+ Reply to Thread
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Co-op/multiplayer Game Recommendation Thread

I felt this was necessary. I've exhausted my Co-op/Multiplayer games and trying to use the internet to find good ones is nearly impossible. So the opinions of others is my best bet. Whatcha got BG?

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Every co-op game related thing you need

http://www.co-optimus.com/

or is there a specific kind you're looking for? Like with friends on split/lan or online?

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm in the same boat as you. I'd love a good local co-op game that isn't a broshooter game. Preferably a non sucky RPG with split screen.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Online adventure RPG type stuff would be great. Pangya, Minecraft, Terraria, Gunz, and blockland have occupied great amounts of time for a friend and myself. But we get bored with games quickly and must move on.

Shit, Pangya would be awesome right now if not for the fact that my account was seemingly hi-jacked and there is no way for me to get it back. And Fuck starting over in that game. It takes forever to rank up.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

If you're looking for off-line, the Scott Pilgrim game that's on XBL(maybe PSN too? idk). It's basically River City Ransom, which is the best co-op game made in the history of forever.

I've been looking for something like this recently as well. Don't want to deal with MMOs anymore right now(ever again?) and endless COD gets old. Looking for something to hold me over until Diablo 3.

Thanks for sharing that site, IC, it looks pretty interesting.

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

I'm definitely looking for some co-op action as well, to game with my girlfriend. Something offline and on the PC would be ideal since my girlfriend's only "console" is her macbook pro, and it's not much of a gaming rig (Or Low-Spec games that would work on her macbook and can be played over a LAN or Hamachi). I'm familiar with Co-Optimus, but I don't keep track of new releases as well as I should. I run a decent i7 build, and can emulate pretty much anything there's emulators out for (Wii, Gamecube, PS2, all earlier consoles), and have multiple USB gamepads.

I don't have a 360/ps3 since I'm cheap, which has really limited my selection.Co-op RPGs or third-person shooters (heck, first works too) if anyone knows any would be awesome. I've tried to get my copy of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance working on an emulator (since my Xbox1 won't read cds any more), but pcsx2 isn't working with the ps2 version yet and Dolphin only runs the GC version at 50% speed for some reason. If anyone knows of a similar kind of game, that would be awesome. Ratchet: Deadlocked was also a big favorite of hers, but none of the other PS2-era Ratchet games have co-op.

For easy reference, some of the games she's enjoyed thus far are: Diablo 2 (her HDD crashed when we were level 60 and we just never got back into it), Ratchet: Deadlocked, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Dragon Age (single player, ofc), ES4: Oblivion (also single player), and some Sly Cooper and Spyro games. She's basically cool with anything that's entertaining, and not scary, that doesn't involve shooting zombies or people with distinct faces (shooting stormtroopers is fine, slaying people with swords and magic are fine, shooting people is not somehow)

Any thoughts?

You could try Titan Quest if you're up for another Diablo 2 (it's a diablo clone with a center around greek mythology). Most good RPG's don't really have built-in co-op and generally if you want RPG and co-op it's going to be an MMO most likely.

I'd recommend Magicka but I thought it was a good concept executed poorly. Look up some gameplay videos to see if you'd enjoy it, I personally didn't.

BG Level

Thanks a bunch! Titan Quest looks pretty cool, I'll see if I can find a copy. Diablo was great, but after her character got wiped we just didn't feel like going back through the exact same grind again from scratch.

I've looked up Magicka and I'll have to see what she thinks. Could you elaborate a bit on what you disliked about it?

BG Level

Edit: Ugh, double post.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light was extremely well received. Are you looking for network only or is couch co-op an option (Scott Pilgrim is couch only iirc). What consoles do you have? Portal 2 co-op is brilliant and you don't need to play through the SP campaign to really 'get' it either.

Don't forget some of the older co-op stuff like Castle Crashers, and if you have a PSN account you'll be able to pick up Little Big Planet for free. It's not the smoothest co-op experience but it's hard to beat free.

Shy away from Magicka at your peril. It's crazy fun, particularly if you can get a full group running.

Generally speaking most modern FPS games have co-op (Resident Evil 5 comes up a lot) and as a rule, music games and beat-em-ups are co-op oriented, so pick your poison.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

IloMilo!!

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Rivero View Post
    Most good RPG's don't really have built-in co-op
    Which is a damn shame. how is it a 10 year old(?) game manages to do shit that modern games cannot do. I cannot comprehend this. I even went to co-optimus and I put in the criteria and the only game that I found was the game I used to play a lot with my friends that I'm trying to find stuff similar to. And if you haven't figured it out, it's the motherfucking phantasy star online. Sure, there is a new version for xbox. But for some reason they decided to take out local co-op. What a crock of shit. All other RPGs now that are "co-op" either suck ass, or don't have split screen.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

RE5 was a blast co-op. "NIGGA DUCK WTF GODDAMN YOU SUCK MOVE YES ITS DEAD"

Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    Thanks a bunch! Titan Quest looks pretty cool, I'll see if I can find a copy. Diablo was great, but after her character got wiped we just didn't feel like going back through the exact same grind again from scratch.

I've looked up Magicka and I'll have to see what she thinks. Could you elaborate a bit on what you disliked about it?
    1) The fact that the concept was so interesting but they failed so hard. Basically you're a mage and you can combine elements to make unique and creative spells. It sounds good on paper but in reality it becomes "fuck memorizing fire water fire stone for a crappier spell" which leads me to point 2:

2) You can just queue up a bunch of same elements and spam a giant laser beam which oddly enough does more damage and is more accurate, eliminating the point of even trying to be creative.

3) There's friendly fire built-in meaning the more players you have with you, the harder it becomes to try and aim beams all over the place without accidentally frying your friend. You can instantly revive and there's little to zero penalty for dying but it just becomes a nuisance after a while.

I honestly couldn't stand it because it felt rather bland. The humor is a nice touch though if you liked the muppet chef (can't remember his name). Lots of herpa derpa language.

Titan Quest on the other hand was superb. Albeit long and it has a weird difficulty curve that spikes a lot, it's a solid game and it's pretty damn cheap to boot. (10$ I think?)

BG Level

Haha, well, to be honest she loves friendly fire so that's a plus. She raged hardcore when they removed friendly fire from Dragon Age 2 outside of insane difficulty because like 75% of all of her damage in DA:O was friendly fire. I'll have to see what she thinks about it. Giant lasers also sound like her style, even if it's a bit simplistic.

@Correction, Couch Co-Op is definitely an option, but my primary console is PC (And anything it can emulate, so PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Wii, Gamecube, N64, SNES, GBA, DS, some PSP). I own an xbox1, but it pretty much doesn't read CDs any more. I have a wii, but since I can emulate Wii on my PC I haven't really felt the need to chuck down $60 on another wiimote+nunchuck. Aside from that, Dreamcast and N64? I have a "real" PS2 but it's not modded at all so I tend to just opt for PCSX2 emulation. Pretty much the only things I don't have access to are 360, PS3, and Xbox 1 since there isn't a working emulator for any of them.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

- Spiral Knights
    - Alien Swarm

Both free & fun with friends.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsuko Stark
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

For arcade game stuff, you can check out GGPO. its an arcade cab emulator with awesome netcode. Its mostly used for fighting games, but a lot of other arcade games work with it. 1944, Metal Slug, Galaga, etc all work with it. I haven't tried anything other than street fighter games but it should work fine.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Dungeon Siege 3 comes out at the end of June. Co-op in it looks along Borderlands system of 4 separate/defined characters. One important thing to note: they have been unclear how the online co-op works, but the couch co-op, as of an interview a couple months back before it was pushed to June, takes place in 1 person's game, and player 2 just controls one of the dudes, and gets no lasting rewards for their own game, which is a pretty dumb move, imo.