+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Vuitton

Who the Hell Made Rebecca Black’s ‘Friday’ Video?

I wanted to share this article I found about the people behind this video that has gone viral recently (due to Daniel Tosh, I believe.) It is pretty hilarious if you're looking for other similar videos, or enjoy the irony of it all.

http://www.bohemian.com/citysound/?p=7181

By now, chances are you’re one of the 100,000 people who today have ratcheted up a ton of views on the completely Bonkersville video for Rebecca Black, “Friday.” Where to begin? The way Autotune makes her pronounce the word “Fraah EE Daayee”? The existential question of which car seat to take? The segment in the bridge where it is very explicitly explained exactly where in the rotation of days of the week Friday falls?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LR...layer_embedded

So yes, you are blown away. My friend Trevor puts it best: “It’s like everyone involved was given cat tranquilizers and then forced at gunpoint to make a video. The expression on her face when she’s saying the “fun fun fun fun” line is somewhere between ‘I’m saying “fun” but that word means something different on our world’ and ‘Help me I am being held hostage by Kim Jong Il and forced to do this.’”

Who the hell made this video?

The answer is Ark Music Factory, a Los Angeles-based company operating as an industry hybrid of Maurice Starr and John Bennett Ramsey. Their casting calls are perfect bait for starry-eyed parents: “If you are a great singer without any material and you want to get discovered,” one reads, “then Ark Music Factory is looking for you.”

The formula is simple: They’ll fly your child between the specified ages of 13-17 to Los Angeles, write her a “hit,” record it in super-compressed Autotuned production, shoot an edge detection-overlay video and BAM! Maybe your kid can notch up a couple thousand YouTube views while you watch your dreams of being a pop-star parent percolate.

Ark Music Factory was launched last month by Patrice Wilson and Clarence Jey—pictured here with one of their pop stars-in-training, J’Rose. Clarence Jey has a MySpace with songs like “Nasty Boi” and “Party Like the Rich Kids.” The biggest name he’s worked with so far is Richie Kotzen, a guitar player from the 1980s hair-glam band Poison. He’s made a “chillax album,” and apparently has studied his Giorgio Moroder. He’s worked with girls as young as nine years old.

In fact, young girls seem to be Jey and Wilson’s preference, looking at Ark Music Factory’s roster. Here’s CJ Fam, a girl who usually sings at Ronald McDonald fundraisers and County Fairs, starring in “Five Days With Ark Music Factory.” It’s supposed be a commercial for Clarence Jey and Patrice Wilson’s company, but it just looks plain depressing, creepy and horrible:

Ark Music Factory obviously has put a lot of effort into promoting a girl from Madison named Kaya Rosenthal, whose “Can’t Get You Out of My Mind” video was heavily promoted but has already been surpassed in views by Rebecca Black’s “Friday” video since I started typing this post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=z7-1BYFBngs

Kaya at least understands the music video game—she took part in this spoof of music videos—but most of Ark’s clients appear oblivious to the realities of the music industry. In the comments of another video filmed by Ark Music Factory’s in-house producers, Sarah Maugaotega’s friends ask questions like “howd you make this !?” and “amazing howd you do it?” Sarah’s probably the most natural-sounding and looking singer on Ark’s roster, and her official YouTube channel has only seven subscribers. Nevertheless, this video got made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2y_hp7TfBm4

The Ark Music Factory video team of Chris Lowe and Ian Hotchkins has some pretty standard teenage boy-girl ideas revolving around breakups, like this video by Ashley Rose, or this dippy, semi-charming video by Britt Rutter…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RsiRwvGQn_M

…both of which trade pretty heavily in teenage tropes like texting and video chat. Then there’s the truly unexplainable videos, like “Crazy” by Darla Beaux, which shows the teenage singer in a straitjacket on a survelliance camera, interspersed with hipstamatic shots. Most of the others are just as formless in concept.

You’ve got to wonder: What if all these Ark Music Factory girls hung out together, for one night? What would happen? Would the space-time continuum rupture? Behold, the Ark Music Factory launch party, which has to be seen to be believed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=87QCmugOST4

Now look—I’m not going to say that Jey or Wilson are pedophiles, like a lot of internet commenters are doing. That’s a really rash conclusion to reach with no evidence, especially when we all know that the music industry thrives on young girls. They’re just doing what every shuckster in L.A. is doing, with the knowledge that short shorts on skinny legs will never go out of style.

But I will point out that their company obviously needs a lot of money to rent Rolls-Royces; pay studio time; shoot videos and rent venues and musicians and soundmen for launch parties. That money ain’t coming from record sales or publishing royalties. It’s coming pretty obviously from rich parents, buying a chunk of the L.A. myth a few days at a time so their kids can brag about it at school and continue to inflate their own vanity.

Money Quote:

Is it sad? That depends on your point of view. Is it hilarious that “Friday,” Ark Music Factory’s biggest hit, has gotten famous for being mercilessly made fun of on the internet? You bet it is.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

I was talking to my friend about this on AIM... That guy just has a storm of 13-15 year olds doing music videos, really horrible ones, in hopes that he can land the next lolBieber.

Vuitton

I think its more of a business that milks rich parents with bitchy daughters who want to be famous. Its like MTV's Sweet 16, but instead of a million dollar birthday they want to play million dollar pop-star pretend with full on music video and live performance.

and maybe if they're lucky they'll also find the new bieber. or at least a club hit that can be milked. I can see that Kaya girl's song being played in some douchey club at least (it doesnt sound all wonky like that Friday song).

Coke of Vanilla
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Maelstrom

And here I thought it would be a video of Black Friday.

Vuitton

And here I thought it would be a video of Black Friday.
    http://hiphopspy.com/wp-content/uplo.../fridaydvd.jpg

?

edit:

damn, even that dvd box is quoting that bitch rebecca black. "a lot can go down between thursday and saturday".

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So it's fast food teen-pop-idols?

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

This generation of kids are completely fucked... Its like parents just don't know what to do anymore. Sweet 16, Skins, and now this garbage. Don't think I'd ever let my kids take part in this.

And that Friday song, omg man. I could not take over 60 seconds of it and had to shut it off. Only thing good that is coming out of these stupid kids are the meeeemeeeees. Shall we start?! OK!

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li...2yz0o1_400.jpg
    http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li...wr2ao1_400.png
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh...11kdo1_500.png

Edit: Pretty much Tricen. If you just keep throwing them out there you'll get lucky on one ya?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Fried egg! Fried egg! Fried egg! Fried egg! Fried egg! Fried egg!

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

lmfao the comments on reddit are HILARIOUS.

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comme..._want_to_kill/

Movie commentator: "In a post-apocalyptic world... populated only by rich 14 year olds... One random black dude must help a girl with a speech disorder decide... Which-Seat-Will-She-Take?!"
    This is why our 14 year old daughters think we don't take them seriously. They have to make decisions like this EVERY FUCKING DAY, and we have no idea what that is like. We can't understand the pressure they have on them when their friends pull up and they have to make a SPLIT SECOND CHOICE about where to sit.
    Of course this is all ignoring the fact that all seats but the middle bitch seat are taken in the video. How did the dumb bitch not notice that?

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

Of all the unsettling videos on the Internet... I do believe that that one was probably the hardest to sit through...

i fucking hate this video so much

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    LOL! Oh man, that made this thread worth it. That and the comment. Please keep them coming, I need this.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Fuck this bitch. Needs to be more trolling on the "God is amazing" one.

aduidarnenye

I am utterly tone deaf and even I think these songs and videos are atrocious.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

the best part was the party with all the singers, they held a ipad to a mic to play an "im sorry im not there" bit from who i assume is the guy that runs this shitfest

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Holy shit these images are fucking hilarious, saved a bunch.

The Kaya chick is pretty cute, she can get it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

What I did when I saw that picture:
    ->->->->

Ridill
    BG Level

this is now frontpage news on yahoo

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/vid...rst-song-ever/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast