Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Island     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Dead Island

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1150440p1.html

When the axe sinks into rotten flesh, it buries deep, spraying gore with its impact. The blow cripples the shambling beast, buying precious seconds. But the strike, like its predecessors, is also costly. Repeated contact with ligament and bone has blunted the scavenged weapon. It will need repair soon, and if none can be made, it will be tossed aside in favor of something shiny and new.

This is the brutal combat of Dead Island, a world overrun by infected humans. They're aggressive beasties with superhuman strength and a taste for the red stuff. Like other zombie games (and there are many), the players are the last holdouts against the tide of a shuffling undead mob. And while it would be convenient to provide them with a magical room full of firearms with which to dispatch the problem, the makers of Dead Island have settled on a different approach.

The Royal Palms Resort is perched on the remote island of Banoi in Papua New Guinea. It's a tropical paradise turned tourist magnet, remote and exotic. Not the sort of place you'd expect to find scattered caches of weapons, boxes of grenades, rocket launchers leaning against walls, and mounted machine guns. In an effort to preserve that reality, Techland, the developers of Dead Island, have stripped those handy gaming conventions away, leaving a stark reality in their place.

Rather than run-and-gun their way through a meat maze, players will be forced to scavenge for objects and use them to beat their undead foes into submission. There are precious few firearms scattered around the island (and even less ammo), so the majority of the combat will be intimate. Knives, machetes, bats, broomsticks, pipes – these are your defenses against the horde of infected monsters. It's survival horror with a melee action twist, and it's disgusting.

Publisher Deep Silver and developer Techland recently showed me an early build of Dead Island, and the zombies were horrifying in their varying states of decay. With each blow, their already sloughing flesh fell away in sprays of blood, revealing layers of muscle underneath. The publisher describes Dead Island as dark, twisted and gritty, and the tiny sliver I've seen seems to support those claims. This is not the campy world of Dead Rising.

Dead Island's developers call it a "first-person zombie-slasher/action-RPG." That's a mouthful, and it's still unclear what the balance will be among those descriptors. Players will be able to choose from a cast of pre-set characters, including a former rapper named Sam B (the only character revealed so far).

If you have any doubt about how serious the Techland developers are about the setting and storyline they've created, watch the chilling Dead Island trailer. We watch a lot of video game trailers at IGN, but few cause crowds of editors to gather and watch in silence. This was one of the exceptions.

The player is cast as a guest vacationing at the posh hotel. When the zombie outbreak occurs, he and a handful of other guests remain uninfected. They set out on a mission to escape the island, but along the way, they'll uncover the secret behind the mysterious outbreak. Although Dead Island is a story-based experience, it's built for co-operative play, and Deep Silver says up to four gamers can drop in and out of the game seamlessly. But if you don't want to play with friends, you can also play through the game alone.

Although the player starts out as a simple tourist with minimal zombie-killing skills, his traits will improve along the way, thanks to a mini role-playing system built into the game. Although Deep Silver isn't spilling all the details yet, we know there will be a leveling system and a skill tree. As the player progresses, his stats will increase and he'll gain access to new combat abilities and animations.

If Dead Island sounds familiar to you, then you have a good memory. It was originally announced in 2007, but no publisher was officially attached. Techland worked on other projects in the years since, but Dead Island was slowly shuffling along in the background. Now, Deep Silver is on board, and the game seems likely to see the light of day. It's scheduled for a 2011 release on Xbox 360, PC and PS3, but no specific dates have been revealed yet.

Dead Island's concept is striking. Place players on a tropical island; surround them with zombies of varying shapes, sizes, speeds and abilities; place only found objects at their disposal; degrade their weapons over time; and set the whole adventure against a backdrop of mystery and drama. But will a first-person melee combat action game with RPG elements really work?

I've seen so little of Dead Island that it's impossible to make that call yet. The idea of an all-melee zombie game is great on paper, but when the baseball bat hits the bone, will it be exciting enough to sustain an entire game experience?

Will the constant hand-to-hand combat wear thin, or will the collectibles, storylines, environments and tense moments make up the difference?

I'm hoping to see a lot more from Dead Island in the months to come. I've been following its development for years now, and it should be fascinating to see how it turns out. Regardless, it's great to see a developer taking the zombie genre in an entirely new direction. Here's hoping the folks at Techland and Deep Silver are as good at making games as they are at making trailers.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Makwa Ironwill
    FFXIV Server
    Brynhildr
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Just saw the trailer. Looks interesting.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Left for Dead with a sprinkle of rpg mixed in. Could be exciting, probably not though.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by CasualPlayer View Post
    Left for Dead with a sprinkle of rpg mixed in. Could be exciting, probably not though.
    Isnt doing anything left 4 dead did except have zombies so, no...

Game looks interesting, normally dont care for zombie games, so we'll see.

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

Not really into zombies but that was one of the most well done trailers I've ever seen for a video game. Must play.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
    Isnt doing anything left 4 dead did except have zombies so, no...

Game looks interesting, normally dont care for zombie games, so we'll see.
    and 4 player co-op, but it's really nothing like it

Ridill
    BG Level

Why is that article make it sound like everything the game is doing is new and original? It sounds exactly like Dead Rising

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

only Dead Rising was very much a humorous take bordering on parody, and this is focused on actually being a zombie horror game. Also DR had guns.

Ridill
    BG Level

This game has em too
    There are precious few firearms scattered around the island (and even less ammo)

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Trailer is phenomenal; lets hope the game is of the same quality of whoever put that together.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Still, DI to DR is looking like Skate to Tony Hawk, if that makes sense.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

It really is a new take on zombie games if they carry through with what this press release promises.

Doesnt sound like Dead Rising to me, which I thought was pretty awful.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

This game has been in development hell since the 360 came out. About time.

Cool movie

Really loved the trailer, as a standalone thing it was amazing. I dunno how the game is going to be, but I doubt it'll live up to the mood of the trailer.

Really loved the trailer, as a standalone thing it was amazing. I dunno how the game is going to be, but I doubt it'll live up to the mood of the trailer.

It's sooo veiny
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arch Dizzle
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Never heard of the game til a friend sent me the link yesterday, trailer was fantastic, was actually mad when it ended that I couldn't continue watching it. I'm in the "Hope the game lives up to the trailer and press release promises" category, while the trailer was emotional and did it's job by getting me interested in a game I previously wasn't I'm not sure if the game will deliver on that level, but I sure hope so. Got more of a L4D meets Heavy Rain vibe from it then DR personally.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Trailer actually pulled some emotion out of me. Wonder if the game will actually evoke anything similar to what the trailer did.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Found myself doing the same thing as when watching actual zombie shows/movies, being like 'NO DON'T LET HER IN SHE'S BEEN BIT, WHAT ARE YOU DOING' at the screen. I can't tell if the realism aspect sounds great or incredibly frustrating. I'm not sure if I like the idea of 'RPG' aspects, I would prefer the game literally be you bashing shit til your pipe or whatever breaks then scrambling to find something new before you get eaten.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Trailer is awesome, and if people are curious here's a link to the linear version of it. Obviously real one is better, just kinda cool to see.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast