+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

The Final Fantasy XI Team Answers Your Questions! (02/25/2011)

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics...67/detail.html
    The FINAL FANTASY XI community is ever abuzz with discussion on in-game content. Today, the development and operations teams return to address some of our fans' most pressing questions and concerns in FAQ format.

Q: "???" targets currently serve the dual function of triggering events as well as popping NMs. As a way to help adventurers distinguish between these two uses, would it be possible to change all monster pop locations to "!!!" or some such?

A: While we believe that introducing the "!!!" target as suggested would greatly improve ease of adventuring, obstacles have been identified that render its implementation unfeasible. Not only is there a staggering amount of applicable "???" targets that would require adjustment, the existence of numerous situational "???" locations makes straightforward conversion nigh impossible. We sincerely apologize for being unable to fulfill this request.

Q: My good friend and comrade Skyserpent General Rughadjeen has been behaving rather strangely during Besieged battles, and I can't help but feel concerned. To describe a symptom, using either Protect V or Shell V on the man causes him to go on an enhancing magic casting binge. Are the stresses of prolonged conflict taking their toll on poor Rughadjeen?

A: We truly appreciate your show of concern for a brother-in-arms. Following examination, it has been determined that the Skyserpent General's unusual behavior is due to his unfamiliarity with Protect V and Shell V—spells that did not exist when Besieged was first introduced. For a blessing, his actions do not pose an immediate threat to his own well-being or to those of others, and we intend to have a heart-to-heart with him as soon as other urgent matters have been addressed.

Q: I'm usually all about missions and storylines, but I must confess to being a teensy bit curious about what kind of job adjustments are coming up. Is there anything you can tell me?

A: First of all, it gives us great joy to hear that there are still folk out there who appreciate visceral combat. To answer the question, a wide range of job adjustments and balance tweaks are in the pipes, a number of which will find their way into the upcoming major version update. All the juicy details will be revealed via Topics before long, so stay tuned!

Q: Exchanging Aht Urhgan currency is about as enjoyable as having gravel down my subligar. Can't the process be streamlined?

A: In the upcoming version update, the NPCs Ugrihd (Aht Urhgan Whitegate) and Awaheen (Nashmau) will expand their services to include large-volume currency exchange. In each transaction, adventurers will be able to specify the Imperial coin of their choice as well as the quantity desired.

Q: While I think the "/names" text command used to toggle character name display is da bomb, I reckon it'd be even more useful if I could choose to apply it to either PCs or NPCs only.

A: While this adjustment is technically possible, its implementation is projected to consume a considerable amount of man-hours. Given the numerous other high priority adjustments currently on our plate, we are unable to provide you with a time frame at this point in time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Q: Is there a way to adjust the volume of the title screen BGM? It always seems to be either too loud or too soft, and never just right.

A: While both in-game and PlayOnline Viewer music volume can be adjusted in their respective configuration screens, there regrettably is no way to adjust volume for the title screen. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Q: As a regular visitor to the official site, I think it'd be more logical to switch the order of the Topics and Information sections and have urgent news appear at the very top.

A: In light of the official forum's imminent launch and its intended function, layout changes are being considered for the official site. We expect to be able to reveal detailed information regarding this in the very near future, and ask for your patience in the meantime.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

At least they are giving more reasonable excuse now.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

not the greatest questions/answers they choose to give for these things, but hey, i appreciate they're trying at least to communicate with the community after all these years.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Personally think these Q&A topics suck on SEs part. All they are is a long, drawn-out post about something they have already talked about on their twitter acct. And the posts on the twitter are long enough that they don't need additional explanation.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Damn double post

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Snprphnx View Post
    Personally think these Q&A topics suck on SEs part. All they are is a long, drawn-out post about something they have already talked about on their twitter acct. And the posts on the twitter are long enough that they don't need additional explanation.
    Not everyone follows twitter, and it helps to have the weeks worth of answered stuff in one spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    At least they are giving more reasonable excuse now.
    That's what came to my mind first. They're obviously a small team, but at least they got the balls now to say if something isn't worth the man hours in the current state.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Anyone have a twitter account they can talk to SE? 20 combat merits just isn't enough...

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    Anyone have a twitter account they can talk to SE? 20 combat merits just isn't enough...
    It takes like 30 seconds to make one...

aduidarnenye

I was disappointed with the questions as well, especially since they've been on Twitter for the last couple of days. However, that being said, I am very glad they're answering any questions at all and on a fairly regular basis. So there will probably be more questions/answers in a week or so anyway.

I might have to get a Twitter account too. I've been working hard to avoid it but I think it will happen. I've not even got a cell phone so I don't see the point.

I really like Neko.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

2nd hating on these, especially when they try to do shit like "My good friend and comrade Skyserpent General Rughadjeen has been behaving rather strangely during Besieged battles, and I can't help but feel concerned. To describe a symptom, using either Protect V or Shell V on the man causes him to go on an enhancing magic casting binge. Are the stresses of prolonged conflict taking their toll on poor Rughadjeen?" No one fucking talks like that, that is not how people talk, and that is most fucking definitely not the original question. Although, I suppose it could be, since the original question was probably JP and they can fit a ton more stuff into a tiny twitter post.

Shouldn't we be getting news posts for the update that's supposed to be coming soon?

I find the way they worded some of it quite amusing - although my mind is worried about the mental state of someone who'd ever pair the ideas of gravel and subligar. At least there's some form of fairly regular dialogue going on between the dev team and playerbase now - there wasn't for a heck of a long time. This stuff's only ever going to be tiny incremental changes - but we went through years of no dialogue at all about those at all, now we're getting them every few weeks compiled into one on the main page, and every couple of days on Twitter... it's quite a change for SE really.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'd take the colourful paraphrasing of the questions over sterile "Will so&so be fixed/implemented?" that we used to have in the past before the hostile take-over of the old development team.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    I'd take the colourful paraphrasing of the questions over sterile "Will so&so be fixed/implemented?" that we used to have in the past before the hostile take-over of the old development team.
    This.

I actually don't mind the "role-play-esque" nature of the questions and answers at all, given that I'm just glad to see the devs actually communicating useful information, instead of the canned-reponse crap they used to dish out.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by aduidarnenye View Post

OH GOD NO

Fucking hated this shit when browsing xivcore

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

This Q&A should be titled "Sorry we can't do that"

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

They really should have just listed most of these questions and then written "NO" at the end in big letters.

Then they could be like, "Oh yeah, we realized it was a pain in the ass to go to Nashmau every time you wanted more than 5 bronze pieces, so we finally added a dialogue for that. Only 4 years late, where my love?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I see these colorful responses as a cheapened version of mini-update notes that we normally get pre-update. They plan on implementing something, so they plant their own questions and then give answers. TADA! Update preview without all of effort and organization.

Pretty convenient that questions always match the update content (or have "no" for an answer.)

New Odin
    BG Level

Pretty convenient that questions always match the update content (or have "no" for an answer.)
    What's the 3rd option?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

questions were bleh. Only so much that can be done with that. But it does seem that a great deal of attention is being given to the little acts of tedium that drive us nuts in game (getting traverser stones one by one, the fixing of the aht urghan currency, etc.) which while it may seem small, does greatly improve playability.

Also I'd say the entire release was win for the "gravel in my subligar" comment. Just a few steps away from SE saying "quit bitching like you have sand in your vagina."

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

At least the answers isn't now "this is just another one of the great mysteries of Vanadiel"