Closed Thread
Page 4 of 167 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Hi guys, i posted in random question more about the site i was using, and didn't realize this sticky was here (Was wondering what had happened to all the new build threads) have a few questions about a build if ya'll would care to answer them for me it would be great ! :D

So my uni course leader has told me i will need a machine with "8gb RAM and a new/good Graphics Card" for my final year. Thats all he's told me, and i know it will be used for alot of HD video/audio editing, 3D modeling, CAD and other such things so i was hoping to put together a good machine for this with as little money as possible been looking at around the £600 mark.

I have a 19" samsung HDTV so i dont think i will need a monitor (unless for some reason i should get one?)

I was thinking on something along these lines:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8805/computere.png

Any thoughts, think a better PSU and graphics card would be needed :/ kinda lost lol

Thanks!

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

The tricky part here is the GPU. For CAD/CAM and 3D modeling it would be more useful to have a card designed for that kind of work - namely an AMD FirePro or NVidia Quadro instead of the gaming/FPS-oriented Radeon or GeForce. Those cards tend to be more expensive even at the low end, and can be hard to find (Newegg has them, but I checked a bunch of UK vendors and didn't find any outside of Amazon). If you wanted to also use the machine for gaming, you might have to do a quasi XFire/SLI setup.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Any thoughts, think a better PSU and graphics card would be needed :/ kinda lost lol
    A good graphics card will pretty much mean a better PSU. Keep in mind that both AMD and nVidia have workstation graphics card lines in addition to their gaming cards - Quadro for nVidia, FirePro for AMD. Those cards are far more optimized for CAD/3D/etc than the gaming oriented cards...but area also significantly more expensive, despite usually being based around the same basic GPU.
    It might be worth checking with your teacher/program to see if they have a recommendation that'd work well for the particular software packages you'll be using.

'course, if you're just learning basics, then it's probably not that big a deal.

I have a 19" samsung HDTV so i dont think i will need a monitor (unless for some reason i should get one?)
    If it's not a 1080p TV, then probably. Pixel pitch is also usually different for TVs, and many are TN panels (though so are most cheap PC monitors). It might prove hard to fit a quality monitor into your budget though.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

OK so i have been looking into getting the machine built myself by just getting the components.. is there anything i am missing here?

Machine

500W PSU
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPS...4253173&sr=8-1

24x CD/DVD read/writer
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liteon-IHAS3...4254020&sr=1-2

Processor Cooling
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooli...4254065&sr=1-1

workstation capable card:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-ATI-Fire...4255307&sr=8-1

Case:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-Z7-PL...4254204&sr=8-3

1TB Hard Drive:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitachi-Hds7...4253970&sr=1-4

ASUS P8H67-M-LX motherboard
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-P8H67-M...4270056&sr=1-1

Ram x 2
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/232760

Processor:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Sandyb...4253294&sr=8-1

Isiolia it is a 1080p TV , and i have a keyboard and mouse and speakers so dont need to add that in to the price. Would this be ok?
    (really feeling like ive forgotten something)

Let me know, Thanks!

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Pretty sure that's the micro-ATX version of the P8P67, any reason why you don't want the regular sized board?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    Pretty sure that's the micro-ATX version of the P8P67, any reason why you don't want the regular sized board?
    Whoops, think it was this one i meant to put in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-P8H67-M...4270056&sr=1-1

Any thoughts on the build?

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

If you intended to get a workstation graphics card, that's a pretty decent choice for the money.

Only thing that I would change is the cooler. The AC Freezer 7 Rev2 is good, but the smaller 92mm fan means it'll still run hotter and louder than other coolers. Consider stepping up to a unit with a 120mm fan - There's the AC Freezer Pro 13, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 or N520, Noctua's NH-U12P, and a whole bunch more.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    If you intended to get a workstation graphics card, that's a pretty decent choice for the money.

Only thing that I would change is the cooler. The AC Freezer 7 Rev2 is good, but the smaller 92mm fan means it'll still run hotter and louder than other coolers. Consider stepping up to a unit with a 120mm fan - There's the AC Freezer Pro 13, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 or N520, Noctua's NH-U12P, and a whole bunch more.
    With that card i linked what outputs has it got? I think im confusing myself with this as im looking hdmi.. It says 2 display port and 1 DVI, i do have a DVI to HDMI adaptor but would that output in true HD? Im not too familiar with the workings of graphics cards.

Yup ive taken a look at some coolermaster coolers and think i will go with a 120mm fan version, Thanks for the advice!

Would you recommend sticking with the 1TB hard drive or should i get an SSD as well, not sure if i can fit it into my budget atm :/

Cheers!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

With that card i linked what outputs has it got? I think im confusing myself with this as im looking hdmi.. It says 2 display port and 1 DVI, i do have a DVI to HDMI adaptor but would that output in true HD? Im not too familiar with the workings of graphics cards.
    Both Displayport and DVI can be converted to HDMI for 1080p. Higher resolutions than that may cause issues though (can only convert over "single link" DVI, and resolutions higher than 1920x1200 require dual link).

SSD is nice if you can fit it in your budget. If not, you can always get one later.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    Both Displayport and DVI can be converted to HDMI for 1080p. Higher resolutions than that may cause issues though (can only convert over "single link" DVI, and resolutions higher than 1920x1200 require dual link).

SSD is nice if you can fit it in your budget. If not, you can always get one later.
    Thanks, i think im near enough done with choosing parts for my build, so will hopefully get it done by summer!

Spoke to my parents and they said as its for uni work they would put money towards it nearer the start of final year so i will hold off and get an SSD then i reckon! and maybe a dedicated monitor also!

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Welp, it's that time for me to finally be getting my actual gaming pc. now that i've passed cal my parents are gung-ho about me finally replacing my dying craptop.

i have ram and hdd covered... looking at mobo, vidyacard, power supply, and case.
    i would say help with cpu but come on, i7 2600k or bust advice on a proper heatsink would be great

mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-703-_-Product
    case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119194

i'll be updating this post with what i'm looking at, but i'm takin advice if ya have it!

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Vandole View Post
    Welp, it's that time for me to finally be getting my actual gaming pc. now that i've passed cal my parents are gung-ho about me finally replacing my dying craptop.

i have ram and hdd covered... looking at mobo, vidyacard, power supply, and case.
    i would say help with cpu but come on, i7 2600k or bust advice on a proper heatsink would be great

mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-703-_-Product
    case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119194

i'll be updating this post with what i'm looking at, but i'm takin advice if ya have it!
    Hokay.

Are you planning on running a database server, doing 3D modeling, encoding a lot of video files, constantly RARing and unRARing multi-gigabyte files, or anything similar? If so, congratulations, you need a 2600K. If not, save yourself a hundred bucks and get a 2500K, because when it comes to gaming and general desktop usability, there is practically zero discernible difference. Including overclocking.

Cooler... if you're not planning on extreme overclocking (4.5GHz+), CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ is a great value buy at about $25. If you want hueg air, Thermalright Archon, Thermalright Silver Arrow, or Noctua N-DH14 are all solid choices. Self-contained water cooling rarely outperforms high-end air these days. Corsair H50/H70 are decent, the new Antec Kuhlers are okay, etc. All decent cooling and fairly quiet, but heatpipe tower air coolers, engineered well, are just hoss.

Mobo... P8P67 is solid. I have the Pro version, which I'm happy with (needed board that would actually be good for CF), but I know some people have had issues with quality control. The price-comparable boards from MSI and Asrock are also solid, but the ASUS is not a bad buy.

Case... any particular reason for that CoolerMaster? Steel/plastic at the same price point, you could pick up a NZXT Phantom, which has shown to have pretty damn good airflow in testing. It comes in a crapload of different color schemes, and with coupons on Newegg, it's currently on sale for $120. If it's a CoolerMaster brand loyalty thing (lol), think about going for a HAF series case, they're also solid. Orrrr, you can always go aluminum, in which case Lian Li is really hard to go wrong with. I have a PC-9F, it's not perfect, but it's pretty damn awesome.

Vidyacard... Radeon 6950 if you're an AMD fan (many of them you can unlock shaders to match 6970s, in addition to overclocking). GTX 560 or 570 if you're an nVidia fan. 6970 or GTX-580 if you've got a bit more money to spend. 6950 CrossFire or 560 SLI if you want to go multi-GPU.

Power supply... Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W if you are going single GPU, don't plan on using 11ty billion case fans, etc. Alternatively, Seasonic X series 2nd gen (X560, X760, etc.), sized appropriately. Alternately, Seasonic X series 1st gen (X_50) or the Corsair AX series, which at 850W or less, is a 1s gen Seasonic X series, with Corsair customer support. I have a Seasonic X760, which is more than sufficient for a 2500K at 4.5GHz, 2x5870, 4xHDD, 4x fans.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

i was looking at the cooler master because it seemed the easiest thing to do cable management with. i've never built a PC before so that seemed like a big plus for me. is that just a gimmick or is cable management easy to do with normal cases?

while looking around last night, i think i decided on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341018 for my power supply.

ironically enough i found that 212+ before i checked this thread lol. seems we are both agreeing on that one.

i know people think its dumb but i do want a pretty neato case, so i'm still trying to decide on what i want.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So if there's one thing to not-cheap-out on, it's the power supply. That OCZ is... really nothing special.

There's more to life than efficiency ratings, but, generally speaking, if a power supply hits 80+ Gold (or higher), it has to be built to very high standards, which tends to bring along fringe benefits of good voltage regulation, high reliability, useful features (e.g. full modularity), etc. Power surges or other nastiness can fry several hundred dollars worth of components, so good regulation, surge suppression, and low failure rate are pretty damn cost-effective peace of mind.

Also, while on that subject, everyone always goes too high on their wattage choices. Unless you plan on going multi-GPU (whether SLI/CFX or dual-GPU cards), there is no need to have such a honking huge beast. 550W is plenty for any single-GPU build, even if you plan to overclock. Higher is not necessarily better, as you'll be running your fully loaded system below the PSU's ideal efficiency range (usually PSUs are at their best between 50% and 80% loading).

If you're going by reviews and total system power draw, those numbers are ALWAYS measured in AC watts (e.g. at the wall with a Kill-A-Watt), which is always higher than the DC draw (which is what the PSU is rated for). A 700W PSU, for example, can handle up to 700W DC. If it's 80% efficient (e.g. an 80+ certified unit), that means up to 840W at the wall.

Most cases these days are decent for cable management. Corsair and CoolerMaster *are* well-known for it, but even with them, not all cases are not created equal. If you're spending at least a bill on a case, it will generally have decent cable management. I'd look at least as much at airflow, heat zones, fan mounts (and filters), and aesthetics you like as cable management. Most review sites are useless when it comes to cases, a depressingly large fraction never even build a PC in the case, just ogle the marketing crap and take photos of the empty case.

I don't know how much you ever plan on moving your case (LAN parties, short-term leases, etc.). If that answer is "kinda often" think REAL hard about aluminum. I switched from an Antec P-182 (steel & plastic) to a Lian Li PC-9F (aluminum), and cut nearly 20lbs off the empty case weight. You notice that, quickly. Bonus: the Lian Li has better airflow and the case is a better heatsink, so my system temps are lower, despite sitting in the exact same spot.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

i do plan on getting a second video card eventually. link me to a proper PSU then since the one i found(came recommended from a lot of /g/uys) if you don't mind.

i do plan on moving, but 20 lbs really will not make any difference to me... it's not like i'm an out of shape neckbeard lol

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Some really great advice given, thanks for sharing, Amas

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Vandole View Post
    i do plan on getting a second video card eventually. link me to a proper PSU then since the one i found(came recommended from a lot of /g/uys) if you don't mind.

i do plan on moving, but 20 lbs really will not make any difference to me... it's not like i'm an out of shape neckbeard lol
    Sure.

Mine is a 760W Seasonic, sized for 2x Radeon 5870: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151103
    Really good 550W, if you only need to power 1 GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817121080

I'm a skinny guy, but not an out-of-shape neckbeard. I didn't mind having a heavy steel/plastic case, but I also tended to hit up a handful of small LAN parties each year. They're hosted at one of my company's offices by a co-worker and friend, and it ends up being a pain to schlep a PC from a parking garage, inside (badge access to make it more fun), upstairs, etc. Cutting 20 lbs out just makes that process a little less of a hassle, especially since I'm usually only one of 2-3 people with badge access, so being able to one-hand a case more comfortably is handy.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

man... i wish there were lan parties where i live. people think i'm a cancerous wretch since i advocate PC gaming superiority

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Core i7 Build

Any Issues with this?

If you can't see it

• ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    • Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
    • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

Not sure if I want to Upgrade my Video card just yet, it's still been good to me, and I have like 5 Hard drives and a new case already

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Any reason you want 1333 speed RAM instead of 1600?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 167 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast