Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Final Fantasy 6 Hack     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Honestly, the only thing that made air anchor suck was that it wasn't INSTANT death, you had to wait til its next turn for it to die and there's usually plenty of ways to kill anything weak to it in a single turn (and every thing it works on, it works 100%, actually)

That aside, they were removed for their 'death' properties... when the person said they don't do anything for the challenge, I'm pretty sure he meant they lower the difficulty in a way that breaks the spirit of his challenge game since he was unable to tweak them to remove these properties.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I've never heard of the Gau exploit VI. What do you do exactly, as I always hated his character and never used him?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rysan Wulfric
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    I've never heard of the Gau exploit VI. What do you do exactly, as I always hated his character and never used him?
    There are tons of things you can do with him. If you know what rages to use in the right situation, he can break the game. He can give you access to certain spells that you normally can't get until way much later in the game. You can get access to things like Fire 2, Lightning 3, Life 3, Bio, Stop, Blaze, El Nino, Fireball, etc almost instantly when getting him, if you just know what monsters to rage. End game, he is pretty much unkillable with a snow muffler in the back row. There is a good FAQ on Gamefaqs that goes into rage mechanics and describes what rage does what.

You can also exploit a glitch with him (Gogo as well) using a merit award, offering, and a Tempest katana while Raging Stray Cat. Cat Scratch from the stray cat rage does 4x damage, and if it procs a wind slash from the Tempest katana, then the 4x damage is applied to the wind slash damage as well. This only works on the SNES cart/rom, since they fixed it in the advanced and playstation versions to where Gau and Gogo cannot equip the merit award anymore.

Dr. Salami
    HERO OF TIME

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Selamis Bloodwood
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

You know after all these years, and having played both the SNES version to death as well as multiple runs in the PS1 release, I still never figured out if Gau learns his rages on the mob you have him leap on, when he comes back, or if it's all the mobs you encounter while he's away.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

All

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Wait you leave Gau on the Veldt in WoR, clear every dungeon in the game up to kefka's tower, then go get Gau back and he'll have every monster you met? Or is it only the monsters you encounter while on the Veldt while waiting for Gau to return?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Wait you leave Gau on the Veldt in WoR, clear every dungeon in the game up to kefka's tower, then go get Gau back and he'll have every monster you met? Or is it only the monsters you encounter while on the Veldt while waiting for Gau to return?
    Only on the Veldt, sadly.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

K that's better aligned with what I thought. I never did have much use for Gau/Umaro outside of filling out groups to not die in Kefka's tower. I think mostly I had Gau heal people, could never be assed to grind it out on the Veldt.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I always thought he only learned the monsters present when he leaps, and when he returns, but not the ones in between. I could have sworn I remember him missing out on some good ones while waiting for him to come back.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin View Post
    I always thought he only learned the monsters present when he leaps, and when he returns, but not the ones in between. I could have sworn I remember him missing out on some good ones while waiting for him to come back.
    Nope, he most definitely learns the ones that you encounter while he's away... I'm almost certain that the game even tells you this when you first get him.

I've never heard of Gau being broken till now and I doubt anyone that played this game when it first came out knew about it either or even used him after the Sabin scenario. The most broken thing I remember when I played the game was vanish to x-zone. . .

To give you an idea of how disgustingly broken Gau is... Doom Dragon has N. Cross which has a 50% chance of freezing every single enemy in the game (nothing is immune to freeze), while Nightshade's Charm permanently confuses an enemy as long as Gau is alive (nothing is immune to Charm, which is essentially an incurable confusion status).

Those are late-game rages though, but even early in the game he can do crazy stuff like tossing Giga Volts that OHKO 90% of WoB...

More info here.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Yeyoking View Post
    I've never heard of Gau being broken till now and I doubt anyone that played this game when it first came out knew about it either or even used him after the Sabin scenario. The most broken thing I remember when I played the game was vanish to x-zone. . .
    It's because most people who played FFVI back in the day, as kids on their SNES, didn't have the online FAQs we take for granted today and the printed game guide probably didn't give you good Gau strategies. Also, Gau requires the most thought, most preparation, and is tied for the second most button pressing (after Sabin) to use effectively in random battles. Some people just didn't like characters you couldn't mash A on every battle. Nobody really knew what he was capable of, and nobody really wanted to bother selecting a different rage every battle (let alone memorize, think about and decide on the best one each time). Most people just picked their favorite all-purpose rage to fit most situations and stuck with it.

That, and he had poor character development and was hard to love. And was ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin View Post
    snip
    That and the fact that none of description of the rages were really detailed on what they could do. Most of those stuff were probably found after looking into the games data.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroikage View Post
    Nope, he most definitely learns the ones that you encounter while he's away... I'm almost certain that the game even tells you this when you first get him.
    My experience as well as countless other sources on the web disagree, Gau only learns the rages of what he leaps on and the mobs in the fight he returns on. I'm the same as Kham, I've had Gau miss important rages on more than one occasion because he didn't return on the fight.

I could source at least 10 different FAQs and information sites to back this up, just google it.

Always Cabrón!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lor'enzo Sasha
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post
    Yeah, this one takes the cake:
    * All Tools have been tweaked, 2 were removed because they did nothing for the game and couldn’t be edited (Chainsaw and AirAnchor).
    Come again?
    I dunno... I was a fan of Chainsaw... you either one-shotted enemies (with a Jason Voorhies mask on) or did somewhat decent damage doing a bit of a chainsaw dance.

Air Anchor was fun because it was either Bind or Death... some of the monster AI was smart enough to stay bound ;P

Now Flashbulb... i don't Blind proc'd enough to be worthwhile.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

If anyone is further more interested in Gau, check out the low level runs of boss fights. Almost all of them use Gau in some form or another.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yeyoking View Post
    That and the fact that none of description of the rages were really detailed on what they could do. Most of those stuff were probably found after looking into the games data.
    My other objection to using Gau seriously (back in the day) was that most of the time I'd say MAGIGAU I CHOOSE YOU USE BRACHOSAUR ATTACK GO and he'd fucking paw at the mobs for 500 damage. Random, uncontrollable characters aren't fun.