Closed Thread
Page 8 of 352 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    Are you trying to say there are no exterminators in africa?
    that place makes the movie "City of God" look like Beverly Hills. if they cant afford proper housing in an entire area like that, i highly doubt they can afford an exterminator of any sort.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Needs more than an exterminator to save that place lol.

They thrive in the townships' filthy conditions and feast on residents' uncollected rubbish +
    They are nocturnal, omnivorous and can produce up to 50 young a year

womp rats aren't much bigger than 2 meters

but wth? I'm thinking someone didn't want another mouth to feed because surely the babies screamed. Unless the rats went straight and ripped out their throats, and if that's the case I, for one, welcome our new vermin overlords

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Trelution View Post
    womp rats aren't much bigger than 2 meters
    you mean 2 feet? coz 2 meters is like bigger than 95% of the people here on BG.

edit: womp rats are extinct -_- just googled it

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Gods perfect little warriors. TTYL POOR BLACKS

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by wop View Post
    you mean 2 feet? coz 2 meters is like bigger than 95% of the people here on BG.
    whoosh

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The same African Pouched Giant Rats are used @

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnew...in-africa.html

Everyone knows that rats have a nose for garbage, but their sense of smell now serves another higher purpose -- sniffing out landmines to save lives. Bomb-sniffing dogs are a common sight in airports and other public spaces, but an organization called APOPO says that rats can do similar work, sometimes even better than a dog.

"We have 50 rats working in minefields in Mozambique at the moment," Mic Billet, the president of APOCO, said in an interview from his office in Antwerp, Belgium.

APOPO is funded primarily by the Belgian government, with a facility in Tanzania where they train some very talented rats. The rats look somewhat like the rodents found in American pet stores or labs, but they're much larger. Called African Giant Pouched rats, they grow about 2.5 feet in length including the tail, weigh over 3 pounds, and can live 8 years.

According to trainers, a rat's sense of smell works just as well as a dog's to detect mines, and the creatures' small size gives them some big advantage on the minefield. Not only are they easier to feed and transport, "their light weight makes it highly unlikely they would set off a mine by scratching or pointing," APOPO writes on its website.

It takes between six months to a year to train a rat's sense of smell, and Billet says they're easy to work with.

"They are very friendly," without being needy, he said. "When you work with a dog, you have to say, 'Good boy!' A rat doesn't need that. The rat tells you, I try to find the contamination, and if I do, you will feed me."

His rats find plenty of contamination, averaging 2 to 5 landmine discoveries a day in Mozambique. But what's more important, Billet said, is the number of acres that have been given back to the local people.

"In Mozambique, we gave 1,300,012 acres back," he said, helping nearly 45,000 people in 2009 alone.

APOPO has dubbed the rodents "Hero Rats," but the idea to use rodents for this work was laughed off at first. Billet and a colleague came up with the idea back in 1995 when they were brainstorming ways to help landmine victims. Originally, they planned to build prosthetics for victims but then decided to deal with the root of the problem by finding a better way to get rid of mines. After months of research, they came up with rats.

A professor at the University of Antwerp, Billet went to the university's biologists to ask if the idea could work.

"In the first minutes they thought, 'the old man is getting a bit nuts or Alzheimer's is coming on,'" he remembered. They were soon convinced, though, and after a two-year feasibility study, the rats showed they were more than up to the task.

APOPO started off training bomb-sniffing rats, but they're now using the rodents for other purposes. They've trained some rats to detect tuberculosis, taking them into African hospitals to test samples quickly, cheaply and more accurately. "Last year, the rats detected 905 positive TB samples, all classified as negative by the labs," Billet said.

So if rats are so good at this work, is there a chance you'll see a rat on a leash, standing guard at the airport sometime soon?

"It's absolutely possible to use the rats in airports," Billet said, "but at this moment, we don't work on this implementation."

Maybe not in airports yet, but even the most rat-phobic have to admire this clever and successful way of improving lives and preventing landmine-related deaths.
    Bolded for the lulz

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

oh man thats awesome. Hero Rats indeed

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

edit: womp rats are extinct -_- just googled it

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

How come the parents did hear the babies scream / cry? Im assuming the rat didn't eat them in one bite?!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

its a conspiracy man

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Little Lunathi was sleeping on a makeshift bed on the floor of her family's breeze block and corrugated iron home on Sunday night when she died. Her puzzled parents didn't even hear her scream.
    The rats must've gagged the baby with it's fist to prevent screaming while munching on it.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Venga View Post
    How come the parents did hear the babies scream / cry? Im assuming the rat didn't eat them in one bite?!
    And today police revealed that a baby girl died in the Soweto township when she was attacked by rats while her teenage mother was out with friends.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

You guys are so insensitive to the plights of Africa.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

africa is truly terrifying

womp rats are extinct -_- just googled it
    No way Luke blasted them all he left Tatooine to bring balance to the force!

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Now if I ever decide to visit Africa I gotta bring big ass cats with me? Fuuuuuck that shit.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Cats? Ahahahahaha

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

ok, so what the fuck africa, you have the most terrifying creatures over there, fly larve that lives in your eye, baby eating rats, fucking diseases out the ass, add to that like half the continent is at war, land mines everyfucking where, fuck man, i never, ever ever ever, want to go to there

so the 2 places i will never go now are:

Baltimore
    Africa

gg

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 352 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast