+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Why did it fail so hard though, I guess they got lazy?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I think I still have the installer for the IM client, and it still works. There's also a web-based one. https://secure.playonline.com/polplu...ist/login.html

PlayOnline was supposed to be like Xbox Live, with games from SquareSoft, Enix, and Namco. It had 6 games at once point: Final Fantasy XI, JongHoLow, Tetra Master, Fromt Mission Online, Dirge of Cerberus, and Fantasy Earth. It was a central billing interface and communication interface for them. It's just that the games didn't get released in North America to use the service other than FFXI. JongHoLow also shut down when Tetra Master did, but it was JP PS2-only, and Fantasy Earth was JP PC-only until GamePot took it over and rereleased it as Fantasy Earth Zero without need for POL to log in.

The interface may have been used more if SCEA and SCEE had released the HDD when Japan got it. PSBBN also did a lot of things that were interesting and later fleshed out in PSP and PS3's interface.

http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

POL music.. so many memories.

"YEEEEEEaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    POL could've been an excellent tool for accessing S-E's expansive library of online games, except then they only made the one.
    It's kind of a bit disappointing they stopped working on it (they stopped updating it a long time ago + they ditched it when they said FFXIV won't be using it).

Remember when FFXI had Vanadiel Tribune? You could read it on POL Viewer.

(To be fair you could read it on playonline.com instead of POL Viewer but did you know POL Viewer had its own Vanadiel Tribune Music >.>? [Technically it wasn't exclusive to Vanadiel Tribune but that was some good music])

POL also has/had:

*Chatrooms

*Friend Finder (if you set your profile to public you can be found using the system)

*Messages (though messages are stored locally and not on the account which is kind of shame but I'd imagine they'd change that if there was enough demand)

*Manuals (Tetra Master had good music in POL Viewer and a nice manual when it was still up)

*Customizable background music (well that is you select other background music POL has to offer. I like the default music)

Imagine if POL Viewer had better load times + more games -It might have been popular enough to attract third parties and compete with Steam.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

man that video is hilarious..

I don't remember a time when POL ever looked like that tho. That was most definitely pre-release days I think..

I mean, when XI was a modded FFVIII with FMV from FFIX, u can kinda guess too..

lotsa wasted potential. A lot of players don't bother using the viewer except to access FFXI tho. And the only time the chat rooms ever get used is when theres maintenance, afaik. I did use the mail thing occasionally and I still use the messaging pretty frequently to keep in touch with friends on other servers.. but other than that most of their functions aren't used..

Also, I totally don't remember there ever being a knock, but.. it sounds very familiar

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I like how the promo implies 2 incorrect things about FFXI. It shows them doing other shit while they wait, shit that in reality you had to use an illegal windower app to do. And it shows the guy in LA telling them he'll be there in 3 minutes tops. In early days of FFXI, I don't remember getting anywhere in 3 minutes, it probably took more than 3 minutes to get out of town to noob areas and kill shit even.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Guess I'm one of the few who liked/customized my POL window. I also really liked reading the Vana'diel Tribune back in the day; it's a shame they got rid of it.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

How many of the tribunes from before NA release have been translated? There were a bunch with storyline continuity in them.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_Cake View Post
    (To be fair you could read it on playonline.com instead of POL Viewer but did you know POL Viewer had its own Vanadiel Tribune Music >.>? [Technically it wasn't exclusive to Vanadiel Tribune but that was some good music])
    I've been looking for that track for months cause I'm a nostalgic guy hehe, does anyone have an idea where I might download it? I can't find it anywhere

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I think the Final Fantasy music thread should have in there somewhere.

EDIT

here

from

Music and More

EDIT again

Yeah it's in there. The Final Fantasy XI menu folder

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Great, thanks a lot! It seems I should've taken a look at that PlayOnline track list after all, aha

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Hope I'm not the only one that used

And

As their background music.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Jungle always reminded me of PSO.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Definitely those and others. I liked the random background/music load everytime I logged into PoL.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Isn't Dolphin the default POL music? Oh god, I thought I changed it years ago by accident but I thought I imagined it.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I think this is the default music.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I remember Funky Monkey being the default but I never used anything but Dolphin 100% of the time. Mostly because it was the most soothing during patches.

Or was it 'Space' as the default? Dang I can't remember at all now.

Ridill
    BG Level

Dolphin is definitely the default music.