Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

BG Anti Depression: Stuck at home. Wat Do?

I'd rather not make this a hugely long post if I don't have to, so I'll try and keep it short.

Long story short, was laid off at the end of December. What and how we were laid off is probably illegal. There is a lawsuit in the courts now to get our jobs back. Strong possibility we will. I get the max unemployment per week. Fortunately I live home (lol 29 years old living home, but I really don't care.) If I was on my own now I'd either be homeless or move back home. Unemployment is just not enough. Anyway, that's not what I'm getting at.

I am legitimately looking for work. Since being laid off a little over a month ago, I've easily applied to over 50 jobs with not hearing a single thing back. No idea when our court case will get settled, as there are delays everywhere. I'm sure as hell not going to take a minimum wage job or anything in that area just to be working. It doesn't make sense financially.

What I'm getting at is I'm incredibly bored sitting home. I rarely go out. I don't want to spend the money on gas or other unimportant stuff I have. The internet and media only provides so much entertainment per day. I just can't sit on my ass all day an watch TV or the computer/playing games. It just gets old. How people deal with this for over 2 years or whatever, I have no idea. Occasionally I'll go out with friends, but I always try not to spend money. We have a good time, but that's once a week if that, for a few hours.

There are also only so many jobs you can apply for in a day, and that's an hour or two, tops. I'll usually take 2 days a week and apply to all the jobs I can. There are only a finite amount though. A friend of mine thinks it's like a paid vacation, but the truth is I'm getting very tired of it. I'd gladly go back tomorrow if the pay was somewhat comparable. I'm willing to go down to 75% of what I was making, but nothing on those either. I honestly don't want to get 4 minimum wage p/t jobs. I know some people do that, but I just don't see that unless I absolutely have to.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm depressed, but probably close to it. I was going to the gym 4-5 times a week, but I wasn't nearly putting in the effort like I was when working. Now I rarely go at all. Not motivated at all. So BG people, if any of you have been in a similar position (I'm sure there are a few of you) what did you do? I don't want this to seem like I'm moping about or being lazy. Just wondering what some of you might have done in the same situation. Believe me, if they said come back tomorrow, I would be running out the door to get there.

Change this later.
    BG Level

Don't slack off at the gym. When I spent six months on unemployment, I put on almost 20 pounds. I made a chainmail shirt, though. I recommend that you find some sort of creative activity that doesn't cost much.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

With the remaining hours of your day do stuff outside your house, here is a non-exhaustive list of ideas
    A) Adult ed classes at your local community college/hs
    B) Volunteering at a hospital/school/museum w/e
    C) taking college level classes at a community college over the summer if it gets that far
    D) Go to the YMCA, cheap local gym, or in a few weeks to the park and bike/run/work out/swim
    E) Go to the library, check out books you're interested in and go read them at the library or check them out and take them to a coffee shop. For a nominal fee (1-2 coffees you can hang out for hours at a time reading and potentially meeting new people.
    F) Go see the B crew working the strip club during the day after you apply for a job/hang out at pool halls/bars during the day and talk to the bartender.
    G) go to a pawn shop/local music store, buy/rent a used instrument you've been interested in and learn to play
    H) Go to teh senior center or w/e nearest to you and spend time playing Chess with old people.

Seriously the whole fucking world is out there, the possibilities are fairly unlimited, get off your ass and do something.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I was in this position myself last year. And yes it is a form of temporary depression. As much as you don't want to spend the money be sure to go out every so often. Even if it is just once a week it will make a difference. I had it worse because I was single / never had a girlfriend / had been rejected like 3 times in two months so I was really down about that too. I wasn't making all that great of money but it was enough to be able to afford taking 50-60 bucks a week to go out on a Friday or Saturday to keep my mind off of how lonely / depressed I was. Hell, even spark up a convo with your parents if you think that will help because they're probably going to be the best support you can have in this.

Good luck man. I really do feel ya on this.

You live in New York. Go skiing you fool! Winter will depress anyone who doesn't know how to have fun in it.

If you're not into winter sports, I suggest doing doughnuts in a parking lot when it snows and you have to go somewhere. Always puts a smile on my face.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Get involved with any kind of community activism that you might be interested in - whether it be volunteerism or political action or organizing a support/networking group with other unemployed folks. Not only does this kind of stuff keep you active, it feels good when you know you're doing something worthwhile for yourself and your community. Plus you never know when job opportunities might spring up where you haven't been looking.

Also, TEMP AGENCIES WORK. They also usually pay very well. It may take a while to find something full-time, permanent or both, so stick with it. Plus you can network, gain references at the places you've temped, learn new skills and keep old ones sharp.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by ZarakiKujata View Post
    With the remaining hours of your day do stuff outside your house, here is a non-exhaustive list of ideas
    A) Adult ed classes at your local community college/hs
    B) Volunteering at a hospital/school/museum w/e
    C) taking college level classes at a community college over the summer if it gets that far
    D) Go to the YMCA, cheap local gym, or in a few weeks to the park and bike/run/work out/swim
    E) Go to the library, check out books you're interested in and go read them at the library or check them out and take them to a coffee shop. For a nominal fee (1-2 coffees you can hang out for hours at a time reading and potentially meeting new people.
    F) Go see the B crew working the strip club during the day after you apply for a job/hang out at pool halls/bars during the day and talk to the bartender.
    G) go to a pawn shop/local music store, buy/rent a used instrument you've been interested in and learn to play
    H) Go to teh senior center or w/e nearest to you and spend time playing Chess with old people.

Seriously the whole fucking world is out there, the possibilities are fairly unlimited, get off your ass and do something.
    Some good advice on the list right there. I know adult classes can be kinda expensive but they offer so much for you. Not only do you get to keep your brain active learning something you've probably always wanted to learn, but it's a great way to meet more people and be social. Really is a good feeling if you're into learning new things.

As to the instrument, since you are in a rut I would recommend if you do it, find a teacher instead of learning yourself, otherwise it seems like from what you said you'll get unmotivated fast, whereas getting a weekly assignment could help you stay on track and keep pushing.

Ifrit's lolCudgel
    QQing is what I do best

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Volunteer with a cause you are passionate about. It will give you something to do and be very fulfilling.

Also go to some free savings/money management class. If you're 29, still living at home and wouldn't have had savings to live off of in case you were laid off, you need to learn money management.

If you stopped to actually learn something you might not post these uninformed posts.
    BG Level

Learn to code and then write your own games in DirectX. You can sell games/app for iphone and xbox on online shops.

Why aren't you going to school full time? I mean undergraduate you can keep yourself busy and get some cash back. Graduate studies you can keep yourself busy and get more cash back for living expenses.

In both cases you're improving your chances of getting a job...I don't really see the question? Unless you already have a graduate level education in which case i'd have to question what you're putting on your resume. If you are getting absolutely no calls back then it is the likely culprit. You may just not have one that grabs anyones attention.

Join an Ultimate Frisbee league. Start Rock Climbing.

Those are things I do to make myself happy even though I'm a loser.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya View Post
    Why aren't you going to school full time? I mean undergraduate you can keep yourself busy and get some cash back. Graduate studies you can keep yourself busy and get more cash back for living expenses.

In both cases you're improving your chances of getting a job...I don't really see the question? Unless you already have a graduate level education in which case i'd have to question what you're putting on your resume. If you are getting absolutely no calls back then it is the likely culprit. You may just not have one that grabs anyones attention.
    Didn't you see his whole thread ~monthish back about how he hasn't gone to college but doesn't want to cause he has a cushy government job or some shit? (May be confusing losers coming to /bg/eneral for advice but yeah)

Didn't you see his whole thread ~monthish back about how he hasn't gone to college but doesn't want to cause he has a cushy government job or some shit? (May be confusing losers coming to /bg/eneral for advice but yeah)
    Um...educate me with where in his first post he say's anything about that? Did you read the OP? There's not a single post in this thread from the OP til now that say's anything like that? Unless There are posts missing between 1-12.

If this same person made the same thread a month ago and said that then no....no I didn't read that.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

fap

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

This is about right. I have actually thought of taking night courses many times. I always procrastinate things though. One decision I did come to on my own shortly before getting laid off was If we did in fact get laid off I would go back to school the next reasonable semester possible. From what I looked into at the time shortly after Jan. the classes I wanted were full. If I still am unemployed by the fall semester, I intend to go back full time, and then continue after, whether it be part time or not.

To be honest, I'm not really the volunteering type, but I have have nothing against it. I'm sure there are places all over near where I live. I'll look into that. @ Kyod, Yeah I just recently am getting myself out of debt. Actually after I get my taxes back I intend to pay back the last few thousand I owe. Is was a grueling process, but I learned my lesson out of it. Like many other people, I got too attached to credit cards. I've been trying to dig myself out for a long time, and can finally say I'll be paid off soon.

The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

ITT: A guy who is unemployed, and thinks he's too good to work a minimum-wage job.

Doesn't make sense financially? Unemployment pays better than a minimum wage job? Unemployment carries health insurance and retirement options?

That's cool, I guess. I'd rather people like you not have jobs, because you don't really want to work. That much is evident.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya View Post
    Um...educate me with where in his first post he say's anything about that? Did you read the OP? There's not a single post in this thread from the OP til now that say's anything like that? Unless There are posts missing between 1-12.

If this same person made the same thread a month ago and said that then no....no I didn't read that.
    Well OP has confirmed it, but this was the thread i was talking about.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/101...tting-laid-off)

Well whether you like it or not, when applying to a university volunteering looks good and can be what it takes to get you into a higher quality school that will be more than just a diploma mill. And I mean again the point is to get you not depressed and volunteering in a hospital where speaking from experience the people are more depressed/miserable than you are, you will only get things in perspective and have the added benefit of knowing you made someones life a little brighter.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Melchiah View Post
    ITT: A guy who is unemployed, and thinks he's too good to work a minimum-wage job.

Doesn't make sense financially? Unemployment pays better than a minimum wage job? Unemployment carries health insurance and retirement options?

That's cool, I guess. I'd rather people like you not have jobs, because you don't really want to work. That much is evident.
    This post made me think so much of the Always Sunny in Philadelphia episode "Dennis and Dee go on Welfare"... to smoke crack.

I can't be the only one right?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Phede Mihnao
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Isn't there something like being "overqualified" for the position? They do realize that you're only looking at the minimum wage job for a hang between jobs, so they'll hire someone slightly less qualified but more permanent instead.

Tagus

Just gotta stay busy. A friend of mine in a similar situation has picked up falconry (which is a little redic if you ask me)... it's free since in the U.S. you have to actually capture your first falcon yourself, because I believe it's illegal to sell them. Myself, I'd just start jogging to the point of exhaustion. I went through a bad streak a few years back and got into archery for awhile, then paintball, and eventually jogging. I was up to 6 miles a day before things got better, and when they finally did get better, I was in the best shape of my life.