• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

trying to decide on a new phone, and i need help

i have a iphone 3g but i wanted to upgrade since this phone is super slow now and its just failing all over the place

my first thought was to get iphone 4 but the galaxy s (samsung captivate) looks pretty nice too. the 16gig memory plus 32gig extra sounds really nice

any other suggestions?
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...KAATT-features

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I'm currently holding out for iPhone 5 (Currently have 3GS and contract is up around the time of the expected release of 5 in june) but if it ends up sucking (meaning not that big of an improvement over 4) then I'll probably go for the Atrix:
    http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...WT.mc_ev=click

Yeah I know it doesn't help since neither one is released yet. If I had to choose something on the market now it would be a Droid X. Played around with one for a bit and instantly fell in love with it.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

New phones hitting Feb 7th. Might as well wait.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I have a captivate myself and while I like my phone, there are a few things you should know about it. The big point is that samsung is really really really really really bad at updating their mobile phones. The captivate is one of the few unlucky galaxy S based phones to still be on android 2.1 when 2.2 has been out for quite some time. Course if you enjoy tinkering with your phone and rooting it, you can easily overcome this problem with flashing a custom rom that's based on 2.2 (which I did a few weeks ago and the difference is night and day).

The other thing is that the GPS on certain versions of the phone works really well. However, a large amount of it doesn't. So it's kind of hit or miss if you'll get one with a working GPS on it. This may or may not be an issue to some but I figured I would throw that out there.

Knowing what I know now about the captivate, I would honestly wait on the atrix. Att is expected to roll out 4G sometime this year and the fact that it has a dual-core processor alone just makes the atrix more appealing than the captivate. Not the mention the front facing camera and HDMI capability.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Android devices in general should see a fairly decent refresh soon enough - dual core devices and such.

May also want to keep an eye on the software update for the Nokia N8, provided you aren't hard-set on Android or iOS. It's a rather nice piece of hardware. One of my brothers has one as one of his current phones, and likes it a lot (he used to manage at an AT&T reseller, and has owned a lot of phones). That'd be one you'd need to buy as an unlocked phone (not as bad as some, but at $430, still more than a subsidized phone).

any clue as to when the atrix is going to be released?

also, my price range is anything up to $250. and do you guys know if att will change their data plan when they switch to 4G?

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

I have a captivate and the gps fucking sucks ass. I have just resorted to using google maps without the gps function.

My suggestion is to switch to verizon when the thunderbolt comes out on the 14th, or possibly the 24th.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by untouchable View Post
    any clue as to when the atrix is going to be released?

also, my price range is anything up to $250. and do you guys know if att will change their data plan when they switch to 4G?
    Ive seen different dates, but expect it in mid march. Also saw a rumor that it might only be $150 with the docking accessories @$60 each. Would be a very tempting buy at those prices.