FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

"Yes, your account is all balanced. No, unfortunately, as you can see here, your account, while balanced, still falls in the 'Stupid' range, so you're still a fucking idiot. No, I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do. Have you considered not being dumb?"

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/highli...ource=vicefbus

RACE WALK WORLD RECORD HOLDER SHITS SELF, PASSES OUT, FINISHES 8TH

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Time to close the border.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Meh the South Dakota winter will kill all the mosquitoes there anyway

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    [center]Time to close the border.
    The time to close the border has come and gone. We're already fucked. Why travel wasn't restricted to South American hotspots after it was confirmed that Zika was causing severe birth defects and is so easily communicable is beyond my understanding.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    The time to close the border has come and gone. We're already fucked. Why travel wasn't restricted to South American hotspots after it was confirmed that Zika was causing severe birth defects and is so easily communicable is beyond my understanding.
    It was more of a joke to close the MN/SD border.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

We can build a wall and make the mesquitos pay for it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Wesley Crusher 4 Lyfe!
    Skywalker's Severed Hand

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Psychodwarf Ironflute
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    It was more of a joke to close the MN/SD border.
    We don't need Zika for that. There's plenty of other reasons to close that border.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Because mosquitos die in the cold, and the state in most danger, Florida, gets cold enough winters to do the job. Considering mosquitos themselves are the reservoir and vector for the virus, we only gotta wait until winter to be rid of the virus.

Of course, it can come back next year the same way it did this year, but you can't possibly advocate for closing all borders because of the icky wicky microbes from South America.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Because mosquitos die in the cold, and the state in most danger, Florida, gets cold enough winters to do the job. Considering mosquitos themselves are the reservoir and vector for the virus, we only gotta wait until winter to be rid of the virus.

Of course, it can come back next year the same way it did this year, but you can't possibly advocate for closing all borders because of the icky wicky microbes from South America.

Uh, I would argue that humans are the reservoir for the virus, but maybe that's a terminology failure on my part. Makes more sense to say the thing that has the virus and is capable of transmitting it (via mosquito, the vector) with a longer lifespan will be the reservoir. Also the fact that humans travel much, much farther than an individual mosquito which has bitten an infected person. Human travel is the problem. And yes, I absolutely can advocate for restricting travel to places with extremely harmful, easily transmittable diseases. I'm not saying close the borders entirety, but use some common fucking sense. We're going to spend billions upon billions of dollars dealing with this disease in our country when we could've spent tens of millions enacting travel restrictions/quarantine procedures.

Also you're wrong about the temperatures in Florida making it irrelevant, according to Google.

Mosquitoes hibernate. They are cold-blooded and prefer temperatures over 80 degrees. At temperatures less than 50 degrees, they shut down for the winter. The adult females of some species find holes where they wait for warmer weather, while others lay their eggs in freezing water and die.
    Winter. On average, Florida has the mildest winters in the United States. Average lows range from 65 °F (18 °C) in Key West to near 41 °F (5 °C) degrees Fahrenheit at Tallahassee, whereas daytime highs range from 64 °F (18 °C) at Tallahassee to 77 °F (25 °C) at Miami.
    The southern section of Florida is still warm enough for mosquitoes to stay buzzing year round.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The southern part is also where most efforts to combat zika are taking place, if people would stop cockblocking shit like gmo mosquitos.

Also, reservoir refers to where the virus natively resides and from where it can move on to infect others (it's not obligated to move on though), in this case Aedes mosquitos. I can't recall reading research that says humans are also a reservoir, but I could be wrong. Just because we can be infected with something doesn't mean we act as a reservoir, we have to be able to harbor the microbe (we do), but also infect or pass along via a vector. In this case, idk if a zika negative Aedes bites a zika positive human, if the zika can move from human to mosquito; it's an important distinction to make cause many diseases can only be transmitted one way, not two ways. For example, horses and humans can be infected by EEE, but generally speaking don't transfer it back to mosquito.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I wish people understood that we have been genetically modifying shit for millennia. we're just doing it with better, more precise, and overall safer tools now :/

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Do you have a dog? Nigga you better return your GMO Wolf.

This is getting into an extremely pedantic argument, but here's an article from January of this year suggesting that the reservoir has always been considered to be humans, whereas mosquitoes would be the transmission vector.

http://www.virology.ws/2016/01/28/zika-virus/

Zika virus is transmitted among humans by mosquito bites. The virus has been found in various mosquitoes of the Aedes genus, including Aedes africanus, Aedes apicoargenteus, Aedes leuteocephalus, Aedes aegypti, Aedes vitattus, and Aedes furcifer. Aedes albopictus was identified as the primary vector for Zika virus transmission in the Gabon outbreak of 2007. Whether there are non-human reservoirs for Zika virus has not been established.
    The WHO also notes that Zika can be transmitted sexually.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/zika/en/

Zika virus is primarily transmitted to people through the bite of an infected mosquito from the Aedes genus, mainly Aedes aegypti in tropical regions. Aedes mosquitoes usually bite during the day, peaking during early morning and late afternoon/evening. This is the same mosquito that transmits dengue, chikungunya and yellow fever. Sexual transmission of Zika virus is also possible. Other modes of transmission such as blood transfusion are being investigated.
    Stepping away from the pedantry, the core of your argument is "who gives a fuck, we're fighting the good fight against AN ENTIRE SPECIES OF INSECT, if only those silly anti-science people would let us do it right." My argument is this fight is retarded, and a massive waste of our limited resources, and it would've been far simpler and cheaper to just restrict travel or have mandatory quarantine procedures for anyone coming from the regions with documented outbreaks. Like you would do for any outbreak of a dangerous and easily transmitted disease.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

in this case, idk if a zika negative Aedes bites a zika positive human, if the zika can move from human to mosquito
    For Zika, it is transmitted exactly that way.
    Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on a person already infected with the virus. Infected mosquitoes can then spread the virus to other people through bites. The mosquitoes generally acquire the virus while feeding on the blood of an infected person. After virus incubation for eight to ten days, an infected mosquito is capable, during probing and blood feeding, of transmitting the virus for the rest of its life.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The virus can reproduce in the mosquito though, meaning they don't need humans for the virus species to survive. Humans could disappear today and zika would still be around. I wasn't sure if it could go mosquito-human-mosquito, but that's less of a concern for us especially in colder months.

Don't worry Blubb, I didn't forget about you. I'm assisting with a lab tho so I'll be right back.

Take your time. And just to be clear, I'm not saying we should stop the efforts targeting mosquitoes *now*. They are an absolute necessity now. But they're only a necessity because of our government's stupidity in handling the most obvious international disease outbreak in history.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

This is getting into an extremely pedantic argument, but here's an article from January of this year suggesting that the reservoir has always been considered to be humans, whereas mosquitoes would be the transmission vector.

http://www.virology.ws/2016/01/28/zika-virus/

The WHO also notes that Zika can be transmitted sexually.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/zika/en/

Stepping away from the pedantry, the core of your argument is "who gives a fuck, we're fighting the good fight against AN ENTIRE SPECIES OF INSECT, if only those silly anti-science people would let us do it right." My argument is this fight is retarded, and a massive waste of our limited resources, and it would've been far simpler and cheaper to just restrict travel or have mandatory quarantine procedures for anyone coming from the regions with documented outbreaks. Like you would do for any outbreak of a dangerous and easily transmitted disease.
    Except your actions have far wide reaching implications for economies around the world, never mind all the other issues, all to -only- lower the chance of a spread happening.

A scientific approach has the benefit of dealing with the problem now that it's here, because any microbiologist can tell you it's impossible to guarantee the prevention of a disease like this. The best option is to mitigate its spread as best we can while treating it once were infected, at least until we make vaccines. Then we don't give a shit lol.

Except your actions have far wide reaching implications for economies around the world, never mind all the other issues, all to -only- lower the chance of a spread happening.

A scientific approach has the benefit of dealing with the problem now that it's here, because any microbiologist can tell you it's impossible to guarantee the prevention of a disease like this. The best option is to mitigate its spread as best we can while treating it once were infected, at least until we make vaccines. Then we don't give a shit lol.

You're exactly right, the most logical thing to do is to limit the spread. And the best way to limit the spread of a disease which spreads through fucking mosquito bites is to limit human travel and quarantine people in clean, indoor environments so they can't get bit. Trying to go after all mosquitoes is an enormous, and nigh impossible task.

Also, I don't give a shit about economies around the world. I care about the safety of our people here. The absolutely minuscule benefit to South American economies due to tourism from our citizens pales in comparison to the absolute certainty of an outbreak. Without travel restrictions, local transmission was inevitable. We're not talking about ebola where you practically had to make out with someone who was very obviously ill in order to contract the disease. Every goddamn person gets bitten by at least one mosquito when they walk outside for more than an hour. Many people get bitten within minutes of going outside.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Your right to be concerned, but I believe you greatly underestimate the cost of limiting travel of not just persons but boats/cargo too (since mosquitos can hide out there too) from all zika affected countries. Likewise, you ignore the possibility of an infected individual traveling to a non-banned country, fucking a broad, and said broad coming to the US to spread her zika around. And it doesn't matter if you try to screen for that as people will always lie.

Like I said before, one approach -only- lowers the chance of zika traveling here, while costing us most likely billions, while the other doesn't care where you are because it's gonna vaccinate it away or make sure all the males in the population are shooting blanks.

Basically, doing anything costs time and money, but only one guarantees results =P.