1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 31 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 28 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 18 hours, 31 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 15 hours, 28 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Letter from the Producer, II (2/1/2011)

Hello again, everyone, and welcome to the second official Letter from the Producer. As always, thank you for taking the time to read.

I’ve been worrying that I may have set the bar a little high for myself with my first letter. There was so much I wanted to cover that it didn’t take long before it expanded to its final, significant length. Afterwards, I noticed a number of posts criticizing me for my light-hearted tone. I apologize. Sometimes my personality gets the better of me. I hope you’ll be kind enough to allow me a certain amount of tomfoolery in the future.

I’ve made a few additions to the list I posted previously—this time regarding forthcoming changes to the Lodestone and other community-based features. (I originally intended for them to be released along with the rest of last week’s post, but I wrote them in right before the post went live and experienced a bit of an...editing fail. Sorry!)

So without further ado, here is the updated and amended list of changes.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7817/xivtable.png

As you can see, there are a number of changes planned for patch 1.15a. Once the patch goes live, the list will be updated, and we will continue to add even more changes. Many players have voiced their desire for a complete list of all planned changes, rather than a partial 30% list. I can only say I will personally be adding items to the list as soon as adequate testing and examination have been carried out. So continue to keep an eye on the Lodestone for all the latest news!

My next post will be dealing specifically with the battle system, and I am planning to conduct another players’ poll on the subject. I would very like much to hear all of your opinions again.

Until next time! ☺

FINAL FANTASY XIV Producer & Director, Naoki Yoshida

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Karina Silverstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Wait, what? People were criticizing his tone? Must be JPs... I really rather liked that he sounded like a human rather than a corporate robot. :/

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Karinastar View Post
    Wait, what? People were criticizing his tone? Must be JPs... I really rather liked that he sounded like a human rather than a corporate robot. :/
    Yeah, first thing I thought when I read that "Stupid JPs..."

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elrina Miona
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I agree, I thought it was pretty much a consensus that the tone of his previous letter was a positive thing. He didn't say nearly as much this time, although he kept the personal tone, which I thought was nice. At least he didn't change his mind about the letters staying somewhat informal, despite the naysayers.

The next letter will focus mainly on the battle system and there will be another poll, but I wonder if we'll get both at once, or if that letter will wait until the poll results are in. And if that's the case, if it's going to last two weeks again or not. Really curious as to what the questions will be, and what kind of influence they'll have. Especially if both letter and poll come at once, we might get some more detailed information about the actual questions (or at least an idea of why we're being asked certain questions) and what kind of impact the answers might have, which would be pretty awesome.

BG Level

I was shocked with the opening myself, how the hell can people criticize him since he's actually giving us info and leaving us in the dark like Tanaka did?

Still unsure on the job name changes and how it'd work in XIV, but the rest of it is great, although I wish he'd give us some insight on what companies are.

I thought it was the JPs automatically as well. Who the fuck would criticize a more personal tone?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I'm baffled at the fact there are some who criticized his tone. Damn, some folks taking gaming way to serious.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

No forums for NA, or just a typo? Not that I really give a shit, but found it interesting that NA is not listed.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Why would they need a NA specific forum? They're making forums based on languages spoken not zones. NA falls in the EN category.

New Odin
    BG Level

His tone was not professional, something some people would expect from a director/producer of a game.

Next poll & letter will be interesting.

BG Level

Still not a reason to complain. At least he sounds like he cares unlike Tanaka.

New Odin
    BG Level

To some people, that kind of tone would imply that he's taking his job too lightheartedly.

Anyway

Many players have voiced their desire for a complete list of all planned changes, rather than a partial 30% list.
    This makes it sound like this list has 30% of the planned changes in it, and 70% are missing, however I think the first letter made it sound like 30% of the changes in this list are ready at this point. So, which one is it?

Damn I can't wait for the next poll, depending on what the questions are it could turn out epic.

"Should we work on rehauling the combat system to work more like in..

...Final Fantasy XI?

...World of Warcraft?

...no current or upcoming game, and instead work on making the combat different from other MMO-titles?"

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I was confused, but perhaps he means people want more than just the patch 1.15a notes? Could he be referring to them as 30% of the overall changes? I'm not really sure tbh it seems unlikely that the changes in 1.15a so far represent 30% of their plans so far considering the depth of changes suggested in the overall table there.

Who the hell knows.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Afterwards, I noticed a number of posts criticizing me for my light-hearted tone. I apologize.
    woah woah woah, what? If any of the NA FFXIV community team read this, please make clear to the JP team that this is not the case at all! (at least outside of Japan)

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Looking forward to the next one about Battle System.

green jellybean
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    Many players have voiced their desire for a complete list of all planned changes, rather than a partial 30% list.
    This makes it sound like this list has 30% of the planned changes in it, and 70% are missing, however I think the first letter made it sound like 30% of the changes in this list are ready at this point. So, which one is it?
    I think all he means is that in his first letter he stated that these lists are not complete, and people were complaining that they wanted exact details instead of being surprised with more fixes on patch day. Its probably not very feasible for them to know until the last minute whether a change will work out ok, or cause severe problems. I'd much rather be surprised with more changes than just the list

This patch is supposed to be 30% of the list that was sent out earlier, the other 70% will be addressed in future patches. It is likely the other unmentioned changes were not listed at all, and are either small enhancements or things they were not sure would work out. It is exceedingly unlikely they will deliver more than what is promised from the list.

Vuitton

So is the only thing new on this list the lodestone shit?

If you stopped to actually learn something you might not post these uninformed posts.
    BG Level

Do I still have to spam my attack button with fukking delay/lag taking into account? is there an action queue implemented? I quit after first week

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by test123 View Post
    Do I still have to spam my attack button with fukking delay/lag taking into account? is there an action queue implemented? I quit after first week
    As long as you have the stamina you can perform the action you wish. There is no action queue really, however, if the name of the action on the stamina bar is white you can enter your next command. But, you can't stack up like 3-4 commands and have them execute in that order. I did some leves yesterday and was quite pleased at how the combat took place and had fun now that animations do not skip.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    I thought it was the JPs automatically as well. Who the fuck would criticize a more personal tone?
    Has to be them. Any man who uses the word "tomfoolery" correctly automatically earns my respect. This guy sounds great, and the changes look good. My only question, again, would be "why even release the game until half of this was already in?"

The game would have been fine had they simply put 50% of what we're seeing above in at launch. Its strange, and ultimately puts this cool guy in a tough situation. He's facing a lot of anger at people when its' really not his fault, but kudos to him for stepping up to the plate and getting things done.