Closed Thread
Page 55 of 285 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast

I dunno if it sounding better in original language is a thing but Spira is onto something about JP VA being very formulaic. I often make the joke that there's only 5 different voices per gender for each age range and that's probably why. English VA tends to be more varied and interesting, but that also means there's more room for things that are awful.

There are also cases of things that don't translate well.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

There's only like 5 English VAs total (this is hyperbole, I know some of you won't understand that without me typing it here) though so I don't know what you're talkn' aboot.

That ultimately ENG VA show more range than JP? From what I've heard at least this seems to be the case except for like Liam O'Brian who pretty much sounds the same in every game (but it's not like his voice is a stereotype for any character lol.)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I really don't agree with that at all, especially when you got JYB and Steven Blum and the like runnin' around sounding exactly the same in everything. (And that's half the roles right there, lel)
    What range? I mean, dang.

I honestly feel though that both sides of the fence suffer from the same thing with the folks running the show asking them to use the same voice. For example, Norio Wakamoto has range but you hear the same voice in nearly everything. Why? Because the directors want his iconic voice. (This is probably also true for JYB and others)

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    I really don't agree with that at all, especially when you got JYB and Steven Blum and the like runnin' around sounding exactly the same in everything. (And that's half the roles right there, lel)
    What range? I mean, dang.

I honestly feel though that both sides of the fence suffer from the same thing with the folks running the show asking them to use the same voice. For example, Norio Wakamoto has range but you hear the same voice in nearly everything. Why? Because the directors want his iconic voice. (This is probably also true for JYB and others)
    Steve Blum is more surprising than JYB, there have been plenty of games where I straight up didn't recognize his voice until credits. Laura Bailey is the same and Yuri Lowenthal. Though when you're in as many games/animations as these guys there is bound to be overlap. Could be a case of it being easier to notice in native language, but that's also a reason I enjoy a good dub.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Steve Blum is more surprising than JYB, there have been plenty of games where I straight up didn't recognize his voice until credits. Laura Bailey is the same and Yuri Lowenthal. Though when you're in as many games/animations as these guys there is bound to be overlap. Could be a case of it being easier to notice in native language, but that's also a reason I enjoy a good dub.
    Its not "there is bound to be overlap". Its the same voice is 90% of stuff they are in.
    Just go look up any of those "the many voices of xyz" videos on youtube and you'll hear the exact same voice with the exact same inflection used in MOST of the stuff they appear in.

Again, not downplaying their talent but its quite literally the thing you are riding the JPs for; but I don't think its their fault. I'm fairly certain they get asked to use the same voice because that's what people want.

Also, there hasn't been a single time where I didn't recognize Steven Blum lol

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

People are lazy and don't want to read. I hate dubs. Period.

I'm sure SE could find fan boys to subtitle XV. Pay them a fair wage and its all gravy. If you can't read, go back to school.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Perhaps NK will target the Playstation division and demand the dub is taken down. Merry Christmas.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

>__>

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Its not "there is bound to be overlap". Its the same voice is 90% of stuff they are in.
    Just go look up any of those "the many voices of xyz" videos on youtube and you'll hear the exact same voice with the exact same inflection used in MOST of the stuff they appear in.

Again, not downplaying their talent but its quite literally the thing you are riding the JPs for; but I don't think its their fault. I'm fairly certain they get asked to use the same voice because that's what people want.

Is that why pretty much all JP moeblob (in some cases main cast) girls sound exactly the same to me? Shit gets annoying. I guess that's what Japanese people want.

Quote Originally Posted by vagus View Post
    People are lazy and don't want to read. I hate dubs. Period.

I'm sure SE could find fan boys to subtitle XV. Pay them a fair wage and its all gravy. If you can't read, go back to school.
    I am open minded to both. If JP is vastly superior, there is def no contest, will always go subs no matter what. In the case of Code Geass though, I honestly think both are equally good. I am finding myself switching between the two a lot.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

JPs are awful like that.
    You best believe they rage over dumb stuff like seiyuu voices and things of that nature. Ayup.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

We've had what? Like 3 pages of people either saying they hate or like dubs? Can we stop bumping this thread until there's more actual news about the game? =X

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I'd say I saw it coming considering the discussion sparked from the dubbed trailer lol.

At least there's discussion, unlike the Suikoden thread which nearly became a bannable offense if you bumped it without any legit news.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I don't care about the fan of being a dub or not, honest opinion the voices just don't fit well at all. It's like a group of friends from the US with European tour guides that showing them around.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    I don't care about the fan of being a dub or not, honest opinion the voices just don't fit well at all. It's like a group of friends from the US with European tour guides that showing them around.
    Is that not almost exactly what's happening in the trailer?

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

More or less yeah. "Oh ma gawd is dat on fiyah?" "Mm..Yes and it's called an Aethershard you twat"

I always find myself amused when dub-haters wax on terribleness, but then go on to admit they never listen to things (in their entirety). For some it's definitely a weeaboo thing. Others is more a case of what they heard first searing into their brain. Too many just want to seem to be dicks about it. Meanwhile, getting art out there in whatever form it takes strikes me as far more important to societal growth than imposing silly native-only restrictions. Fuck, if I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone say anime is just for kids.

More specific to the trailer, I think what bugs me most is not the voices, but the inconsistency in the audio. Some are louder, perhaps too loud, to play over the background music. This is probably leading to the feeling some may be getting of the VA not really putting enough into it. But at the same time, it's not like there's been a whole lot of script there. Like it or not, though, dubs help get the game here. So, go on and thank all those lazy people who hate reading or whatever, because you can bet these VAs aren't doing it to roll around in fat stacks. A lot of 'em are nerds like the rest of us. They just opted to pursue a role in producing over simply consuming, and nowadays you can bet one can't just walk into a studio somewhere and land a major role as a first-time gig. If hearing the same voices too often is genuinely a beef, that isn't their problem, but rather the lack of media production demanding more actors. Cuz, you know, cartoons are for kids 'n shit.

But maybe I'm bias because I've humanized them and even interacted with a few over the past year.

I never doubted this wasn't the case for ENG VA as well, but certainly easier to find something unique and interesting even if it isn't very good. I know JP VA get asked to do a thing but overall ENG VA are more varied and expected to adhere to stereotypes a lot less.

The overlap is that you get similar characters and personalities so you get familiar voices for them. Steve Blum, Troy Baker, Yuri Lowenthal and Laura Bailey/Tara Strong in particular get lots of the same character which is true for JPs as well. I can't remember any instance of ENG VA trying to fit a particular character stereotype and not just a more general one which happens far more for JPs in media. They expect a character to sound a certain way and can get a lot of actors to use that voice. For ENG VA that only tends to happen with celebrity voices (mimicry) or when you have someone famous that you want recognized for their voice.

And I watched the Steve Blum (and a few others) voices and I really don't understand what you mean. I'd say it was an even split between the common voices they use and unique voices/voice filters, but it's really easy to hear similarities when you see them do a bunch of voices in a row.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    certainly easier to find something unique and interesting even if it isn't very good.
    I guess that's true.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Quote Originally Posted by Hitoshura View Post
    I'd say I saw it coming considering the discussion sparked from the dubbed trailer lol.

At least there's discussion, unlike the Suikoden thread which nearly became a bannable offense if you bumped it without any legit news.
    Or in my case, you make a comment after someone bumps it.

Closed Thread
Page 55 of 285 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast