• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Went from wireless to wired... now connection sucks balls

In my dorm room we had a router until yesterday when it peaced out. I bought 5 meters of cat-5 cable to run to my desk until we get a new router/we move dorms, whichever comes first. When we had the router, I had a fantastic connection. Now my browser often times out when I go to a different site, and my WoW latency likes to hang out around 4000ms (up from 370ish using the router.) My cable is plugged into the same hole in the wall that the router was hooked into. What are some possible things I could try to rectify this?

Things I have tried:
    I have tested my connection with all four of the jacks that we have in this room.
    I have tested with each of my roommates' cables.
    I have made sure my network adapter's drivers are up to date.

Seeing as to how I don't know a lot about this kind of stuff, I've tried almost nothing and I'm all out of ideas. Halp!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Double check to make sure your wireless is turned off and it isn't just grabbing a different network that you have poor signal from (like a campus wireless or something).

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

I disabled my wireless adapter and am met with the same results. Thanks for the suggestion, though.