+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Heroes - R.I.P.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Started playing today. Bought Punisher and having fun so far.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

also started today, should be a nice timesink

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

DOWNLOADING NOW. MS MARVEL COMING FOR THAT ASS

The Anti Miz

BG Level

wow its really not that bad especially since its free. i think id rather play this for free than pay whatever i paid for diablo 3 lol

BG Level

played for about 3 hours, had fun

started with storm but once I got the thing for free I used him and he fucking rocks

He's got some nice defensive passives (at level 1 or 2 even). And a level 1 directional line AoE that owns shit up. Pretty hard to die with granite skin ability and being able to charge through people (only have once against rhino event boss and i was lagging way too hard to be playing intelligently lol)

Who did you guys start with and how were they?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I finished the story at lvl 24 duoing with a friend and decided that this game is actually pretty exceptionally terrible considering all it had to do to succeed was copy Diablo better than it did. I'll keep playing with him until he gets bored but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they add A LOT of polish. I think they should have delayed release because the only things I can think of from beta that they actually fixed were the endless DoT damage bug and the loud as fuck stacking bullets sound bug, while they've since introduced an unprecedented amount of power bugs with some heroes like Colossus being almost entirely broken.

Wall of text inc.

F2P
    At first the f2p model seems decent, especially if you played in beta and experienced the "drop rate" of heroes/costumes/retcon devices, the "utility" of fortune cards, and the scrollbar in the bank tab. Then you realize when it went live: they nerfed those drop rates to beyond shit and gave starter heroes lower base stat scaling to be uncompetitive at level 60, they added a way to get fortune cards for free so they could turn it into an RNG box even TERA would be embarrassed about, and they lowered the bank tab space and added extra cash-purchasable-only tabs instead.
    Crafting mats do not stack, and there's next to nothing to even craft for a long time, and you need to donate equipment to level up vendors, so the lack of inventory space compounds on itself the more crafting mats you acquire.
    If you aren't paying cash and want to keep crafting mats you can forget about keeping any gear for heroes other than your main.
    A good f2p model should make players want to spend cash to increase their playing enjoyment, not have to spend cash in order to reduce extreme tedium.

CLIENT
    Graphics are operated off an all-in-one slider. At max it looks decent for a free game environment-wise, lacking in characters, at min it looks like it could have been an N64 game and I still lag like shit in any multi-player area.
    There is an option to lower others special effects on your screen but I can't tell what it actually does.
    Like Diablo you can hold alt to reveal loot names, but you cannot toggle any other names and you cannot change the functionality of loot name toggling.
    The HUD is so huge it takes up the lower 1/3rd of my screen on my ghetto 1440x900 resolution, and I don't know how it is for other resolutions but the field of view is so small that half the time in boss fights I can't even get close enough to see what attacks they're doing unless the room the boss is in is conducive to running below the boss and keeping it mostly in the upper part of your screen, which not all boss rooms are. I'm not sure I said that well so to be perfectly clear, I'm fighting the boss and it's completely off my screen/blocked by the HUD.
    There was floating damage but it was horribly broken so it's removed until they fix it, and there no numbers on anything except yourself so you're always doing mystery damage to enemies with mystery health.
    There is no borderless/windowed fullscreen.
    I don't know how much of this is or isn't intended, but enemy bodies when they die vary from Diablo-style-floppy to hardcore Gary's Mod I'm loling because that was so ridiculous to shooting off somewhere into the ceiling/sky and never coming back down.
    Some of the dungeons are way too dark especially when the field of view is already making things difficult.

PVP
    Didn't try PVP , it's still in "beta".

PVE
    (I'm 25 and got to the green terminal daily for MODOK where mobs were red difficulty and the gear dropping was higher level than I could equip.)
    I'd say so far, there is no balance. Everything is either dumb easy or dodge-roll-or-die which isn't difficult, only time consuming and annoying because of a few things.

-If you are meant to be able to solo then bosses are either over-tuned or are tuned for characters that are over-leveled for the content. Ranged DPS definitely can't solo bosses anywhere near at level unless they employ the ' run around for 30 minutes using the only ability I have that is guaranteed to hit ' method of super-boring-boringness.
    -With duoing or more it doesn't matter how much you die because bosses don't regen and you can teleport back to each other without timer or penalty. If you could not do this you'd be quite gated in most circumstances by having to be extremely over-geared and/or leveled for the harder bosses.

Each boss isn't progressively harder or anything, some of them just had moves that can 1 or 2 shot you and some don't.
    There's a lot of inconsistency between different movement speed and missile speed of enemies, some are legitimately dodgeable, some are a joke, and some run around and shoot way too fast for anyone without a dodge-roll.
    The way it is right now it seems like every boss was designed with the same stupid AI to run around completely randomly, shooting out special attacks constantly, never meleeing, or standing still except the few of them that don't have mostly ranged attacks and so will mostly chase you, and those are the stupid-easy ones. I don't really know how to describe it in a way someone who hasn't experienced it will understand. There is just no elegance to the design, no flow to the encounters, no room for skill to make any difference.
    Trash is pointless to even talk about, there's nothing at all to it.
    The very little amount of story that there was I enjoyed: the cutscenes were just okay, the VAs were outstanding, the script was decent. In most multi-player zones there seemed to be 2 main missions, one which you were very directly lead to and one which you could easily pass by if you weren't paying attention, in a bad way.
    A few maps seem like they might have 2 or 3 layouts, but it's not exactly hard to find your way to where you're going and you have no reason to explore off the beaten path.
    If people complained about Diablo's lack of replayability I don't even know what to say about this one, you have to grind dailys and party challenges from ~25 to 60 and that's apparently end-game as well, so then you're just doing it again on another character or farming it for a .0000001290489586 chance at a rare costume.

TLDR;
    That probably sounds like a hell of a lot more complaining than I meant it to but everything to say about this game at this stage is critical, there's absolutely nothing it excels at, and the only selling point is it being free and it being about Marvel characters. The most quality thing is the VA and the best you can say about that is that it is on par with DCUO. The launch feels no different at all from closed beta. It feels like only the first half of a game that is still in CB and still needs months of work to be a finished product.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

agreed that it needs a ton of polish. also im lvl 12 and havent gotten a single hero drop. no idea if that is normal or not, lol.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    agreed that it needs a ton of polish. also im lvl 12 and havent gotten a single hero drop. no idea if that is normal or not, lol.
    IDK, Ive gotten Storm, Hawkeye, and Punisher in my roster. Also got a couple purple drops.

BG Level

All I've gotten is a deadpool costume (white) plenty of purple armor drops though

Currently I run with 10% rare item drop rate and 14% of the other.. rare quality drop rate? Idk, there are two of those fuckers though

I doubt I'd be able to play this for a while, but going to level 10 was enjoyable - looks like I'll just stop at 24ish lol

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

The hero drop rates are really low. The starter heroes are more common to drop as well. This is why people should have bought a founder's pack.

If you want to play as a specific hero, your best bet is to buy them.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Buying a single character for 20 bucks? lel

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    I agree, but this is how video game companies are doing things now. I gladly paid $10 for The Punisher. I might get Deadpool next LOL

BG Level

The crappy ones who don't structure for longevity are doing it that way.

Would LoL be as popular if the only way to legitimately expand your character pool was to spend money on each purchase? Some people would buy it, probably the same people who buy skins for 20 bucks.. but a large part of the community would leave and nobody plays a game that feels empty

A large part of f2p games, and any game I guess, is to have a large player base which pretty much advertizes for you and keeps the players who pay around. This is getting less enticing the more levels I get lol

Degenxerate

I dunno, I think if you play the game not expecting to get every hero on the first day it will end up being pretty good. I'm level 44 so far and I've found Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Cyclops and Spider-Man all as random drops. The Cyclops and Spider-Man I got off the same kill. I've also found a few random costumes and a ton of the other stuff they sell in the store like fortune cards, cosmic keys, and retcon devices. I haven't spent a cent on the store and I feel like I have ended up with plenty of the stuff they are selling. Hell Spider-Man alone is going for 20 bucks on there.

The only thing I think you HAVE to buy if you want it is the stash tabs. I don't know of any way to expand the stash without cash. Everything else you can find in game.

As for pricing I have a feeling they will lower prices because they were asking for feedback on the prices on the official forums which I thought was pretty weird.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    Micro-transactions need to be micro. People notice small purchases far less than they notice large ones. It's way better to sell a couple of characters for a small amount, than a few for big bucks.

I am sure investors don't like that model though.

BG Level

Oh wow, 4 not-starter heroes as random drops. I obviously don't have any significant amount of data but I went through those "what's dropped for you thus far?" threads and a majority have 0 drops or one of the starters was a random drop.

I'm only 25 atm which is pretty low and have 0 drops thus far.

I dunno, I think the rate of drops is fine but + being random sucks to me. Accruing some kind of credit, points, whatever throughout gameplay and then at, say, level 44 instead of 4 random heroes (I imagine you're lucky as fuck though lol) you can buy one specific hero would be something I'd back.

Or at least at 60 you can pick a hero to unlock in addition to random drops

Degenxerate

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Oh wow, 4 not-starter heroes as random drops. I obviously don't have any significant amount of data but I went through those "what's dropped for you thus far?" threads and a majority have 0 drops or one of the starters was a random drop.

I'm only 25 atm which is pretty low and have 0 drops thus far.

I dunno, I think the rate of drops is fine but + being random sucks to me. Accruing some kind of credit, points, whatever throughout gameplay and then at, say, level 44 instead of 4 random heroes (I imagine you're lucky as fuck though lol) you can buy one specific hero would be something I'd back.

Or at least at 60 you can pick a hero to unlock in addition to random drops
    One of my 4 was a starter, Scarlet Witch. Still not bad though.

At the end of last week, I think Thursday or Friday night they had a patch which increased the drop rate of Heroes. 3 of my Hero drops have been since then. Black Panther I got on day 1 of early access about 4 hours into the game. Since the patch a few days ago though people in my guild have been finding Heroes like crazy. I'm the only one out of us that I have seen find a 20 dollar Hero (Spider-Man) but people have been finding a ton of the 9-12 dollar ones. I think I am lucky as fuck though especially since I got 2 of them off 1 kill.

I agree with you 100% about needing some kind of credit system to be able to save up and choose a Hero to unlock without having to pay real money or rely on complete randomness. I have a feeling then will eventually add it but who knows. I do like the excitement of being able to find a hero at any random moment though.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

GAME IS SHIT

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I have to agree with that... I didn't find it fun at all.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I'm still playing. Much better than D3. Crafting items actually helps. The boss fights are fun. Magento and Dr Doom fucking destroy me.