+ Reply to Thread
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Installing FFXI on Window 7 64 bit

Should I install it under program file x 86 or just program file?

Thank you.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

FFXI is a 32-bit program, it should go under the x86 folder. Unless they released a 64-bit version, doubtful... I think the only thing they changed was for it to be compatible with win7. Windows should automatically pick the correct folder by default for you though, unless you changed things around.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Program Files (x86) is the normal location for 32-bit apps, of which FFXI is one.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

On the note of FFXI windows 7 I'm having a rather odd issue with the game I've never seen before.

Certain specific models within the game cause my system to lag horribly and cause all sorts of weird rendering problems. Only when on screen though. This first occurred in my MH where I found out the model of behemoth and faf were the problem. Shadow lord and adamantoise did nothing =/

As well the cavernous maw seems to be really giving my computer issues, to the point it causes my computer to crash into a black screen @_@

At the moment I'm going to try temp fixing it by replacing the maw with some other place holder object. If that fixes the problem then if someone could be so kind as to upload their dat for the floating cavernous maw I'd really appreciate it :D

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Do you happen to have a GTX video card? If so, driver problem. Make sure they're all up to date.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Ok, installed under x86 since I seem to not be able to put it under program file, and that's fine because it is a 32 bit application. However, we know under windower GUI there is a box that you can check to let it run under 64 bit, should I click that? Also, for the hardware mouse, I am not sure what that is, my last install was so long ago I don't remember if I ever clicked on the hardware mouse opinion.

Everything seems to run fine like when it was on my old computer, but for some reason the additional key on my mouse doesn't work. The scroll button used to bring up the main menu but for some reason it no longer does.

Also, since it is a new computer, I put the graphic up high, but due to limitation on my monitor, the max I can do is 1440 x 900. So I went into regedit and set the resolution to 1440 x 900 and what about background resolution? should I put 1440 x 900 as well? Originally I did the max possible (2040 x 2040 or something) and when I log into the game, everything looks fine but occasionally there is white flash on part of the screen for split sec, but enough to be annoying. I am not sure if it is the graphic card, driver (should be up to date), or that I should put the background resolution to match the screen resolution, or simply tune it down a notch.

Note that the computer is running on i5-2500k, and graphic card is bio flashed HD 6950 (so 6970). So I don't think it is that the graphic card isn't good enough to support the high background resolution.

Any advice would be great. Thank you.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Also, since it is a new computer, I put the graphic up high, but due to limitation on my monitor, the max I can do is 1440 x 900. So I went into regedit and set the resolution to 1440 x 900 and what about background resolution? should I put 1440 x 900 as well? Originally I did the max possible (2040 x 2040 or something)
    Do exactly double the foreground resolution. The game will resize the 3D to fit behind the interface, netting you an anti-aliasing type effect. The max is not 2048x2048 - back in the day some people found it was, but that's due to how FFXI works - the game is rendered to texture, which is why proper anti-aliasing/etc doesn't work. It does mean that the max 3D size is influenced by the max texture size of your video card. So, with (very) old video cards that could only use square textures and/or had a max texture size of 2048x2048, there were those limits. On a modern card, just set to twice your foreground.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

And that should solve the occasional white flash problem? Or is that something totally unrelated. Thank you.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Not sure about the white flash issue. Just a suggestion as to what you "should" be setting the values to.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Gotcha, thank you. You know how to make the mouse fully functional?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

No idea, I played almost exclusively with the keyboard.