Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So I'm reading a Storm of Swords (books 3) and I'm about, I dunno... 1/4 of the way through. It's such a long book! Not that I mind, all the better. All i ave top say is Jon's sections are freaking great. I mean most of the characters are pretty riveting. Jaime is just as amusing as Tyrion, but holy shit, Jon's story just keeps getting better and better.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Jon Snow in book 3 is the best fucking thing to ever happen to anything

Tyrion is pretty stellar himself in 3 I thought. FFFFFFFFFFFFF is it Sunday?

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I literally just finished book 3. I retract the previous statement about Martin killing characters. Storm of Swords is my favorite I think. Shit is fantastic.

Major spoilers
    Spoiler: show
    With Robb & Cat dying, I was very upset. I loved both of their characters. Then they go and kill Joff a few chapters later! I'm wondering if they could possibly kill off anyone else. Then they go and kill Tywin & Lysa. (And possibly The Hound) Not that either Lysa's or Joff's death bother me. I'm just happy Jon and Tyrion live. If they had killed either of them, I'd have started fuming. Not to say that won't happen in book 4 (haven't read it yet)

Then in the epilogue, Cat is "alive" again, which I honestly was not expecting at all. Crazy as hell. The whole thing with the Wall was probably one of the most epic things I've read. Jon being the head of the brothers I was predicting all the way back in book one. Love this damn series.

I'm left wondering though how does Martin write himself out of this one? I mean I know new characters are brought in each book, and several deaths are expected, but this book killed a fuckton of characters. /shrug. I guess he has a plan.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    I'm just happy Jon and Tyrion live.
    and now you just killed them you dumbfuck!

<3

but seriously ever char I like dies. and some I don't (aka joff).

The Anti Miz

BG Level

you know who was awesome in book 3? Prince Oberyn Martell, I was loving him and then BAM Martin'd

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

Thankfully, I've already read all 4 books that are currently out... otherwise, even the stuff outside of spoiler tags in this thread would piss me off. With an author like Martin, even saying who is still alive by book X could be considered a spoiler. When I watch a show or read a book with the knowledge that a character is going to live to a certain point, it ruins every close call that character might have between where I am, and said point. Especially, as I said, with an author like Martin who might kill off any character at any time and in any way, and who's characters are often put into tense situations.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

^an excellent point, split threads as best as I could

So this is coming out in July? I've run out of books to read and I remember this being a not too bad series.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

a not bad series? try greatest fucking series on earth you mongrel

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by plue View Post
    So this is coming out in July? I've run out of books to read and I remember this being a not too bad series.
    It's supposed to, but I'm not going to believe it until i actually have it in my hands lol.

aduidarnenye

I am starting to wonder if Martin has killed off so many characters that he is left with almost no one interesting to write about and that's why it has taken so long for the next book to come out.

I think he killed off so many just because it surprised fans so much when the books first came out that he kept doing it because it was a popular move, especially in light of how 'Wheel of Time' characters never die.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

tyrion, jon snow, dany are all still going strong and all still very interesting, the three of them just happened to not appear AT ALL in the last book. The last one shifted a huge amount of focus to characters that hadnt necessarily been in the spot light. I find Jaime and Brienne plenty interesting. and love everything happening in Dorne

Agreed, Jaime's character grew on me quite a bit. I am probably 3/4ths of the way through re-reading the 4th book right now, and I just don't want to finish it. I know that I have already been waiting 6 years and *knock on wood* July isn't that far off, but still... goddamn I don't want to wait at all.

More Arya or gtfo

aduidarnenye

Strange how readers can switch opinions on characters.

I used to absolutely hate Sansa, but she's had the most, and the most believable, growth of all the Stark children. And I'm a shameless shipper for her and Sandor too.

Jaime really redeems himself later on.

Do you think the TV series will do the same to Eddard as they do in the book, or will they perhaps ship him off to Dany instead of the kingsguard dude?

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

that would be a pretty huge plot point to change up

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by aduidarnenye View Post
    Strange how readers can switch opinions on characters.

I used to absolutely hate Sansa, but she's had the most, and the most believable, growth of all the Stark children. And I'm a shameless shipper for her and Sandor too.

Jaime really redeems himself later on.

Do you think the TV series will do the same to Eddard as they do in the book, or will they perhaps ship him off to Dany instead of the kingsguard dude?
    oh man, sandor won my heart like no other

aduidarnenye

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    that would be a pretty huge plot point to change up
    Yeah, but they did it with 'True Blood'. I forced myself to read the first 4-5 books of that series and it's completely different. Therefore, I would not be surprised if they did.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Given the degree of closeness to the source thus far and the fact that GRRM was on set/working with them it would be very surprising. I mean that's like the big OH SHIT THIS IS SERIOUS moment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast