Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Appeals court lifts ban on federal funding for stem cell research

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/29/ste...ex.html?hpt=T2

Important enough to deserve its own thread.
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/29/ste...ex.html?hpt=T2
    Washington (CNN) -- A federal court has given the Obama administration the go-ahead to continue funding embryonic stem cell research.
    The controversial 2-1 decision Friday is a victory for supporters of federally funded testing for a range of diseases and illnesses.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia lifted an injunction imposed last year by a federal judge, who said all embryonic stem cell research at the National Institutes of Health amounted to destruction of embryos, in violation of congressional spending laws.

Legislation passed in 1996 prohibits the use of taxpayer dollars in the creation or destruction of human embryos "for research purposes." Private money had been used to gather batches of the developing cells at U.S.-run labs. The current administration had broken with the Bush White House and issued rules in 2009 permitting those cells to be reproduced in controlled conditions and for work on them to move forward.
    Obama officials have been at odds with many members of Congress over whether the the NIH research actually causes an embryo's destruction, as prohibited by the Dickey-Wicker Act.

Two scientists had brought a lawsuit to block further research. But the three-judge panel concluded in their 21-page ruling, "the plaintiffs are unlikely to prevail because Dickey-Wicker is ambiguous and the NIH seems reasonably to have concluded" that the law does not ban research using embryonic stem cells

i can't wait for republicans to drum up enough manufactured controversy, defunding attempts, reactionary legislation and pundit spin to ruin this

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Won't someone think of the aborted fetuses?

Something tells me this won't last very long. Like, a year and a half, tops.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

If it does, it'll be a huge step backwards for this country. It's like... "Take two steps forward, and three million steps back" back.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

You know, for all the bitching we do about politics, you'd think we'd actually do something about it. We're allowed to change shit. Go stand in the street with a sign in your free time or something.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I would, but I'm sure I'd be stoned to death by the might Christians, who have little tolerance for alternative views.

If my life's circumstances allow it, I'll be at the protests at the upcoming GOP convention and probably get arrested with a side-order of beatings. If not, I'm content on the support I give on the local community level. But, I know what you mean, there are many people who have the stability or the means to protest, yet they have no intentions of joining strangers to fight for O.P.P.

In all actuality, the bitching is minor considering the true statistics of the under and unemployed. You would think shit would get heated on a regular basis on the scale of the Ohio protests, but nope. Americans are really complacent with living paycheck to paycheck as long as they can still pay for their Blackberries and cable bill to keep up with their reality TV programs.

I'm a cynic at heart, but I'm pretty sure after this upcoming election, there will be a lot more of this protesting and public outrage thing going on.

You can only push people down for so long until they get pissed off and start pushing right back. Hello, to my friends in the middle-east!

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Itll be a long time, probably decades, before anything in the us even resembles whats going on in the middle east, if ever.

Oh, of course lol I was just giving the most obvious example, our protests would never reach this in scale(of importance or participation).

But, I do believe we should see a dramatic increase, in frequency atleast, in protests after the next elections usher in more nutjobs who want to fuck with public welfare and pander to the elite.

Alarial

Quote Originally Posted by Senoska View Post
    You know, for all the bitching we do about politics, you'd think we'd actually do something about it. We're allowed to change shit. Go stand in the street with a sign in your free time or something.
    Can't inform the unwilling. Also there is the simple fact that ignorant/religious people simply breed more, and the vote of a back woods hillbilly caries just as much weight as the vote of the Harvard PHD. As long as those gullible people exit, politicians will take advantage of their easily flamed prejudices to get re-elected, even at the cost of research that could save millions of lives.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I consider myself a republican, I'm military, grew up in the country, got alot of family that goes to church twice a week (fucking wensdays...) but god damn if this didn't make me happy as a dog licking his balls!

"Hey everyone! We may have just found a cure for...well....for everything!!!"

"Oh really? what's the catch?"

"We have to use the cells of aborted fetus to produce the cells we need to study, so we can start to make those same cells synthetically!"

"AAAAYYYYYYY HELL NO, NOT ON MY WATCH"
    "But your dying of cancer as we argue!!"
    "AND THE LORD WILL ACCEPT MY SOUL UNTO HIS KINGDOM BECAUSE I READ IT IN A BOOK!"
    "What?...I don't even...?"

Quote Originally Posted by shepardG View Post
    I consider myself a republican, I'm military, grew up in the country, got alot of family that goes to church twice a week (fucking wensdays...) but god damn if this didn't make me happy as a dog licking his balls!

"Hey everyone! We may have just found a cure for...well....for everything!!!"

"Oh really? what's the catch?"

"We have to use the cells of aborted fetus to produce the cells we need to study, so we can start to make those same cells synthetically!"

"AAAAYYYYYYY HELL NO, NOT ON MY WATCH"
    "But your dying of cancer as we argue!!"
    "AND THE LORD WILL ACCEPT MY SOUL UNTO HIS KINGDOM BECAUSE I READ IT IN A BOOK!"
    "What?...I don't even...?"
    Sounds like an episode from House. What do we learn at the end of every House episode? House is always right, even when he's wrong, especially episodes involving silly theists.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Can't really see what else besides religion keeps anyone identifying as republican now given how flatly the party prefers corporations over their constituency, but if this were able to be fought via referendum on ballots by state I can easily see this being another Karl Rove get-out-the-christians tactic in 2012, though I doubt they'd be at home for this one anyhow.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Stem cells do not need to come from fetus. Also, stem cells have recently been found be related to baldness though not in the way one would think. Scientists are working on a way to help stimulate progenitor stem cell in the scalp cells to fully mature so they can grow hair(difference between normal and bald is that the stem cells in the scalp stop maturing in bald people and are only capable of producing microscopic strands of hair).

So yes, of course rich white old men are into stem cell research now.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiyuo View Post
    Can't really see what else besides religion keeps anyone identifying as republican now given how flatly the party prefers corporations over their constituency, but if this were able to be fought via referendum on ballots by state I can easily see this being another Karl Rove get-out-the-christians tactic in 2012, though I doubt they'd be at home for this one anyhow.
    Guns.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

By this point, you guys should consider splitting up the country, sensible people on one side, religious fucktards on the other.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

And then nuke the religious side.

uh... hasn't it been 320 days and belgium still can't form a coalition government? Honestly compared to two halves of a country that don't even speak the same language, the differences between republican and democrat don't even seem that far part

Quote Originally Posted by sb View Post
    So yes, of course rich white old men are into stem cell research now.
    Need to figure out a way to make this grow your dick and give erections and it'll receive more funding than it knows what to do with