Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

New or Returning Players Discussion (Or Anything Old FFXI Then Vs. Now)

The other thread I made to talk about new players sort of turned into a returning players discussion, which is cool, but it wasn't really what the OP and title were aimed at. Since the new all in one Abyssea compilation is stirring up old players interest again I think It'd be handy to make a proper thread. Lots of questions being posted on the info section and random question thread too so why not have it all in one spot.

Feel free to talk about setting up new accounts, or ask about how the game has changed, or coordinate linkshells or whatever.

FFXI changed a whole lot since Abyssea was released and seems like it's going to continue on up to the 99 cap is complete. Hell, even a lot of players who do keep active subscriptions and keep up on news still have questions about what the "new" standards are for the game as it is now. Things like:
    All the areas have changed, where's a good spot to level X job at Y level? What's the minimum standard anymore for exp per hour? What kind of over the AH stuff can I get to be reasonably geared anymore? How does anyone make money? What's the deal with linkshells and endgame?
    So maybe this will be helpful for people to discuss the evolving standards of what's "normal" to expect as it shifts around us.

Some related links:
    BG's FFXI Updates Only Torrent Thread

FFXI Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition Official Site

FFXI Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition On Steam

If you want to start a brand new account, but don't have a credit card with a verified by visa or securecode you can call Square to have them verify it's you and register the card for you. Use this link and go through the process:
    http://support.na.square-enix.com/fa...id=54216&id=20

If you have an existing account but don't have a credit card with verified by visa or securecode try reading the suggestions and work-arounds mentioned in this BG thread:
    http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/103...s-credit-cards

August 2011 Edit: The billing system for FFXI has been completely changed, so newer and potentially better/worse rules apply.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Going to double post for something I wanted to see discussed, but I also wanted the discussion to be broader than just this so I left it out of the OP.

What are the new leveling paths people prefer now? I have my own I've used to solo a lot of jobs from 1-30 in fairly short order, but now with Grounds of Valor I've gotta take a second look again.

Everyone used to be familiar with the "classic" old FFXI leveling path of: noobie zones > dunes > qufim > jungles > garliage etc. All that is dead and gone now though. So what would you pin down as sort of a one-size-fits-all generally good suggestion for leveling paths for 1-75ish. Astral burn followed by Abyssea burn is obvious, I'm talking about soloing or a small standard party here.

For reference here was my old routine for soloing jobs to 30, it worked pretty well for me.
    Levels 1-13ish: Noob zones obviously, west/east ronfaure, west/east sarutabaruta, south/north gustaburg. The expanded range of exp from EP makes it a breeze to just grind on through easy to destroy EP mobs pretty long up til as long as you can stand it. Some of the new Grounds of Valor offer regimes at low levels though so there's new options to look into.
    Levels 10-13ish: Teleport Crag areas. La Thaine Plateau, Konschtat Highlands, Tahrongi Canyon. If you move here on the low end like level 10 you'll need to just roam and solo shit or do the lowest FoV regimes for a couple levels. I find those particular ones to be annoying because they require killing plantoids plus a few of these fucking bees. And the bees are always way the balls far away and not worth detouring for. Do whatever you don't find annoying until 13-15ish.

Levels 13-15ish: Relocate from the crag zone entrance to the FoV manual at the crag. Do the regime that has you killing only one particular mob, quadavs, akbabas, or funguars. For me it's just easier to spam and return to get a new regime. Quadavs are nice to grind or the funguars since there's a big clump of them slightly northeast near Jugnear exit.

Levels 15-20ish: You might expect me to say head to Valkurm Dunes or Buburimu Peninsula now. But I really loathe Valkurm and I don't recommend it if you're soloing. Maybe if you're a duo or party. That frigging long walk through the tunnel and how spread out it is just sucks. I go to Bubu and spam the 7 sylvestre +1 rarab regime. They're right there by the outpost or if it's busy lots of sylvesteres south more.

20-25: Relocate to the FoV manual outside Mhaura. Then I spam the FoV regime for 5 dhalmels + 3 crawlers. Dhalmels are all over and crawlers can be found just to the west or east of Mhaura near the coast. These can start out rough on the lower level end.

Alternatively there's Jugner, Meriph, and Pashhow. I've tried them but they're so out of the way and I'm not fond of their mobs.

25-30: Battalia Downs is full of mobs and dickhole tigers that aggro from a few planets away, but I still prefer it to Rollanberry or Sauromogue. I spam the first FoV regime for saplings + 2 flies. Locate at whichever end of the zone manual you prefer, you have to hunt a little either way. At level 27/28 the FoV regime for 5 saplings +2 Bas is about the same if you want to switch it up.
    So there's some of the new options for levels 1-30 without going to the damn Dunes, Qufim, or the Jungles. Like I said Grounds of Valor might make me re-evaluate my old path. I have never solod past level 30 yet so I have no real suggestions there. Let's hear how you guys like to go about it.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

thank god for this.

For somebody who is just starting abyssea, what should the immediate priorities be for advancement in there. Theres a lot of atmas and abyssites to collect and whatnot, what would be the best way to go about starting all of that at this point in the game? Keep in mind traverse stones are limited for people who just bought the collectors edition.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Hm, I would say learn about the lights system. When you enter ideally if you can build azure/pearl lights to get time extension chests dropping then you're precious few traverser stones will be retained as you build up time from chests. Build up as much time as you can bother or at least the most you can exit and still retain clocked to re-enter with is 120mins.

Killing stuff for time chests also gets you cruor which is crucial warping around inside and unlocking the conflux warps. So don't go til you get into a party maybe (make sure its a non-shit-about-to-fall-apart-soon-been-partying-48-hours party that will get time chests). Cruor will also buy you a lunar to equip atmas so yeah, build up a lot.

Once you have some time, some cruor, and unlock some conflux warps I would work toward the abysites to extend your time each stone grants and lower stone stocking delay. Then when you're established and familiar with Abyssea ask friends about getting in on zone boss kills. They're all pretty easy for a group, and in fact if you're nice and ask people doing it for empyreon trials or whatever and tell them you don't want any drops they'd probably not care if you mooched a kill win.

Radsourceful

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by vrumpt View Post
    thank god for this.

For somebody who is just starting abyssea, what should the immediate priorities be for advancement in there. Theres a lot of atmas and abyssites to collect and whatnot, what would be the best way to go about starting all of that at this point in the game? Keep in mind traverse stones are limited for people who just bought the collectors edition.
    The reduction in stone timer abyssites are the most important for starting. Can get the one from vunkerl in ~5mins of abyssea time (Do http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/A_..._End_All_Wards until fame3, then http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Whither_the_Whisker - Grab as many cheap AH pops for Ward to End All Wards as you can per trip, 10-15 ***'s was enough). Get a party, doesn't even need to be a super one, just timeup so have ~45min at least. Head to Konschtat on something that can solo decently, kill Tonberries up near Conflux 8 (Pash zoneline area) until they drop 2nd celerity. If you teamup for this step, remember you need to pull to be the one who gets the abyssite.

3rd Celerity is 9K cruor, you probably got that in your first party getting time up. Buy in any heroes zone.

2 Lunar Abyssites to set atma next - 1 is 100k cruor, get from a party whereever. 2nd is from clearing 1 quest boss, portJ shouts for them constantly. If you got a CS at the maw when zoning into abyssea, you have the quest active (need 1 stone in inventory for this).

Pick up Confluxes as you're near them, but try to complete getting them fairly early - if you have leftover time >120 after a party breaks, run around the zone and activate all the fluxes.

After this - Fill out your Merit and Furtherance Abyssites, pick up your key job atma (Razed Ruins, Gnarled Horn, Sanguine Scythe, Voracious Violet for melee, Minikin Monstrousity, Beyond, Ultimate for BLM - is a lot of situational ones, but those cover most general cases) and answer/make shouts for the rest of the bosses to get your 3rd lunar (7 different boss kills). If you have friends with Discernment (abyssite that shows you mob weaknesses, from 9/9 bosses and 6/6 catuare) this stage will go a lot faster.

If you're short cruor and time, see if you can pick up voidwatch shouts - they give significant cruor w/out using abyssea time.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

thanks for the info. Really helps a ton. Can't wait to try and get all this stuff done.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

my rdm is only lvl 21 but with it's shitty gear and no sub I was able to solo from 16-21 in dunes pretty easy. Just did DC-EM lizards and went from there. right now my lvling is on hold while I get my stupid choco license :S

don't think any job can do that though, rdm debuffs definitely gave me a one-up on other jobs

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

My main shell on Quetz is teaching a fair amount and helping me advance in Abyssea. I've got G4 done, and am level 61 already on MNK. Once I can get to 90 and a little gear I'll start helping people out with abyssea stuff as well.

Way too much to learn at once with Abyssea..I'm still struggling @_@;

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I thought it may also be useful to illustrate some of the new dungeons mob level revamps. Since wandering into some of the noobie zones at a low level is kinda potential to unexpectedly turn into a level 90 style ass raping. This way you get a feel for where it's safe to roam around at low levels.

In Dangruf Wadi the cutoff point is nice and clean. The zone seperates at around the two tunnels at H/I-9 where you take a geyser up onto a ledge.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

so can anyone give a run-down on what a lvl 30 leech would do in an abyssea party? I've read about being a chest bitch but still not quite sure about what I'd be doing. obviously open chests but yeah. any tips or suggestions so I'm not a complete retard

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    so can anyone give a run-down on what a lvl 30 leech would do in an abyssea party? I've read about being a chest bitch but still not quite sure about what I'd be doing. obviously open chests but yeah. any tips or suggestions so I'm not a complete retard
    Being the chest opener in a party you should make sure you understand how the lights system works. Because chests you open will contain lights and influence what kinds of chests continue to drop. Then once you get the idea of lights, you have to ask and know what your party wants and is trying to do.

For example if you're in an exp party, you focus on blue light (for time extension chests), and pearl light (to keep lots of chests dropping), and you do not want ruby light.
    If you're helping with some linkshell or friends farm gold chests then you want ruby light to keep the gold chests dropping, but you may also want some time and pearl. So just communicate to see what your party needs more of for lights and then you see to those needs by peeking into chests before you open them, then ignoring lights you dont want.

Edit: reverse ruby with amber lights.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

That is entirely backwards. You do want ruby for XPing, that is how you get higher XP/kill faster. And you don't want ruby for gold farming, ruby light does not help with gold boxes at all, it hurts. Koul: you just buy an assload of keys and open boxes, that's it.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I got my ruby and amber lights mixed up. Point is see what your group wants and intends to be doing.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Or, you can get lucky like me, and AFK the entire time. :3

Radsourceful

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    Being the chest opener in a party you should make sure you understand how the lights system works. Because chests you open will contain lights and influence what kinds of chests continue to drop. Then once you get the idea of lights, you have to ask and know what your party wants and is trying to do.

For example if you're in an exp party, you focus on blue light (for time extension chests), and pearl light (to keep lots of chests dropping), and you do not want ruby light.
    If you're helping with some linkshell or friends farm gold chests then you want ruby light to keep the gold chests dropping, but you may also want some time and pearl. So just communicate to see what your party needs more of for lights and then you see to those needs by peeking into chests before you open them, then ignoring lights you dont want.
    Don't do this, Gold Light = XP cap increase. Amber Light is gold chests. XP Parties will start azure/pearl but eventually move into ruby as well so they can get gold/silver lights.

So just communicate to see what your party needs more of for lights and then you see to those needs by peeking into chests before you open them, then ignoring lights you dont want.
    I agree here, but think this isn't enough coverage of "how to open chests"

Blue Boxes - TE, XP, Cruor, Temp items, HP/MP/JA restore. Depending how much cruor you have for keys might be worth saving time by just keying every blue chest you see without checking contents. [/item "Forbidden Key" <t>] will trade a key to the chest to open it without the trade menu.

Red Boxes - Azure, Pearl, Ruby, Amber, Gold, Silver, Ebon Lights - Unless you *desperately* need one kind of light and your party cannot generate it normally, ignore everything but gold silver ebon. Decent killspeed, even in a shout xp group, will have people capped azure ruby pearl very quickly, and farming groups for amber/gold chests will be prepared to deal with it themselves. Gold (XP Cap) and Silver (Cruor Cap) have no downsides, open whenever. Ebon... I'm not entirely sure. I see posts with it being both "light multiplier" and "bonus to all lights". Usually won't be an issue just opening it (Capped ruby parties you can just keyspam all red chests as well, only gold/silver/ebon pop at capped light) but check w/ the party.

Gold Chests - Temp Items, Items, Key Items - This depends on the party type more. I'd typically ignore temp items (someone wants that Revit? they probably have a key), add all items to the pool (Key > Talk > "add to lottable spoils") and announce key items, but the handling of items/key items will vary by party, so ask.

Edit: slow reply is slow

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Radec View Post
    Head to Konschtat on something that can solo decently, kill Tonberries up near Conflux 8 (Pash zoneline area) until they drop 2nd celerity. If you teamup for this step, remember you need to pull to be the one who gets the abyssite.
    Is this necessary any more, because they changed the way Abyssites work when they released Heroes, stating that the Abyssites will drop to all party members in all Visions zones, as they did in Scars zones when that was released, ergo it shouldn't matter who pulls the tonberry because everyone in the party should get it. Or is the Tonberry, as they are NQ mobs, the exception?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Yes it is necessary. Old abyssites that used to go to a single person don't actually work the same way as the newer ones. They will go to the entire group if someone without the abyssite claims, but if someone who already has it claims then nobody gets it.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Anyway, isn't the celerity retroactive ? which means by the time the abyssite is acquired, you bank on traverser stones depending on when you talked to Joachim for the 1st time.

I reactived an account this week, and bought it Abyssea, the very 1st thing I consider with it is capping his time to 120 each times, so I do not expense any stones beside the 1st one. For any 75 returning, that could be eventually manageable in xp pt. For 30+ accounts, it obviously cannot be done without some sort of leeching, so coffer key opener should be the way to go. However, that requires a good amount of cruor, plan accordingly.

Finally, if you leech as coffer opener an xp pt, remember that you can often manage to open red chest manually without using a key, however blue & gold chest will definitly need one, it's too random/time consuming to simply try to open manually

Radsourceful

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Celerity retro only applies to stones banked at the time you get it - if you're running down to 0 constantly, it won't. You can build to 120 constantly as well, but it's an easy abyssite to get (my alt account got abyssea monday, had all 3 celerity before first stone would've ran out) and if you're constantly doing NMs instead of XP, it's nice to start building a huge stockpile of stones early.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Thulius Deorum
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Coming back off a year-long hiatus, and I'm curious as to how I should be gearing my pre-salvage NIN.

Currently wearing:
    Spoiler: show
    TP:

WS:

Any basic upgrades I should be making right away? Stats I should be focusing on inside abyssea vs outside? An optimal goal I should be aiming for? Are there any passable AH katanas, or are there magian trials I should be looking to complete ASAP? Honestly I've just got no idea what's considered good now, and no clue how to bridge the gap between my current gear and AF3+1/2, so any general gear advice is appreciated.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast