+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Shak-ka-kahn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    RiftBlade is fucking broken in my bracket in pvp, I've been consistantly doing twice the damage and kills of the one after me in the rankings, its completely insane when you have good gear, yet I'm curious on how to boost their damage. I've tried spellpower+intelligence and quickly came to the conclusion that warriors weren't using those stats, since there was a reduction in damage. Now I've been trying one handers with roughly the same dps as some 2 handers, yet lower base damage, and they were doing the same damage in everything that doesn't have weapon base dmg as a modifier. So I'm thinking it's just based off the base weapon dmg + some random stat I haven't tested yet, but does anybody have a better answer than this?
    Honestly I've been wondering the same.....I was always under the impression that attack power was the deciding factor (tool tip says 150-170 and I do 300 even, with flamespear), but I tested different weapons, different gear AND that red circle buff in warfronts.....nothing changed. So....I'm assuming we need an update, otherwise at high end 50 pvp we're going to be left behind....on a awesome note, this means for now we can wear tank gear + shield with no downside lol

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shnaklaha View Post
    Honestly I've been wondering the same.....I was always under the impression that attack power was the deciding factor (tool tip says 150-170 and I do 300 even, with flamespear), but I tested different weapons, different gear AND that red circle buff in warfronts.....nothing changed. So....I'm assuming we need an update, otherwise at high end 50 pvp we're going to be left behind....on a awesome note, this means for now we can wear tank gear + shield with no downside lol
    In PvE 2handers are still the best for riftblades though, as you can combine it with champion for AoE killing. I feel RiftBlade is overpowered since it has all of the advantages of a melee character without having to get in range, as well as an instant root removal. Honestly, I've been pvping a lot on my cleric and never came close to the numbers I do now on my riftblade, and I'm 31, so on the low end of the bracket and still coming out on top of damage and kills. Worst case we can just make another pvp combo that will scale better at 50.

Edit : Been doing a little testing tonight, simply switching between my tanking planar focus, my dps one, and my low level one that I've changed with casting enhancements, and I've noticed an actual damage difference in my spears. The damage is based on either STR,DEX or Attack power (which is my #1 guess). It would actually make sense that only attack power boosts the damage of these skills, since they aren't melee (hence the uselesness of STR and DEX), yet they behave like spells in the description with the high base damage and no influence by the damage of the weapon. And even then, I was only noticing a 1:1 ratio with damage:attack power, so it definitely doesn't have a huge impact on it. Spellpower is completely useless on it too, so don't try stacking mage stats.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

So how bad are pvp servers? My friends alrdy started a guild on one... but if I am hearing horror stories I may try to convince em to reroll pve. I mean I know there is ganking and all that fun stuff, but how hardcore is it if your questing and stuff w/ 1-2 friends always? I don't feel like getting pummeled left and right trying to quest by ppl roaming just to kill lowbie questers

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

i always roll on pvp, its so much better. honestly ive been ganked like 5 times on my way up? only camped like once or twice, its not really a problem. especially since you can talk most people know that they trying to get it done too.

Beholder of Methane
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

How do you do instances in this game? Im so confused D:

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Flattus View Post
    How do you do instances in this game? Im so confused D:
    You find the instance, shout or get guildies, and run there. Once one person enters everyone else gets a msg to enter also

Beholder of Methane
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Ahh, got'cha.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Garona

Quote Originally Posted by izembo View Post
    i always roll on pvp, its so much better. honestly ive been ganked like 5 times on my way up? only camped like once or twice, its not really a problem. especially since you can talk most people know that they trying to get it done too.
    To add to this and what Katlan asked. I'm on the same server as Katlan and for an hour last night, in Gloamwood, 2-3 level 50's consistently killed everybody that spawned or came through the portal. Now, while ganking and such maybe be humorous to some, to me, I don't get it. I think that if the level gap between attacker and attackee is too great, you shouldn't be able to attack them. In Warhammer they had a system to combat this that the higher level player would turn into a chicken if they attacked a lowbie. In any event, after about an hour a couple higher levels showed up to fend off these assailants and things were ok. I don't mind being on a pvp server but I also don't pay money to play a game where other players can completely dictate my time in-game just because they want to.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

Quote Originally Posted by Meko View Post
    I don't mind being on a pvp server but I also don't pay money to play a game where other players can completely dictate my time in-game just because they want to.
    Not trying to be a jerk, but that is basically the definition of a PVP server. :/ If you want to play how you want, when you want, that's what PVE servers were made for.

I've heard a lot of people already say ganking can be pretty bad on PVP servers, but I don't get why people are surprised by that. PVP servers are always populated by gankers and people who think they'll have more fun by putting up with gankers.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

For real. Where there's PvP there's gonna be ganking/griefing. It's just the nature of the beast.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Not to mention that the devs specifically warned that if you do roll on a PVP server, you should be fully aware and accept that this sort of thing will be common.

I personally love PVP and open world PVP. Unfortunately i saw what it was going to turn into early in beta and decided not to roll on a PVP server. Camping portals and quest hubs is not what PVP means to me. If there were clear objectives such as castle sieges and a 3rd faction, then i would roll on one in a second. In the long run, i just don't think open world pvp with only 2 factions will ever work.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Garona

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    Not to mention that the devs specifically warned that if you do roll on a PVP server, you should be fully aware and accept that this sort of thing will be common.

I personally love PVP and open world PVP. Unfortunately i saw what it was going to turn into early in beta and decided not to roll on a PVP server. Camping portals and quest hubs is not what PVP means to me. If there were clear objectives such as castle sieges and a 3rd faction, then i would roll on one in a second. In the long run, i just don't think open world pvp with only 2 factions will ever work.
    That's my take on it too. It's a mistake on my part for rolling a character on a pvp server but I just thought there would be guards and such for safe spots in the game like in towns but there aren't outside of Sanctum (based on what I've seen so far).

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Garona

Random Question: I played a RDM full time in FFXI. Based on those of you who have leveled a lot in this game so far, what class or class combo makes something similar to a RDM? I would assume one of the clerics but I haven't seen the right combo - granted I've never leveled one past 6 or 7. I'm looking for a balanced class that has some buffs, can heal and do some dps.

EDIT: I'm asking as I'm going to be re-rolling on a pve server.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

You have to pretty much swap roles for what you want to do on cleric unless you want to be average on everything.

-Warden's are the best healers.

-Inquisitors have great AOE damage.

-Shaman have great single target damage.

What's sad is cleric dps is better than rogue dps at 50. You seriously could beat everything in this game with nothing but clerics.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

-Warden's are the best healers.

-Inquisitors have great AOE damage.

-Shaman have great single target damage.
    I'm not sure I agree with those...

From the expert dungeons I've done, I'd be absolutely terrified relying on Warden's HoTs, but I haven't tried. I've been using Sentinel.

Isn't Cabalist higher aoe damage than Inquisitor? Cabalist seems to be made for aoe.

Shaman damage is pretty bad at 50. I parsed mine on test dummies and compared it to Druid, and Druid was substantially higher. I threw away my Shaman build immediately when I saw the results of that test. Not to mention, Druid has more group buffs that will help everyone's damage too.

Certified Enhancement Shaman
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meph Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos

Seriously....how do you get rid of Ripping Wound. Im fucking dying to lowbiemobs all the time cause I just instantly drain out. fucktards in my guild are just trolling me when I ask

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    For real. Where there's PvP there's gonna be ganking/griefing. It's just the nature of the beast.
    This is true for sure, however, I was really hoping a game developer would finally understand that griefing is not fun for the 98% of the population that are the victims. Warhammer tried to do something about it, but the system was clunky. The PvP level system could have been put to good use for this purpose and instituting Dishonorable Kill penalties to your rank if you were level 50 and riding through the level 10-30 zones killing everyone just because you were bored.

World PvP is something that is entertaining and fun, but only when its actually PvP and not GankvP. Aion had another "solution" when it came to rift level caps. This was widely felt to be unsuccessful because of the rogues and rangers that were able to stealth and gank everyone repeatedly.

All that being said, are PvP servers becoming Gank servers already? Are the level 50 players routinely so bored that they are riding to Freemarch or Silverwood and destroying towns and camping people? If so, it would be a good thing to know before I jump in head first. If its random ganking its one thing. Even Aion's rifting rogues were never a really big deal to me. It is the level 50s wholesale taking over strategic lower level points with no real recourse that I have an issue with.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Pyree View Post

From the expert dungeons I've done, I'd be absolutely terrified relying on Warden's HoTs, but I haven't tried. I've been using Sentinel.
    It's a bigger pain in the ass for sure having to constantly refresh hot's but couple that with a good bard and you're golden. I dunno, i play bard 99% of the time and i notice tanks hp is always kept higher with a warden and doesn't require huge heals that sentinel is made for. Plus they never run out of mana.

Also according to our clerics, full spec Shaman with out dps Druid. We parsed our recent Greenscale run on trash and Duke and our 2 shaman lead the charts, which was very disheartening to all the rogues.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Best tanking spec post-40? Currently running 36ish Paladin/14ish Warlord/0 i don't remember, and it's doing absolutely great in dungeons, but what's the most accepted tanking build endgame?

Edit : And are warriors still the best or do the clerics kick our ass at it too?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

Also according to our clerics, full spec Shaman with out dps Druid. We parsed our recent Greenscale run on trash and Duke and our 2 shaman lead the charts, which was very disheartening to all the rogues.
    Well, I parsed them shortly after hitting 50, and my results roughly (going by memory) for single-target dps on the parctice dummies were:

Shaman Spec 390 dps
    Druid Spec (using Satyr) 490 dps

When I made that druid spec, I wasn't sure how useful the pets actually were so I was hesitant to spend points on them. Just last night I made a 51 point Druid with the pet talents to test out, but didn't have the time to run all the tests I wanted. The test I did was:

Druid Spec v2 (Using Faerie) 550 dps

From the parsing tests I've done with a couple different builds, I don't see how it would be possible for a shaman to out-dps a druid. And I've talked to several other clerics that have also claimed that shaman is underwhelming compared to druid, but maybe we're playing it wrong somehow. Also in the experts I've been able to do as druid, granted only a few, I've always been the highest dps in the group, and by about 1.5x the person in second place. I haven't done Greenscale's Blight at all yet.

I'm still working on maximizing my damage though, I've been testing a lot of different things on the test dummies with my parser running!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast