Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (MC: 68, RT: 83%)

Director: Rupert Wyatt
    IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1318514/
    Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_of_the_Apes

Synopsis:

An origin story set in present day San Francisco, where man's own experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy.
    James Franco is set to play a scientist working on a cure for Alzheimer's by testing on apes. When test subject Caesar suddenly begins to mutate rapidly, the scientist takes him home to remove him from the cruel lab doctors.

Cast:

James Franco ... Will Rodman
    Tom Felton
    Freida Pinto ... Caroline
    Brian Cox
    Tyler Labine ... Franklin
    Andy Serkis ... Caesar
    John Lithgow
    David Hewlett ... Hunsiker
    Sonja Bennett ... Woman on Street
    David Oyelowo ... Steve Jacobs
    Leah Gibson ... Alyssa Williams
    Jamie Harris ... Roy
    Chelah Horsdal ... Irena
    Karin Konoval ... Maurice
    Richard Ridings ... Buck

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    James Franco ... Will Rodman
    Oh how cute. Where's his buddy Seth Rogan to shit up a movie when you need him.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not holding out any hopes for this.

Why all the hate toward James Franco? :/ I think he was good in every single movie he's been in. Be it serious, funny or action. I mean, the movie itself might not be a great idea but he will certainly not be the reason it sucks...plus John "STUPID FUCKING CUNT" Lithgow.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I'm officially banning the word "rise" from movie titles. Is it so hard to pick verbs?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So.....this takes place during the time the astronauts are on their voyage which inevitably leads them to a future Earth? Not really sure how I feel about that. Sometimes you don't want things explained in a sci-fi series, it ruins the 'magic'.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

new title: RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

20th Century Fox has changed the title to their Plant of the Apes prequel yet again. At first it was called Caesar, then Caesar: Rise of the Apes, the studio settled on Rise of the Apes for awhile, but today they decided to change it to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
    http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/4/6/...anet-of-t.html
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...as_a_New_Title

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

They can rename it to whatever they want, it will be a stinking pile of shit no matter what lol.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Why is everyone hating on this so much. I'm not defending it I'm just curious. Is it because the other remake was so bad that no one thinks this one can be good? Or do you all just hate the concept?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Prequels are almost always a bad idea. It's because they're only derivative of something good enough to be esteemed in the first place. The original movie always stands on its own and it works in its own right. A prequel typically only tries to ride coat tails or just is entirely premised upon the notion of "oh look here's how this stuff you liked came into being". But that's not interesting and doesn't justify it's own movie.

Patton Oswald has a perfect joke for prequels. Essentially a movie has to be worthwhile by standing on its own. And if that can happen in the form of a prequel then great. But I can't think of any that have. It's just always "here's more of this original idea we had long ago".

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Mots View Post
    Why is everyone hating on this so much. I'm not defending it I'm just curious. Is it because the other remake was so bad that no one thinks this one can be good? Or do you all just hate the concept?
    I hate remakes of every form with every fiber of my being. What these people that keep remaking these classics don't understand is that it was the original story and for Planet Of the Apes, the ending, that made them so memorable. Throwing a bunch of money and CG to update them doesn't mean a damn thing. I want some fucking original ideas. The only slight upside to these monstrosities is that maybe it'll encourage more people to watch the originals and perhaps get a sense of why we hate remakes so much.

MaachaQ

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Weren't the Apes the result of hundreds of thousands of evolution? So no? We're going with genetic experiments?
    It's been a while since I watched them, but there were 5 movies in the original series. This prequel is changing the back story from Escape from & Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. In the original series, Cornelius and Zira travelled back in time and had a baby there, who grew up to be Caesar, leader of the Ape revolt. I will probably have to pull out my box set and watch all the films again before this one comes out...

Found a torrent of the whole series, might just download them myself rather than dig out my DVD boxset from wherever it's hiding ^^;

http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/1999977/40288374/

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

be afraid

Press release:

WETA Digital, the industry-leading and Academy Award® winning visual effects house behind the wizardry of films such as Avatar, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and District 9, will host a livestream event on Facebook, for RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. On April 13, at 2:30PM PDT, from WETA’s headquarters in Wellington, New Zealand, WETA’s Joe Letteri and Dan Lemmon will give viewers an exclusive, behind-the-scenes look at their work on the film, a reality-based cautionary tale that blends science fiction and science-fact – and is the last big event movie of the summer.

The event will live on Facebook’s official fan page for Avatar, which has 14.2 million followers. Last year, WETA won an Academy Award for its groundbreaking visual effects work in rendering an entire fantasy world in James Cameron’s history-making epic. WETA’s work on RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES presented very different challenges and opportunities. In addition to creating a CG character that gives a performance of unprecedented emotion and intelligence, WETA is applying some of the technology it developed for Avatar to bring to life a real world – the film is set in modern-day San Francisco – and epic battles on which rest the upended destinies of man and primate.

Letteri, a five-time Oscar® winner, and Lemmon will provide a look into WETA’s process, and explain how working on a Planet of the Apes film has long been the “holy grail” of visual effects wizardry – and a driving force behind their own careers. In addition, visitors to the livestream event will hear from other RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES filmmakers, including director Rupert Wyatt, and get a behind-the-scenes look at the work of actor Andy Serkis, whose nuanced performance is playing a key role in WETA’s rendering of Caesar, the film’s principal ape character.

In the film’s story, a single act of both compassion and arrogance leads to a war unlike any other -- and to the RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. It stars James Franco, Freida Pinto, John Lithgow, Brian Cox, Tom Felton, David Oyelowo and Andy Serkis as Caesar. Peter Chernin and Dylan Clark are producing for Chernin Entertainment under its pact with Fox. Rupert Wyatt is directing from a screenplay by Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver, who are also producing.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

oh sweet, William Stryker is in this.

I like the original planet of the ape movies, I even kinna like the Mark Walhberg one but I just dont see this one having a good plot. Bunch of monkeys escape from the zoo and murder billions of people? Really? Monkey jumping at a helicopter wtf?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Isn't it incredibly against the original planet of the apes for the apes to have been the ones to take over the planet? Wasn't the whole point that we blew ourselves up and the apes were more peaceful than us?

Yeah, the whole statue of liberty scene... Wtf in this movie people all of the sudden forget how to use guns?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    Wtf in this movie people all of the sudden forget how to use guns?
    The monkeys obviously steal them

Quote Originally Posted by Stilzkin View Post
    The monkeys obviously steal them
    just how Oakland likes it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast