2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Why not join the 2600klub?

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Would a 2500k I5 perform similarly to a 960 I7? Not sure if I want to drop $320 on a process and if results are simillar esp with overclock, the 2500k is about $100 less.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Palin View Post
    Would a 2500k I5 perform similarly to a 960 I7? Not sure if I want to drop $320 on a process and if results are simillar esp with overclock, the 2500k is about $100 less.
    Get the 2500K. It runs a bit faster than the 960 at stock, and overclocking isn't even a contest with unlocked multipliers and a newer design. And since you don't need tri-channel memory with the 2500K you also save money there.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kingeric View Post
    Did you order any case fans?
    no, am I gonna need one? the only cooling I have is the CPU cooling unit.

I was about to freak until I realized they're super cheap lol.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Planning on upgrade my CPU as well, any feedback?

Processor - i7-960 3.2H
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115224

Mobo - ASUS Sabertooth X58
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131665

Power - hec Xpro 600W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817339025

I've read a bit about Power Supplies here and that one I had picked out seems a bit cheap and not a name brand, should I look for something better?
    To clarify... you're sitting on an i7-960 now, or want to upgrade to one? If you're sitting on an i7-960, no, don't waste the money upgrading. If you're upgrading TO a 960, switch to a 2500K. A 2500K outperforms a 960 handily, but not by enough to justify the upgrade if you already have one.

There's no particular reason to buy a new 1st gen core i5 or i7 now that the second gen is out, but it's not cost-effective to upgrade from a first gen i5 or i7 to a second gen.

Outperforms it handily. 2500K can be had fairly often for under $200 from Fry's or Microcenter, and overclocks like a fiend. Mine is currently sitting happily at 4.5GHz, and only regular travel + laziness has prevented me from pushing it further.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post

Yep. If you need cheap, decent case fans, look for Yate Loons. Hard to beat the value prop there.

Another one to consider is a Thermalright TR-FDB, they're usually about $12 before shipping, and are pretty good, especially for noise/airflow. Don't have the static pressure of Scythe Gentle Typhoons (static pressure only matters when there's obstruction, like a heatsink, a radiator, or fan filters).

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post

The case includes a single 120mm fan as well (mounted on the back), but has 5 additional places to mount fans - two on the top, two on the side panel, and one on the front, all 120mm (top fits 140mm as well).

I don't think you'll need to fill every available spot, but I'd get at least 2, probably 3 extra fans.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    The case includes a single 120mm fan as well (mounted on the back), but has 5 additional places to mount fans - two on the top, two on the side panel, and one on the front, all 120mm (top fits 140mm as well).

I don't think you'll need to fill every available spot, but I'd get at least 2, probably 3 extra fans.
    At the very least, you'll want to populate one front case fan.

Preferably both, if you don't want to dust your PC as often. Positive static pressure (more air flowing in than flowing out) isn't quite as good for cooling, but does help prevent dust buildup since it's not being sucked into the case through every crevice. The opposite, negative static pressure, does yield slight cooling improvements, at the cost of sucking in dust.

Proper airflow can be a really tricky beast, so it's better not to overthink. More fans is not automatically better.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

That case only has one front fan slot. My thought was that he'd definitely want to populate that, and then put one on the top and possibly one on the side panel. That'd put it in line with most typical setups I've seen.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Edit: D'oh.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Just posted in tech deals if any builders are looking for a storage drive:
    Nice storage drive (5400rpm) on sale: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152245

Newegg has 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive for $69.99 when you enter code HARDOCPX518B at checkout. Shipping is free.
    Remember it needs a code for the price!

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    That case only has one front fan slot. My thought was that he'd definitely want to populate that, and then put one on the top and possibly one on the side panel. That'd put it in line with most typical setups I've seen.
    Misread what you said before, thought you said 2 front mounts.

Went and got off my lazy ass and looked at that case. If he's going to use a top mount, he should use the rear one. That'll do a better job of venting hot air than populating the front one (which could actually pull cool air away from the CPU heatsink and raise CPU temps). He's going to want to make sure he has more intake than exhaust fans, I see no real filters, so that case will be a dust magnet, especially if it has any sort of negative pressure. One front, one side (over GPU) and the rear is probably plenty, as the sheer amount of open grille space will vent a ton of air.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

I decided to go with the 2500k i5. Anyone have any good suggestions at what I should look for as far as value goes in an 1155 MoBo? I found this helpful for comparing, but I'm terrible at picking out Mobo features and determining what is worth it and not.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I decided to go with the 2500k i5. Anyone have any good suggestions at what I should look for as far as value goes in an 1155 MoBo? I found this helpful for comparing, but I'm terrible at picking out Mobo features and determining what is worth it and not.
    You'd be fine with any of the P67 boards from ASUS, Gigabyte, Asrock, or MSI, though the ASUS boards have a very good mix of features and performance.

I've seen more complaints of failures on the ASUS boards, but it's very hard to be sure if they are less reliable boards, or simply used in so many enthusiast builds this generation that sample size is the real reason for seeing "more" failures. A huge chunk of the enthusiast community seems to have gone with one or another P8P67, so more forum complaints are to be expected, to some extent.

I would probably recommend ASUS or MSI over Asrock or Gigabyte for P67, and note you might want to check out Z68 too. Though, if you do not plan to use the integrated graphics chip, it doesn't bring that much to the table over P67.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Though, if you do not plan to use the integrated graphics chip, it doesn't bring that much to the table over P67.
    True, but to be fair, that isn't limited to using the GPU in lieu of a discrete card. Quick Sync acceleration can be enabled via software, and while it isn't widely used yet, it could wind up being more widespread in the future. Or not. IMO, Z68 at this point is basically future-proofing.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I think this fits in here? If not apologies.
    I'm looking in to getting a brand new laptop, since my old one is currently getting quite old and worn down.

The two laptops I'm looking at are.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/251971

and

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/252472

I'll probably be using them to play games but nothing hugely graphic intensive - Minecraft, Final Fantasy 11, Team Fortress 2, UDK tools~

I think my main question is whats better (or if anyone knows any other laptops in the same price range)? Especially between a 2.0Ghz triple core processor versus a 2.66Ghz dual core, I don't know how number of cores versus speed stacks up against each other.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Quote Originally Posted by Amastacia View Post
    You'd be fine with any of the P67 boards from ASUS, Gigabyte, Asrock, or MSI, though the ASUS boards have a very good mix of features and performance.

I've seen more complaints of failures on the ASUS boards, but it's very hard to be sure if they are less reliable boards, or simply used in so many enthusiast builds this generation that sample size is the real reason for seeing "more" failures. A huge chunk of the enthusiast community seems to have gone with one or another P8P67, so more forum complaints are to be expected, to some extent.

I would probably recommend ASUS or MSI over Asrock or Gigabyte for P67, and note you might want to check out Z68 too. Though, if you do not plan to use the integrated graphics chip, it doesn't bring that much to the table over P67.
    Ya I was looking at the ASUS P8p67 Pro on Newegg and it just seemed hit or miss with a lot of people. My biggest fear is getting a board that doesn't work right so I'm not sure if I want to go that route. Seems to have a lot of problems.

Right now I'm between an MSI p67A-GD65 or a ASROck P67 EXTREME4.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Thinking of building a rig for gaming, i'm pretty newb when it comes to computer hardware. Lookin to spend between $500-1k. Any recommendations whether I should buy one of these newegg DIY packages or if I am better off picking parts by hand?

Lookin at this package http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.638280 , is that a good deal for these parts? Any recommendation of a video card to go with it?

edit:
    looking to play bf3, sc2, ffxiv at max or high settings

thx

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

get the video card i got last week. it's wonderful.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133370

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by five View Post
    Thinking of building a rig for gaming, i'm pretty newb when it comes to computer hardware. Lookin to spend between $500-1k. Any recommendations whether I should buy one of these newegg DIY packages or if I am better off picking parts by hand?

Lookin at this package http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.638280 , is that a good deal for these parts? Any recommendation of a video card to go with it?

edit:

thx
    Everything looks good except they give you a non-K processor..

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by five View Post

edit:

thx
    The newegg packages are generally shit, including this one. It saves 50 whole dollars off retail prices of all the common parts, you can pick and choose each of them separately on sale in a given week for cheaper.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 167 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast