+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: New MMO by SE     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by aduidarnenye View Post

I think we've experienced an MMO bubble. Game developers saw how much money early MMOs were raking in and just rushed to push out MMOs. Hence we end up with endless clones of WoW with nicer graphics. And now the bubble is bursting. There simply aren't enough customers to play all these games. How many of you can seriously do endgame on several different games at the same time? I know I can't handle more than one game at a time. So we're going to see cheaper and cheaper games with more gimmicks to bring in the money, which means poorly made games, until such a point when most of them will disappear and we'll be left with the decent ones.
    Why is it no longer growing though? Old MMO's made playerbases of their own instead of trying to take them from a massive pool of "MMO players" but right now it's the opposite. I'd guess the kind of players that haven't played MMO's before would be much less likely to jump ship as well.

Have we already hit the cap? I find it hard to believe. The console audience needs to be lured in like with FPS's, but no one is trying. The current gen is already in a good enough shape as far as online functions go that it would be feasible.

Further, the JP market only has online action games right now, but they are a tough nut to crack for any dev outside Japan.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by tol View Post
    Most MMO threads these days are devolving into these "what's wrong with the state of MMO's at the moment" rift wow xiv troll bullshit defense squad herp derp threads.
    this

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

There simply aren't enough customers to play all these games. How many of you can seriously do endgame on several different games at the same time?
    Hm, assuming we dump in WoW and FFXI in this argument only and that schedules do not clash, but I feel this can apply to another game other than FFXI, and I only have 1 "main" char on WoW, and given the recent changes to WoW in general, I can seriously do endgame on both games with no problem. The trouble with WoW for me now is I am levelling 2 other chars to try and experience some of endgame with.

I believe FPS's are also seem to be hitting the bubble. CoD3 is recieving negative publicity after the trailer that got released shows an underground train being stopped/crashed into by a truck, giving the recent (4~ years ago now nearly) terrorist attack on the underground train system (this was all over the newspapers today). To be honest I feel that this concept is nice and fresh, exciting also, which is away from the stuff I used to keep seeing (usually in some warzone in the middle east). A step out of the bubble, one might say, kinda.

Trouble with that line of games is (CoD etc, not Crysis or equivalent, anything that models real life), from what I've noticed if they're trying to model it realistically, they seem to be restricted to history (WW1/WW2, etc) or in the desert, or in some alternative universe. Put anything remotely recent into it and people rise up and moan about it.

*My knowledge on FPS's is quite limited so what I say may not be 100% accurate, this is from general reviews I seen/read of them

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Sol-Blackguy View Post
    Final Fantasy Tactics MMO?
    Fuck. If they announced this I would actually look into another SE product again.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I want to see another Ogre Battle along the lines of Ogre Battle 64. Commanding armies to fight one another and hold territory within a persistent world? Sign me the fuck up.

Plus that game had some seriously sexy music.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Still waiting for a Pokemon MMORPG to be honest =p

For something entirely different I would think a Grand Theft Auto MMORPG would be awesome:

2 Factions: Police and Baddies (what do you call the bad guys in general? I forget)
    Police Classes > Soldier, Officer, Doctor
    Baddies Classes > Prostitute, Gangster/Mafia, Trader

Or scrap the Police and make that the enemy (true to the game's origins) and make it like EvE Online. Join a gang (guild) and go have territory wars or camp around the more ghetto areas and gank people.

1 large (huge?) city, several sub cities/areas. Perma-World-PvP
    No true levelling system, or perhaps a respect/ranking/rep system only
    Lots more buildings are explorable (this is where it gets complicated I guess)

Just a quick 5 min thought train while waiting for this code to compile at work, haha.
    It has been done.... I can't remember the name for the life of me (that's how bad it was) but it made it less than 2 months out of beta before the servers shut down. I think there was even some lawsuits from people who bought the game and trying to get money back from Steam and such.

EDIT: Beaten, It was APB

2 Factions: Police and Baddies (what do you call the bad guys in general? I forget)
    Cops and Robbers! Duh lol

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    E'jusana Rhea
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Still waiting for a Pokemon MMORPG to be honest =p
    They will make one... one day... right? ;_____;

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Draggy View Post
    They will make one... one day... right? ;_____;
    Maybe if Nintendo would quit being pussies with online gaming it would happen.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    Hopefully they meant "a fix to FFXIV"
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidz View Post
    Now that I think a bout it, this might've just been a translation error. Watch it be like an add-on or DLC for FF14...

just got a response from my friend, he said it's not a translation error and it is another mmo not related to 14

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    t is another mmo not related to 14
    least we now know its not gonna be FFXIV-2

I didnt find any link to any kind of official SE press release (kotaku link is in jp), but Magicbox website's resume says Wada talked of a new MMO, but also said FF14 will take some more time to recover. Could anyone confirm or deny this?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Tomino View Post
    I didnt find any link to any kind of official SE press release (kotaku link is in jp), but Magicbox website's resume says Wada talked of a new MMO, but also said FF14 will take some more time to recover. Could anyone confirm or deny this?
    But what's exactly? That XIV is still far from an acceptable state? Everyone knows that, and they say it all the time too.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    least we now know its not gonna be FFXIV-2
    It's gonna be FFXV.

From now on instead of console - mmo - console - console - mmo - console pattern, SE will hereafter change to mmo - console - mmo - mmo - console - mmo.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by BGtemp View Post
    Fuck. If they announced this I would actually look into another SE product again.
    I would do terrible things for a Tactics MMO. Hell, I shat a brick sideways when I heard a modded FFT is in the works where you can have 10 players in a battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchDizzle View Post
    We were wrong all along, the PS3 tech demo was a teaser for this.
    Only half right, I have a feeling that they're sitting on a FFVII remake as their trump card in case if the shit really hits the fan. I'm still perplexed with how SE has cast aside everything that's made it great. So many franchises thrown by the wayside for such risky investments. I miss staying up till 2am playing a RPG having a party consisting of a ninja, a robot/cyborg, a mage, and some kind of talking animal thingy. So many great would-be franchises left behind: Chrono Trigger/Cross, Parasite Eve, Legend of the Dragoon, Secret of the Mana, Bahamut Lagoon, Bushido Blade, Eihander, Rad Racer, Ehrgeiz, Unlimited Saga and that's just the Squaresoft side. Whatever they decide to do, SE needs to find it's ways to reinvent themselves by going back to their roots.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BGtemp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol-Blackguy View Post
    I would do terrible things for a Tactics MMO.
    You can already go do terrible things and attempt to get in the Wakfu beta. That is probably the closest thing to a tactics MMO from SE.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The 3rd Birthday is a continuation of the Parasite Eve series, SE didn't make Legend of Dragoon and Dissidia is basically Ehrgeiz/The Bouncer.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Wasn't received very well but I enjoyed it.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Been a while, but I remember Parasite Eve being pretty awesome and having a lot of blood in it; was it actually good and/or is 3rd Birthday worth checking into?

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Hopefully this project causes them to go near bankrupt.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pikarya View Post
    Hopefully this project causes them to go near bankrupt.
    With all the bullshit 50 cent remakes they put out every other week? You must be out y0 mind. This company still has too much money to throw around, and that's sad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast