Page 54 of 285 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 ... LastLast
    Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

It's really all a matter of preference no matter what it comes down to. For example, I fucking LOVE the Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood JP cast. They are fucking perfect, all of them. Even though the English voice casting was also very good, I will always prefer the JP just because I myself, believe it is better, even if I don't understand a word of it.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Cowboy Bebop is seriously the one animeu that is much better in English. Death Note and Code Geass are also up there as well.

Regardless, I full on play video games and watch anime/JP TV with Japanese Audio and English subtitles where available, or no subtitles at all. It helps me more if I'm constantly listening to Japanese, as I continue my personal study of the language by immersing myself in it in any way that I can.

Despite this, English Dubs aren't usually terrible at all, but the liking of JP culture can really supercede the perception of how bad a dub can actually be these days.
    Sho, you mah dawg but JP Geass shits all over the English dub. I mean, Charles is Wakamoto for one. I shouldn't even need to say more than that but Lelouch and Suzaku in the JP original? Much better than English ver.

Tell me that doesn't inspire you, son!

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Omniyoji View Post
    A lot of people (Americans) don't like to read.
    This is a dumb response and you should feel bad.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Everything on the internet is dumb, like most of the posts in this thread for example...

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I like english dubs over anything wanna fight about it? Yeah some strange voices here and there but whatever. Not like I'm going to wait for the Japanese dub of Adventure Time and then for subs.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Why would you wait for a JP dub of Adventure Time? A vast majority of the time, stuff is best in its native language. I bet a JP Adventure Time wouldn't be that hot.
    You need a better example, dawg.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Why would you wait for a JP dub of Adventure Time? A vast majority of the time, stuff is best in its native language. I bet a JP Adventure Time wouldn't be that hot.
    You need a better example, dawg.
    This is where I disagree. The quality is quite literally lost in translation because I don't understand it.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Sho, you mah dawg but JP Geass shits all over the English dub. I mean, Charles is Wakamoto for one. I shouldn't even need to say more than that but Lelouch and Suzaku in the JP original? Much better than English ver.

Wasn't inspired till they started chanting in English at the end lol

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    This is where I disagree. The quality is quite literally lost in translation because I don't understand it.
    My limited knowledge of Spanish and Japanese tells me that often times things quite literally ARE lost in translation in the English dubs of things.
    Like, when you watch the Eng dub you completely miss out on things they didn't bother to translate or straight up changed. This is also part of the reason I enjoy subs, I'm not always able to pick up on it since I don't know a ton of either language but sometimes I can go "Hey, that's not what they said!" and have an increased understanding of the 'actual' message that was meant to be sent.

I only feel like there are two truly important things to enjoying media, and like everything else this is personal opinion. But, I need to understand the content of the message and I need to understand the emotions and context of the message. Generally speaking, native language delivers the second better than any subsequent dub in any language. I can't say why this is the case and there's definitely exceptions but it is what it is. The first part? Subtitles do that just fine unless the translation is mucked up (which can certainly happen). Of course dubs do the same thing too with the added benefit of you not having to look at the part of the screen where the words are, but I generally find myself doing that even with an English dub, personally. If there's an option to turn on subtitles I generally do it.

Everyone has their own way to enjoy content. If you want to hate anything but English in your media, such is your prerogative.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

blah blah blah, personal preference.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Well gee, its almost like we recognize that's the case but would still like to discuss things on a forum.

I mean, shit. If we remove discussion about everything that's personal preference/opinion this forum would be empty outside of the FFXI section! I'm not sure what you're doing aside from adding +1 to your post count, my dude.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

It wasn't like that. Just seems no matter what you say in this thread, no one is gonna understand that simple fact lol. Everyone is gonna be different.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm Chinese so I like to seek out Cantonese dubs where possible for the slapstick they add to it. TTGL in Cantonese was awesome, so was SOA.I'm also sad enough to have watched each DBZ, SOA, TTGL, YYH 3 times over, 1 for each dub lol

Regarding JP stuff dubbed from English stuff, I found Pacific Rim in JP during my travels and decided to download that. The subtitles were just word for word the English script, but regardless, it was a cool watch. The devil may cry anime, despite coming out in JP first, didn't seem too good compared to when they brought in Reuben Langdon back in as Dante which made the anime really enjoyable (as far as I knew, there was no JP dante until the anime turned up)

Dragonball Z has come a long way now and exemplified in Dragonball Kai with the English dub which I thought was just brilliant, as well as fixing any annoyances with their original run (i.e. Android 16 and Android 19's voice). No extra lines added, follows the JP script nearly word for word with some natural adjustments.

I'm unsure if FFX remastered used the same audio or whether it was re-recorded, but the problem with the original FFX was the voice actors having to work with the onscreen mouth flaps which presented a problem for the English ones, but was fine in JP, so parts of it sounded plain awkward. Does the remastered one still sound awkward? I brought some weird dvd on ebay which had all JP cutscenes and it was noticably better.

However, things are rather good nowadays and I'll happily listen to either dub, with Cantonese on top of available.

If anyone needs reminders of absolute horrible dubs, go check out Sonic Adventure in English XD

Back then in that era it's true a lot of games had bad dubs, either due to inexperience or it's still relatively fresh. That stereotypical view has persisted somewhat but it's really not that bad these days.

If anything, of recent I found the english dubs that also dub the honorifics a bit weird or hard to listen to, dunno if this resonates with anyone.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    If anything, of recent I found the english dubs that also dub the honorifics a bit weird or hard to listen to, dunno if this resonates with anyone.
    Yes, its really awkward.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yes, its really awkward.
    For this reason I was unable to watch (listen? while i FFXIV) Lucky Star and Accel World in English

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i'm not so much concerned about things being lost in translation sometimes.. because nothing translates perfectly and minor nuances have to be omitted. but i will have to agree that most things sound better in native language.

that being said.. theres a very huge difference in the way voice actors stylize the way they speak in English and Japanese. For the Japanese seiryus, it really is like an art form and by now each vocal caharacteristic has more or less a stereotypical sound. However, as fitting as it may sound, its also ridiculously parodic and i can assure you no sane person naturally speaks like that code geass emperor's speech in Japan.

English VAs don't usually apply such a formalized (almost formulaic) approach, so it would seem as though every single VA cast is a risk being taken. I'd think there are only 2 places where a more structured approach to voice acting is applied, and thats in cartoon and theater (which would probably explain why FF12 had such good voice acting. practically everyone on it had cartoon or stage experience). Casting for video game VAs generally don't seem to be treated the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    However, things are rather good nowadays and I'll happily listen to either dub, with Cantonese on top of available.
    hahaha omg i'd pay to listen to any of the FF villians being voiced over in Canto. that would be hilarious, and awesome.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Breh, I love both JP and NA versions of that speech. That speech is just amazing in and of itself because of it's actual truths that can be applied to RL, lol.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

English version was good but Wakamoto brings that power. Dude's so boss they rewrite characters to fit him.
    Straight up superstar power mang.

I'm all with Char on this one. Spanish films in Spanish, Japanese in Japanese, etc etc. I remember watching Pans Lab a while back and just catching the Eng subs and noticing every once in a while a change from the intended dialogue spoken. I don't know much Japanese, but I've become accustomed to some of these changes quite often, really minuscule nuances. Just the way words and sentences are stressed in the original media are better understood with subs than with a dub where often due to poor translation of the original media, the VO's really don't match the characters dialogue as it was meant to be.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

My limited knowledge of Spanish and Japanese tells me that often times things quite literally ARE lost in translation in the English dubs of things.
    Like, when you watch the Eng dub you completely miss out on things they didn't bother to translate or straight up changed. This is also part of the reason I enjoy subs, I'm not always able to pick up on it since I don't know a ton of either language but sometimes I can go "Hey, that's not what they said!" and have an increased understanding of the 'actual' message that was meant to be sent.
    Yes, this.
    This point is eventually brought up when the dub/sub subject is breached, and it always amounts to this.

I understand Japanese better than I can speak it, and this is always the issue that grinds my gears. Stop trying to change what was said, and just say what was literally said. Yes, there are times where changing around some dialoge is needed obviously, but to change the whole meaning of what was said? It happens way too much, and this is the number one reason why it's bullshit. Hell, and this applies to subtitles as well, a lot of the times the subtitles will be completly different from what was said, and then of course the dub is even further off. If you want the most acuracy, a fan sub is the best it gets next to understanding the language.

I also agree with the statment "it sounds best in its natural language". Idc what it is, i'm listening to it in french, cantonese, spanish, etc.

Closed Thread
Page 54 of 285 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 ... LastLast