+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 352 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die (PS3/360/PC)

Formerly known as "Project Dark", it has been hyped as the "spiritual successor" to 2009's Demon's Souls. Just like Demon's Souls was, it is being developed by From Software, but this time it will be published by Namco Bandai. It will also be on the 360.

From the latest famitsu, via neogaf

http://i55.tinypic.com/196ow3.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/23kbzg7.jpg
    More pictures at:
    http://www.famitsu.com/news/201102/03039956.html

- This is the official title of what was previously Project Dark

- This time they want to increase the amount of field exploration in the game.
    - All fields are seamless, so whatever you can see, you can reach and explore. If you see a fortress or castle walls in the distance, you can eventually get there.
    - There will be no map display in the game, just a position display marker.

- They aim to make the game just as challenging than Demon's Souls, but also just as rewarding when you succeed. The sense of achievement is important.

- The gameplay will be similar to Demon's Souls in concept, where it's about trial and error and learning from your mistakes to play better.

- The game does not share the same world and story as Demon's Souls.
    - The game will not use the same format as Demon's Souls in terms of having 5 worlds connected via a hub.

- Instead all maps in the game will be linked seamlessly in a connected world. The pace of the game will feel more about exploration and discovering locations, which you can then go inside into a dungeon or whatever and explore the interior further.
    - There will be more complex level designs in the game using more vertical design in areas and such.

- The world setting is based on medieval dark fantasy, and will contain themes like "high fantasy of kings and knights", "death and the depths of the earth", and "the flames of chaos".

Edit: More details added.

- The character creation process will not be class based.
    - The play style of the player character will have much more freedom this time.
    - There will be many more spells and items, and the animation and uniqueness of weapons will also be increased.

- The online elements are very similar to Demon's Souls. There is cooperative and PvP.
    - You can still leave messages, and see players who died at various places.
    - There will be no Soul Tendency this time because they don't want to have to use dedicated servers to handle that shit again.
    - Instead this time there will be more features allowing players to engage in "mutual role playing" which they say are still under wraps. They'll reveal more when it's time.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420440
    EDIT: Another source: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/01/dark_souls/

Arrows and Molotov cocktails are just some of the things being tossed your way as you try to fend off enemies right in front of you. The dragon, which remained sound asleep, will wake up if you make too much noise, and if you want to snag the treasure right next to it, you're going to have to be very quiet about it. In this part of the demo, the goal was to reach the castle grounds, and we watched as the knight moved through narrow corridors and walkways and climbed battlements. A boss waited for us at the end of this area, a big brute with horns and an enormous club. It was slow, but there were archers on the parapet that made it difficult to focus. We watched as the knight climbed up the ladder and took out the archers and eventually returned to the top and jumped off onto the head of the beast for some extra bloody damage. Kajii explained that Dark Souls lets you play how you want to play, by giving you the option to use a variety of weapons that will all perform differently. It all depends on your play style and what you feel comfortable with. You can duel-wield different weapon types if you prefer, and there are more than 100 types in the game.
    <<link removed due to new policy/copyright problems>>

Trailer (poor quality)

Newer trailer

I liked this especially:

There will be no Soul Tendency this time because they don't want to have to use dedicated servers to handle that shit again.
    Hehe. Well, I sincerely hope that they don't fuck it up by opening it up to a more free roam type environment. I kind of liked the hubs, in that it made it that much more stressful to spend 30 minutes creeping through a level (looking at you fucking 3-1 or 5-1) only to take a wrong step and plummet to your death... If they can get that sense of 'FUUUUCK! Ok ok, lets do this again, this is painfully fun.' feeling with a much more open environment I will be there on day one. If it ends up being a open world free for all PVP fuckfest (Red Dead style...) then I am not so excited.

Need more infos!

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I can't wait for this. Played the shit out of Demon's Souls.

I hope they keep the core mechanics of the game such as the combat, co-op, pvp elements, and the overall mood of the game.

Some suggestions for the next game:

-Each time a level is re-entered the mobs are randomly placed around the map. Not a necessarily a overhaul, but just moving them in slightly different spots so you are always on your toes when revisiting a level. Also when entering farther into a level and coming back, always have the enemy facing the player so you cannot cheap shot / farm the enemy with little effort.

-Leave any form of communication out of the game besides what the original has already established. Maybe a slight adjustment / additions of the original emotes. As it has been said numerous times already the mood is perfect the way it is. Voice and keyboard chat would detract from this immersion.

-Increase boss difficulty.

-Introduce additional puzzle elements to the game.

-Arena based PVP area. Maybe a wager system could be put in place for this. For example player 1 wagers 20,000 souls and player 2 can either offer the same or offer items or gear to match the currency of player 1. Both players would have to agree for the match to begin. Some sort of sophisticated matchmaking system would have to be in place for this. Probably similar to the existing PVE / PVP level caps of the original.

-More random world events.

-And the obvious: more worlds, weapons, bug fixes, additional balance between classes / weapons.

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I played 1 hr of DS, But I am hyped for this, I need to give DS a proper run

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm liking the sound of the exploration focus. As much as I enjoyed Demon's Souls, it was a very cramp and claustrophobic game. Something more open would be dandy, and possibly open up for some larger battle encounters.
    Spoiler: show
    Which I'll get raped in.

New Odin
    BG Level

Hopefully it'll be significantly harder, because we're already familiar with the battle system at this point. Fuck the newcomers.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Foras View Post
    -Each time a level is re-entered the mobs are randomly placed around the map. Not a necessarily a overhaul, but just moving them in slightly different spots so you are always on your toes when revisiting a level. Also when entering farther into a level and coming back, always have the enemy facing the player so you cannot cheap shot / farm the enemy with little effort.
    not sure how I feel about that... player ghosts alerting me to ambushes was one of the great things about Demon's Souls. maybe add some random enemies in some places, but keep some ambushes the same each time?

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Sounds awesome. I guess that means Demon's Souls online part is going to be disconnected once this releases? I remember reading it was renewed until sometime this year.

Daddy Warbucks
    BG Level

I put a lot of mileage into Demon's Souls so this is one of the most anticipated games for me. The one thing I hope they change that isn't on the list is the salvage drop rates, getting items like +5 sharp weapons was a giant pain in the ass if you did it legitimately.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    not sure how I feel about that... player ghosts alerting me to ambushes was one of the great things about Demon's Souls. maybe add some random enemies in some places, but keep some ambushes the same each time?
    I think it'll be good for the most part, half the reason why the game became so easy with practice was because you eventually learned all the mob positions, with random spawns it shouldn't kill the difficulty as much compared to Demon's Souls.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    I put a lot of mileage into Demon's Souls so this is one of the most anticipated games for me. The one thing I hope they change that isn't on the list is the salvage drop rates, getting items like +5 sharp weapons was a giant pain in the ass if you did it legitimately.

I think it'll be good for the most part, half the reason why the game became so easy with practice was because you eventually learned all the mob positions, with random spawns it shouldn't kill the difficulty as much compared to Demon's Souls.
    I just remember the first time going through 1-1 I must have spent hours just exploring and learning about the game. After clearing a few levels and coming back I just massacred everything in sight. I had learned how the game played by then, and my character was stronger but a major reason is because I knew exactly where every single spawn point was. I think the zone will always be easier once you clear it once, but for farming's sake I want some diversity and shit to pop out of holes, windows and walls that I would never expect to be there. I want to be scared I'm going to lose my souls at all times.

I can see the random mobs causing issues though. If they go the random route, that would be a major biotch to code and test for bugs and would eventually lead to abuse of some glitch. Or they go the 7 different pattern scenario which is only slightly better than original as there would be x,y,z possibilities on where the mobs are.

The only thing I care about is they don't dumb it down for the masses. It did well enough being challenging and not hand holding. So don't change it. If anything increase the difficulty. Hell let two phantoms invade at once with an army of black skeletons at their backs, bring the pain.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

text or voice chat please, i mean i always did the chatroom thing when me and friends would play but still. yey demon souls 2

I liked Demon's Souls, but it failed to meet my very high expectations. It wasn't as challenging as people put it(though I guess, relatively to most other modern titles it is) and how levels changed you was very unappealing in the long term. Great first impressions though. It was still a pretty good game, so I'd gladly play more even if this will be more of the same.

Online Dating DOES Work!!
    Sonic Ripoff of the Houe of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hiryo Randgris
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Demon's Souls was definitely one of those games that needed a sequel, because the first was pretty much just a drop in the ocean. The core gameplay of it is perfect imo, just needs a fuller world wich hopefully Dark Soul will have.

The play style of the player character will have much more freedom this time.
    I'm excited about this. Every video tutorial of every boss(save 1-2) is dodge like a boss and slash your(their) heart out. Not that that isn't fun, just with such an open game, you would think you could kill bosses without being an acrobat. Thats the only thing I want to see changed, bosses you can kill in a style that is based on your character's abilities (as well as player skill - inb4 im called a scrub).

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Demon's Souls is the best game on PS3 in my opinion, and a sequel that's fresh and new just like Demon's Souls would do it justice. Go forth, From Software. I believe in you.

New Odin
    BG Level

Was this said?

http://www.1up.com/news/demon-souls-sequel-revealed
    Unusually, Famitsu also revealed details on the overseas release of the sequel, which is apparently already in the works. According to the dev interview printed in the issue, the game is due out worldwide for both the PS3 and Xbox 360 by the end of this year, although it'll remain a PS3 excusive in Japan.
    This year will be pretty awesome for my PSP & PS3!

Also, isn't it Dark Souls?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Game of the decade getting a sequel? Been stoked about this since TGS, was just about to make this thread since the wheels are starting to turn.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/9782/darksoulsu.jpg

And Eurogamer says it will be harder: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...n-demons-souls

And if 360 version delays overseas release I will fucking rage.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Loved Demon Souls, hoping this one will have more of a fleshed out story.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Some better shots of the images in the magazine:

Also thread should be Dark Souls it seems, not singular.

New Odin
    BG Level

Damn, great job on that forest.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Damn those images make me EXCITE. You can tell from the images they are basically making this Demon's Souls 2 +1. Which I'm all for. Kind of how we should have got XI version 2 instead of XIV. Maybe I shouldn't go there though.