+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Anime Thread.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

There's this kid in my japanese class at school who is the quintessential meathead dragonball z fanboy. He can do all the voices from the abridged series (and frequently does, unfortunately) and always references it as the best anime ever made, basically. We were talking about the big 3 in class yesterday and on the topic of Naruto he said that shippuden basically stole a lot from DBZ (probably actually, shounen always rips off other shounen) and on the subject of Bleach and how shitty it's gotten "let's face it, it's no DBZ".

I was just surprised because I didn't think those kind of people existed anymore. I guess a few of them never do grow out of the Toonami brainwashing, no matter how old they get?

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Japanese class. So glad I didn't end up taking this, I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Black Belt
    BG Level

It's usually like that on the beginner level, once you get to intermediate-advanced level though, only a handful of people really care about anime strangely enough, at least as far as my experience with my classmates are concerned.

Yeah, there was a bunch of otaku in first year Japanese and I felt bad for the teachers. Second year was much better since they were people actually interested in the language and culture of Japan. Those are like the people majoring in the language or doing international studies or international business from what I gathered. Wish I stayed with it but didn't have the time.

But yeah, I know some people who all they do (anime related) is watch/read Bleach, Naruto, and rewatch DBZ. Whatever makes them happy, I guess.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Sadly enough, I am in the advanced class right now. This guy, among a handful of others (one of them being an obnoxious furry who never studies, one being, strangely, Japanese-American but Inuyasha-obsessed) have gotten to this level but don't really perform well at all. Advanced level is even hard for me and I like to think I do Japanese pretty well comparatively, so it's pretty tooth-grinding to listen to the reject weaboos who have managed to somehow pass the previous levels and grace us with their presence in this one =/

Apparently, there is a running joke among the foreign language faculty that Japanese gets the weirdest students out of all of the many languages OSU offers...it's totally true lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Apparently, there is a running joke among the foreign language faculty that Japanese gets the weirdest students out of all of the many languages OSU offers...it's totally true lol.
    Doesn't surprise me at all.

I have trouble getting people to watch awesome stuff. My friends love reading manga but hate watching anime, so I can't show them anything cool at all. Been trying to get them to watch Panty and Stocking now for a while and they won't fucking budge.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I have the opposite problem, I can't find awesome stuff that I want to share with people who are fed up with fanservice, and overused anime cliché.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Doesn't surprise me at all.

I have trouble getting people to watch awesome stuff. My friends love reading manga but hate watching anime, so I can't show them anything cool at all. Been trying to get them to watch Panty and Stocking now for a while and they won't fucking budge.
    Japan is the source of the weird stuff, would not surprise me to see "strange" people in a Jp class.
    As for getting people inetrested in what I watch.. I watch a board range of just about anything... so I usually have something someone can be interested to watch sitting on my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    I have the opposite problem, I can't find awesome stuff that I want to share with people who are fed up with fanservice, and overused anime cliché.
    Consider all the good anime you've seen over the last 5 years. They've seen none of it lol. But yeah, generally it's hard to recommend good anime to people who watch quite a bit. But they're still on the basics pretty much. DBZ, Cowboy, Deathnote etc

tOSU, OkSt, or OSU?

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Anyone else feel terribly embarrassed when the hardcore weeaboos would flaunt tier weeabooness in any school project they where given a chance too?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Avvesione View Post
    tOSU, OkSt, or OSU?
    Ohio State :>

Quote Originally Posted by Coolbeans View Post
    Anyone else feel terribly embarrassed when the hardcore weeaboos would flaunt tier weeabooness in any school project they where given a chance too?
    I was taking a grad-level class on classical Japanese lit and we had the choice to take a final or do a project for the end of the class. One of my previously mentioned weaboos did her project on the lecherous monk stereotype in lit, and used Miroku from Inuyasha as her primary example.

I headdesked so hard.

Ah, almost went there. That was my #2 choice for pharmacy school and had a nice visit/interview there. Got accepted but also got accepted at my #1, too, so ended up not going there.

And yeah, I like being in pharmacy since no one is a weeaboo here. At least not in class or around other people.

Black Belt
    BG Level

I was taking a grad-level class on classical Japanese lit and we had the choice to take a final or do a project for the end of the class. One of my previously mentioned weaboos did her project on the lecherous monk stereotype in lit, and used Miroku from Inuyasha as her primary example.

I headdesked so hard.
    To be fair, the whole worldly monk does exist as a prominent archetype on literature since the pre-modern era, but using miroku as primary example is fucking retarded though.

But then again, I did try to talk my japanese grad school friend to write an entire paper on the development of the harem setting within japanese literature when we were talking about shit like genji and ise monogatari.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Avvesione View Post
    Ah, almost went there. That was my #2 choice for pharmacy school and had a nice visit/interview there. Got accepted but also got accepted at my #1, too, so ended up not going there.

And yeah, I like being in pharmacy since no one is a weeaboo here. At least not in class or around other people.
    Just curious, but what pharmacy school did you end up going to? (<- former pharmacy student)

On topic-ish: I finally saw the second Macross Frontier movie
    Spoiler: show
    Both movies together tell a much more satisfying story than the anime IMO so I actually prefer this version. Like the first movie, it focuses more on the relationships between the characters and delves a bit more into the Vajra and how they relate to Ranka and Sheryl. The animation, fight scenes, and new music tracks are all top notch. Some people may not like the ending since
    Alto chooses Sheryl right before he *seems* to die
    , but I kind of liked it over the more open ended one of the series. Definitely worth watching if you liked the anime, probably should avoid if you didn't.

Black Belt
    BG Level

it's the exact same ending as macross zero, which pisses me the fuck off

Is Ranka still annoying as fuck? If so, pass.

Black Belt
    BG Level

ranka is still ranka, but really it's like the entire movie is made to fuck sheryl over

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Haha yeah, I was actually feeling a little bad for her.

I downloaded some google translate subs for this season of working and hated the shit quality but some of the lines were so hilarious, i saved some screencaps. I see it everytime I open my screencap folder (which is often for my blog) so I thought I'd post my favorite one (i love the expressions on their faces too)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag