumor. I was still debating publishing it, considering the lack of credibility it has, but with Famitsu teasing a surprise scoop next week, I suppose it doesn’t do any harm to attach the almost standalone story below.

An anonymous post on 2ch claims an update on Final Fantasy Versus XIII will arrive via Weekly Jump (presumably in two weeks, on January 21), followed by a Versus XIII presentation on January 22.

Considering the source (anonymous, 2ch, etc.), the rumor’s credibility is weak. Jump usually leaks a week in advance, and there is no flying get (early magazine leaks) for Jump this week as the next issue isn’t scheduled for release until January 21. So if the rumor is true, we would likely find out next Wednesday, January 16.

But while we wait, don’t get excited. (You’re smarter than that.) There are grains of salt to take with this. Lots of them. So take a handful, at least.

A rumor similar to this one popped up in November, which mentioned a presentation between January 15 and 17. I would take it something like this would be held off until E3, especially with Lightning Returns being Square Enix’s main focus right now. But hey, we’re just reporting what we come across.
    http://gematsu.com/2013/01/surprise-...n-next-famitsu
    http://gamenyarth.blog67.fc2.com/blog-entry-12669.html
    http://hokanko-alt.ldblog.jp/archives/67777351.html
    http://anago.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1357684668/461
    http://thesilentchief.com/2012/11/15...xiii-expected/

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Inb4 a trailer with 10 seconds of new footage.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i came in here expecting to see new info and...

ok. better than nothing

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I can't wait for the "HEY GUYS ITS LAUNCH TITLE ON NEW CONSOLE :D!" >_>... would be kinda pissed.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

I've been thinking for months know they'll reannounce it for ps4 ~_~

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 285 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast