BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The Wolverine (July 26th, 2013)

Fox, Darren Aronofsky, and Hugh Jackman are making The Wolverine, a sequel of sorts to X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It will focus on Wolverine's history in Japan.

Here is a cool interview with Hugh Jackman

Spoiler: show
    Hugh Jackman got on the phone Monday to talk to our Geoff Boucher about his upcoming projects. Here’s what he had to say about his return to the metal-clawed mutant persona that has been the signature role of his Hollywood career.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. (Fox)

Geoff Boucher: I remember coming by your office back in the summer of 2009, and you were already talking about your hopes of making a movie out of Marvel’s 1982 ”Wolverine” miniseries, the classic by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller. And now you’re doing just that — and with director Darren Aronofsky, of all people. You must be thrilled.

Hugh Jackman: I’m really, really pumped about it. I feel like all the planets are finally aligned to make a great movie. We finally have the character and with this mythology — ever since [the 2000 Bryan Singer film] “X-Men,” when I was kind of hanging around and reading all these comics, because I was cast before I ever read any X-Men comics, so I was trying to get my hands on everything. I remember saying to [producer] Lauren Shuler Donner, “Lauren, I don’t know about you, but I’ve seen this Japanese story, and I think it’s so good. It’s just genius, it’s brilliant.” And we kind of always talked about it from there on. I sort of even wanted to do that in the third X-Men movie at first, but we thought, no, we really need to establish who he is at first, and we did that [with "X-Men Origins: Wolverine"], and now this is sort of the cherry on top, to finally do it and have Darren Aronofsky direct it. I love his gung-ho attitude toward it and great vision. Straight off, it’s not a sequel, it’s a stand-alone, and I think we’re going to make one that people will describe as the best of the bunch.

Frank Miller's Wolverine in a vintage bit of action. (Marvel Comics)

GB: Well, it better be, right? I mean with that revered source material and the director of “Black Swan” and “The Wrestler” — not to mention a script by Christopher McQuarrie, who wrote “The Usual Suspects” – the expectations are going to be pretty high for this one.

HJ: Right, absolutely, and Chris McQuarrie has done a script that is just phenomenal. I read a story once that said that he wrote “The Usual Suspects” in 15 days, and with this one he said to me, “I just knew what I wanted, and it came out real easy.” And he’s done an unbelievable job with it, and with Darren it’s just really exciting. I’m as excited as anybody to see what we come up with. I know we’re going to be met with huge expectations. The expectations will be high, but he’s one of the great filmmakers out there. I worked with him before [on "The Fountain"], and I knew as soon as I met him that he should be doing movies like this. He’s been looking a long time, and I’ve asked him to do other ones, and this time it worked out. I’m beyond thrilled.

GB: Are you going to have to go back to that intense diet, eating whole chickens so you can get that muscle mass back up?

HJ: I’m on it right now, mate, already doing it. It’s 6,000 calories a day, it’s rough.

GB: How much you weighing?

HJ: Right now, I’m at 210.

GB: Wow, so you’re going to be bigger this time? Last time, you looked about, what, 190?

HJ: Yeah, right, I was 190, something like that. I don’t know how much I want to give away about it, but Darren said with the last one, ‘Hey you looked great, but you’re so tall that in those long shots you looked kind of like Clint Eastwood, and that’s not Wolverine.” He said that Wolverine, in the comics, is powerful, stocky, you know, he’s short and thick. So he said, ‘I want you to go there, get bigger.’ He’s going to come down after he gets done with all the black-tie events over and done with.

GB: That’s interesting because in comics, sure, Wolverine is quite short and almost hunched over at times, a sort of feral posture, and he’s bulky up high – he’s like the nasty bulldog of superheroes.

HJ: Yeah, he’s thick and it’s chunky and it’s powerful. I always think of Mike Tyson when he first came on the scene. Sometimes, he was a full foot shorter than his opponents and bent over [with this] massive build. There’s real power. You said bulldog, and that’s it exactly. Exactly. That’s what I’m going for, and if I have a massive heart attack first, well, you tell everyone what I was going for.

GB: Well, if you die that’s not really an issue, they can just use CG these days.

HJ: That’s right, just take the four movies and the Oscars hosting and mix them together and they should have enough.

– Geoff Boucher

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I like Jackman as Wolverine but 'Origins' was terrible, 'First Class' looks like it'll wind up terrible, X3 was terrible so natrually my outlook on this standalone is grim.

At least he'll get to have some fun playing a role he actually enjoys.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

all the elements that are going into it sound awesome, so I have some hope, but as you pointed out the last couple have been terribad, so yeah

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It's another Fox Marvel movie, so yeah it will be bad. Marvel has next to no say when it comes to these. Apparently the name of the movie is THE Wolverine. Ugh. Sounds awful just from that.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

There are rarely any good comic/game adaptations to movies, they never follow anything they're based off and are just put out there to make money. Gotta take it for what it is in that aspect. The movie will be a shitty xmen movie, like the ones before it, but it'll probably be at least half decent to torrent.

I remember I took a girl to see origins, and the scene where hes in the bathroom looking in the mirror with his claws out... god they just looked so retarded and poorly done.

I honestly don't mind HJ as wolverine, in fact I've always liked him for that part. I've always hated how he wasn't very "wolverine-y" and hated how bad and off target the movies were, but he's one of the few saving parts of the movies for me. If you can even call it that, that is. They would be utter shit in my mind if I didn't like at least that one aspect. Fuck how bad was origins lol poor deadpool, I'm worried about that one too.

Origins was up there with Ghost Rider imo. I probably still see this one though.

I didn't think origins was too awful, X3 was bad but I don't see why origins is taking so much heat.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Arvin View Post
    I didn't think origins was too awful, X3 was bad but I don't see why origins is taking so much heat.
    They used the Sabretooth is Wolverines brother storyline that was shown to not be true years ago
    What they with Deadpool, Gambit, and Maverick
    The CGI in some areas(bathroom scene) looked terrible
    The pointless inclusion of Cyclops+Emma Frost(as Silverfox's sister?)
    The overall plot was clumsily put together
    The helicopter scene was ridiculous
    and on a more personal note, WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO DEADPOOL?

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
    and on a more personal note, WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO DEADPOOL?
    The problem with this, is how scared I am for future Deadpools.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

I'm not too scared, except that it may never end up happening. Ryan Reynolds is a good choice, and he is a huge fan of the character and wants it to be true to the comics, and the script is being worked on by the Zombieland guys.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Aronofsky is directing and the script was written by the same guy who did The Usual Suspects? That's a hell of a start. And as much as the last two Wolverine related movies sucked, Hugh Jackman is still the right choice.

For whatever reason there is a string of shitty villains in movies now. Deedpools character wasnt developed at all in Origins and the whole movie suffered due to that fact in my opinion. They also spent all this time with other mutants that were poorly done and completely uninteresting. In X3 the whole mutants vs the cure was a poor choice also. I hated Superman Returns due to stupid portrayal of Lex.
    Dark Knight on the other hand was an example of a amazing villain and I hope that more of the movies can mimic that atleast to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Aronofsky is directing and the script was written by the same guy who did The Usual Suspects? That's a hell of a start.
    script writer and bryan singer wrote U.S.

singer wrote (with help) and directed x-men 1&2.

aronofsky's been trying to cash in on his street cred for a while, seems thats all it is to him.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Why do they keep making movies centered around one of the least interesting x-men chars?

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Brand recognition/popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz View Post
    Why do they keep making movies centered around one of the least interesting x-men chars?
    http://www.gifsoup.com/view2/1094135...la-bills-o.gif

dolla dolla bills yall

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz View Post
    I've been wondering this for a long time, Wolverine bores me so much.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth View Post
    I've been wondering this for a long time, Wolverine bores me so much.
    but millions of other people don't get bored by him and want a movie.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

It's not that he's boring... it's just that there are dozens of more interesting chars in the franchise.

I will just see because of Darren Aronofsky :O

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast