+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 58 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Diana was incredibly flawed. Her sense of justice was naive in that she thought people always do the right thing.

And given her character origins, it makes sense.

But it does make it harder to relate to her.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Agreed 100%.

But honestly, DC's real problem is its roster of heroes, not its villains. Aside from Batman (who at this point has been driven into the ground in movies/media and is suffering for it), DC's heroes are mainly gods or god-like entities who "mingle among the common folk" but are ultimately not very relatable to a human audience. For example, I can recognize that Wonder Woman was a better movie than the rest of DC's movies sans the Nolan Batman flicks simply because it had a cohesive story that made sense, but in the end I couldn't relate to her and didn't find her an interesting character. It is hard to empathize with someone who is only a walking justice boner and has no character traits outside of that. The awkward attempts at humor fell flat, if they intended to humanize her at all it didn't work. YMMV on this, Gal Gadot is definitely strong and beautiful just like Wonder Woman is supposed to be, but the character could have had any flavor or humanity injected into her. A flaw or two, perhaps?

Marvel's heroes, on the other hand, are mainly depicted as human people with flaws dealing with being more than their fellow humans. Tony has to overcome himself to be the best hero he can be. Spidey has to learn what power means and how to use it in a way that doesn't harm himself/others. Even Thor, who is a literal god like many of the DC heroes, initially has a character arc that pits him eye-to-eye with humanity and makes him want to be more like us. By Thor 3, he is thinking and acting more like a human than his Asgardian brethren ever did. Dr. Strange is about a guy at his lowest point using mystical powers not specifically to fight some great evil, but mainly to crawl back out of self-imposed oblivion. Civil War is less about the heroes and more about their impact on human society which is something DC hardly ever touches on. These are things that are instantly and deeply relatable to us as human beings - dudes who are on the home team, dealing with some of the same problems we might be, or at least parallels of those problems.

The comparison simply has to be made. In my mind, this is the yawning chasm that separates DC from Marvel, and unless DC does a complete 180 with how they treat their heroes (regardless of what they do with their villains), it's never going to work out as well as the Marvel movies. It will be entertaining to watch at times and it will never go deeper than that. DC can absolutely humanize their heroes more than they are doing right now. They just choose to focus on black and white "good vs evil" rather than those grey areas that plague all people/our society as a whole, and the movies suffer for it.
    I believe a lot of this is because Zack Synder is not a complicated fellow.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    Spoiler: show
    But did they ever specifically say that he was gathering them to bring Darkseid over? I only remember him vaguely once saying some shit “for Darkseid!” like the general audience has any fucking clue who or what that is ...lol

Either I totally missed it or the movie was even worse than I thought.
    I'm not great at remembering specific dialogue, but you're exactly right. When they give the X000 years in the past backstory, it seems to claim that this was to prepare Earth for the way Steppenwolf liked it as part of Steppenwolf's conquest. Then in the back half of the movie he name drops Darkseid once, implying that he's preparing Earth for the way Darkseid likes it as part of Darkseids conquest, with Steppenwolf merely being the lead general. Could have been a change in direction of the plot, or due to cut scenes, or due to the Snyder/Whedon switch ... but its possible they meant to pull back on the Darkseid talk, because as it is in the current movie, anyone who knows nothing about DC beyond "Superman and Batman exist" will probably think he said "The Dark Side" and have no clue.

In the end, I guess it doesn't matter, its either a goof or an easter egg at this point and the plot remains the same. 3 Cubes = Hellscape on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    But honestly, DC's real problem is its roster of heroes, not its villains. Aside from Batman (who at this point has been driven into the ground in movies/media and is suffering for it), DC's heroes are mainly gods or god-like entities who "mingle among the common folk" but are ultimately not very relatable to a human audience.
    What's really weird about this, is that makes Batman the most relatable hero, and he's honestly not that relatable to most people due to his privledge. He's the only "normal guy" with no powers, so other than needing to imagine one's self with shit tons of money, his struggles to take down those gods is oddly relatable. That said, even though Barry is one of the most powerful superheroes in any comic book universe, he's probably the other relatable one mostly due to his awkwardness making him similar to Spidey in Marvel .. just ya know, a billion times more powerful.

I stick my dick in Crayfish
    BG Level

Except flash in this movie is no where near flash power in the comics.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Inshiya View Post
    Except flash in this movie is no where near flash power in the comics.
    Obligatory

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

It's time for this picture again:

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Obligatory

I love it every time it's posted.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So what it comes down to. As the half in the bag review said. They wasted the death of superman. Once someone dies in the MCU, it's going to fucking matter.. a lot...

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    So what it comes down to. As the half in the bag review said. They wasted the death of superman. Once someone dies in the MCU, it's going to fucking matter.. a lot...
    Quicksilver and Agent Coulson would like a word with you.

But yeah, echoing the complaints already stated here, and RLM hit the nail on the head.

For what it's worth, they really did try. If Avengers is Lego, then Justice League is Mega Bloks. You get your kid the Bloks because you shop last minute, and they were out of Legos. Your kid is a bit disappointed because it's not what they really wanted, but they get over it and have fun with their Mega Bloks anyway.

The section of the movie right after Steppenwolf's helmet lands on the ground up until the mid credits scene was a total cringe fest. The group shot from below where Batman looked like a CGI character, and Fern Gully is going on with all of those cartoon plants growing. So terrible lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Going to see it tonight, I don't have any expectations, but I gonna there an watch this has a movie, and try to enjoy it as a movie and not try to find any holes or 'omg why didn't they do this'

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Good god that artificial tension was dumb as fuck
    talkin about the whole "Flash you need to touch the cube as it hits the fluid" bs

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Going to see it tonight, I don't have any expectations, but I gonna there an watch this has a movie, and try to enjoy it as a movie and not try to find any holes or 'omg why didn't they do this'
    This was pretty much my approach. I knew going in there would be issues so I just turned my brain off and went in with zero expectations. Worked out well for me

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    This was pretty much my approach. I knew going in there would be issues so I just turned my brain off and went in with zero expectations. Worked out well for me
    Same.

DC’s movie issues have been brought up and repeated ad nauseaum.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    Went in with 0 expectations. We entertained probably for half the movie. I'll take it.

The conflict between Snyder and Whedon's vision was pretty clear to see. Good god can we get rid of Snyder from DC movies yet?

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

But Snyder directed 300 and Watchmen!

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    But Snyder directed 300 and Watchmen!
    It says alot that the best comic based Synder movies are the ones where he basically direct copied the source material.

Tho I do think the ending of the Watchmen movie was better then the original version.

the opening credits to watchmen was probably the best thing zack snyder has ever done. unfortunately the rest of the movie couldnt live up to that standard but it was still pretty ok

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

No this is the best thing Snyder has ever done.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

My not so happy thoughts on the movie.

This was a much more boring copy of Suicide Squad. No good humor, the villains were just awful. The forced expositions just to try to catch someone up was lazy. Didn't have a care for any of the heroes not succeeding. No danger whatsoever. The Flash was the only who got "Shot" and that was just a small cut. No real explanation of what Mother Boxes were. The Darksied "Easteregg" was so underwhelming. It was completely disjointed. It was VERY obvious what was a Snyder scene and what was a Whedon scene. Nothing felt like a threat, at all.

And again, WORLD ENDING EVENT. Where are the Suicide Squad guys, or any of the other possible heroes.

I liked the Flash and Aquaman(Feel dirty saying that) but there was so little of each.

Cyborg, Flash, and Aquaman should have starter movies before this. Let us learn who they are, their world, why we should.

Show me a movie were we get to seee Cyborg grow with his power and learn various things.

Show me a movie where we watch Barry Allen working tirelessly and hard only to be struck by lightning and have it change his life for the better.

Show me a movie where we see(The audio was pretty shit for me at this part so I'm assuming) Aquamans mom dump him on a doorstep, him growing up with weird fish powers, 15 minutes in, he's on a fishing boat, shit goes bad, fish powers kick in. Bam, now he's curious about who he is and it can go on from there.

Instead we get extreme amounts of exposition and it just sucks.

thats 3 intro movies. End scene for each could show another Mother Box waking up.
    After the 3rd movie, we can then just jump into Justice and actually do something story wise.

And holy fucking cheese ending. And the end of End Credits scene...Good god.