FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Was enjoyable but nowhere near as good as the other 2 seasons. Saw the final "twist" coming from a mile away.

Spoiler: show
    Should not have taken an entire damn season to get Doug back to his normal groove.

I feel like this is gonna be the throwaway season that could've been done in a few episodes based on all the development we got.
    While seasons 1 & 2 are near-perfect adaptions of the British original, season 3 feels like only a third of what happened in the original. They're really stretching out the original material to a point where it's paper thin. I'm enjoying it some, but this season is feeling as week as season 2 of Lilyhammer. They've also really cut back on the nudity & drugs to make the series more appealing to networks who will pick it up at a later point.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Nem0 View Post
    On episode 8 atm is there a reason that Benito Martinez left the series? i know they came up with a story for getting rid of his character but just seems odd to get rid of one of Franks most seen adversaries that had been built up last season.
    I wondered this about him and the reporter Ayla who was basically replaced by a very similar character.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    I wondered this about him and the reporter Ayla who was basically replaced by a very similar character.
    I caught this too, but replacing the reporter made a lot more sense than replacing Hector abruptly. Why on Earth would Frank get rid of someone who he made the most headway with at the negotiating table for someone who just said no to everything and forced his hand. My friend speculates that something happened on set like a dispute. It was like one episode he was there with no indication that he was leaving, and the next Netflix was like Hector is on timeout, here is his replacement.

At least the reporter being replaced made sense and was more in tune with the story line. The reporter overstepped her boundaries, got fired, and the newspaper sent in a more ruthless reporter. "Let out a pitbull to let in a dragon." You SAW what happened to the reporter. Hector disappeared "off screen" with like 2 sentences of dialog from Frank.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Biggest problem I had with Season 3:

The way Frank won the Iowa Caucus. You mean to tell me his approval ratings were at an all time low, he was painted as this scumbag President, was neck and neck with Dunbar (Like 45% to 43%), Jackie dropped out and supported Dunbar (theoretically 14%), the Democratic leadership refused to get behind Frank and he STILL won?!? FOH!

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    Biggest problem I had with Season 3:

The way Frank won the Iowa Caucus. You mean to tell me his approval ratings were at an all time low, he was painted as this scumbag President, was neck and neck with Dunbar (Like 45% to 43%), Jackie dropped out and supported Dunbar (theoretically 14%), the Democratic leadership refused to get behind Frank and he STILL won?!? FOH!
    I agree. Did a single thing go his way as president besides America Works? Which plenty of people would still hate considering where the money came from.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I finished the season last night. Didn't think it was as good as Season 1 and 2.

When watching Stamper bury Rachel, I laughed at the scene. I don't think that was the intent of the scene.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Illsathe View Post
    When watching Stamper bury Rachel, I laughed at the scene. I don't think that was the intent of the scene.
    I think it was supposed to be kind of tongue in cheek because of how the whole thing played out.

Both my girlfriend and I went WTF and then burst out laughing.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

Wtf was up with the whole spraying whisky from a syringe into Doug's mouth thing? I thought that was utterly pointless and dumb.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by bori View Post
    Wtf was up with the whole spraying whisky from a syringe into Doug's mouth thing? I thought that was utterly pointless and dumb.
    He was trying to control his alcoholism while being a little weird with it. He's a bit of a weird guy. Did a pretty good job to until he got the bad "news."

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

not sure if this will be an unpopular opinion, just finished the last episode today. by far the worst season of house of cards. i would have rather it ended after season 2 and there had been no season 3

edit: after going back and clicking through all the spoilers it seems it wasn't an unpopular opinion

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I actually don't think I've heard a single person say they liked this season better than the previous ones.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Illsathe View Post
    I finished the season last night. Didn't think it was as good as Season 1 and 2.

I also lul'd, but it was obvious the intent of the scene. He was cutting all ties to return to the badass, take no BS Doug Stamper we all know and love from Season 1 & 2. He's more or less resold his soul to Underwood, and there can't be any more love for stopping him.

Quote Originally Posted by bori View Post
    It was showing his slow lapse back into alcoholism. He uses the syringe because he wants to have a drink to wash away his sorrows, but just enough in case so he can "control it." He talks about this to his brother after finding out Rachael was still alive. He later goes back into said alcoholism full OD (forgoing the syringe) the more to the edge he gets. It's awkward, but that's how it is. You have to picture the man being sober for well over 15 years and now wanting a drink.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Doug's drinking:

I understand Doug was initially just trying to control the quantity of his consumption, but a fucking syringe? I just found that extremely unnecessary. I think an eye dropper, if anything, was more appropriate, but a syringe? Nah bruh.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I liked this season.
    Also, I don't generally categorize TV seasons as rankings of "betterness" Was season 2 more exciting? Yes. But would it have been realistic to keep that up? I don't know. Similarly, I have a hard time talking about some other show and hearing "but it's not Breaking Bad." Ya, that's why it has a different plot, characters, etc.

Was FU supposed to be killing hookers in the oval office and have Seth spin some fantastic lies to the journalists about the smell to keep up the pace? He's now the king of the hill and that's a different strategy looking top down then bottom up. I spent this season wondering who was going to out-Frank Frank and he survived the onslaught.

he threw a reporter into an oncoming train when he was vice president. people also arent criticizing this season because frank didnt murder anyone lol

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by chazzyphizzle View Post
    he threw a reporter into an oncoming train when he was vice president. people also arent criticizing this season because frank didnt murder anyone lol
    He wasn't VP yet. We're falling from his rise - he can't go up forever. I enjoyed watching him try to keep everything together and only getting moderate success at great costs

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

it was an ok season, only complaint is only one pair of boobs seen

you are obviously a connoisseur of quality television

E. Body
    BG Level

Maybe I'm not remember the first two season accurately, but I really, really missed the breaking-the-fourth-wall exposition in this season. It seemed extremely sparse compared to S1 and S2, but I didn't re-watch either one going into S3. Anyone get that impression?

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeah it was way less. I think many people complained he spoonfed watchers everything. But I enjoy listening to him. Wanted more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast