Valefor

That seems about right.

Spoiler: show
    Which is a change as they usually miraculously live on lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    That seems about right.

Which is a change as they usually miraculously live on lol
    I think that's part of what made it so good.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Well I feel like that all but removes any chance of a OVA sequel unless its some weird shit.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Could be about Ride.. but yeah, I think it's pretty well wrapped up.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

After watching it I joked that we need a Ride OVA where he goes after Rustal Elion.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raiya Li'aurellia
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Idiok telling a dying Akihiro his name was the best.
    Mechascissors > Plot Armor. No saving you from space guts once you trigger his epic rage. Prolly the most satifying moment that tool FINALLY got his comeuppance expecially since it was his stupidity that started all this.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I think what I liked most about the series is that nothing was black and white. The big bad evil guy with the big bad plans? Blew up completely in his face and he died like a bitch. Orphans who want to change the world? Yeah... that went about as well as it would have in real life.

This felt less like a 'journey of the hero' type story and more of a 'This is the history of the Gjallarhorn civil war'. It felt a lot more real than previous Gundam shows. I'm not gonna say it's the best, because it clearly had flaws, but aside from GBF, this has been the best Gundam in recent memory. I'm glad they took a shot, even if it seems like Japan hated it...

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

McGillis was the big bad evil guy with big bad plans? U wot m8.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    McGillis was the big bad evil guy with big bad plans? U wot m8.
    He was set up to be. At least first season...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Enjoyed it. Not nearly as much as others here but I really did like that it stayed true to itself.

Twilight Axis is gonna be UC? Sign me up for that. I like UC better than originals generally. Originals can be great but at some point they end up going fully inside their own asses usually. IBO was a nice exception, minus of course "GUNDAM WOLF KING"

Quote Originally Posted by Tarage View Post
    I'm glad they took a shot, even if it seems like Japan hated it...
    It shouldn't be a surprise that Japan has shit tastes, between this and Thunderbolt I'm surprised they even tried. Well, I'm more surprised they didn't fuck it up.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

IBO one of my top animes now.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

why did japan hate IBO?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I wonder if it's because I watched it too spread out or something. I watched the first half of S2 as it aired, but didn't rewatch S1 before S2 after the break. I then didn't watch until yesterday when I marathoned it with like ~90% attention. It was a good show but it sorta felt like Jormungand in space. We've seen child soldiers before, they're ubiquitous in non-UC Gundam, we've seen shows with low plot armor, we've seen shows about political intrigue...on and on.

I did really enjoy it but I just didn't take away from it anything that I think will stay with me. To me, it does a lot of stuff well, even really well, but doesn't do anything better than another show or series. I don't know, maybe it was the epilogue / final resolution that really failed to seal the deal with me.

The show, especially near the end, does a very good job of guiding the viewer through the struggles and pain of a militia of child soldiers and freedom fights going up against a global power. It stays away from MAGIC GUNDAMMU SOULU and plot armor and most of the nonsense that keeps me from enjoying non-UC Gundam and a lot of anime as a whole. Every small victory, especially from the point that they realize the war is lost and the only chance they have is to run, is ripped from them and it translate pretty well through the show. It does all this very well. I couldn't get into the S2 McGillis "No, seriously guys, I'm sitting in the big chair. This means I'm the boss. Why isn't anyone listening to me????? I'M IN THE BIG CHAIR!" shit, but that's whatever. I actually couldn't get into like 99% of McGillis, he was sorta ugh, and given how central he was to the plot that kinda sucked.

Where I think IBO lost me and left me feeling "eh" was the epilogue. The entire S2, especially the second half, is the global war machine stepping on the necks of the upstart revolutionaries. There are assassinations in the streets, the equivalent of using illegal chemical weapons on their compounds to kill women and kids indiscriminately, and media manipulation to make the freedom fighters look like terrorists who just want to kill people. This is all done very well. Then you get fucking BUT HEY LOOK WE DECIDED THAT EVERYTHING WE JUST KILLED EVERYONE FOR WASNT THAT GREAT ANYMORE LETS HAVE DEMOCRACY AND GIVE UP ALL OUR POWER AND GIVE UP MARS AND PRETEND WE DONT SEE ALL THESE FUCKS THAT TRIED TO LAUNCH A JAVELIN AT MY SHIP BEFORE I NUKED THEIR COMPOUND FROM ORBIT )))))))))))))))))))))))).

The epilogue left me so ambivalent about everything that happened before. It made zero sense in relation the rest of the show and does nothing to wrap anything up. The only part that has characters being true to themselves (besides Kudelia doing Kudelia things) is Ride shooting that Nobliss on the shitter. As shitty as it is, the show (for me), needed to end with Gjallarhorn waving their big, extra-global-imperialist dick all over the screen. Broadcasting to the world that they saved all the people from certain doom and the terrorists have been killed and we made Earth great again, while Tek members hide out on Earth living their lives as cooks or mechanics or whatever. Like, it would've been perfectly fine to have the survivors living happily on Earth with their families, living small lives, but in fear of being caught as ex-terrorists or whatever. Maybe even plotting an assassination against Rustal or something.

I don't know, this is a big wall of text, but I think how they ended it undid a lot of the good that the show did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    why did japan hate IBO?
    Not enough moe probably. Japan is shit tier when it comes to taste which is why shows like this hardly ever get made and when they do they're all cute and happy in the end.

IBO might be confusing because rather than fighting a big bad enemy to save the world and secure peace and love etc, all they wanted was to find a place in the world and survive/overcome the brutal conditions they were raised in. It was never about victory so much as it was about survival, eventually the kids got a bit bold due to all their victories which led to their downfall. It was only at the end that they truly remembered that the whole point was never about being king, it was just about being alive.

The epilogue shows that despite all that shit they still managed to get free from a situation that wanted them all dead, and not only have they survived but thanks to Kudelia they're actually in a position to further shape/influence the world, far more than they could have as soldiers. The battle was bitter and left a bad taste in everyone's mouth (especially Ride) but they're all dealing in new ways and actually doing things they want beyond fighting.

Gjallarhorn's reformation makes sense because it's not like Rustal was crazy, he wanted power and he got it when he essentially became the head of the organisation, putting his people in-charge. The looks between people suggest there's still tension and things left in the dark. I think there's a lot of subtlety in this show and while it's not perfect it's still top tier.

Or perhaps Japan hate it because they can't pretend being a teenager in a giant robot is cool since nothing really bad happens to you.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

You should see the vitriol on 4chan over IBO. /m/ fucking hates it with a passion.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

I adored IBO, even though it was sloppy as all get-out.

I would love to see a full fledged Calamity War prequel, but I will take anything more out of this universe - Ride OVA, whatever.

I was disappointed that there seemed to be a few blatantly forgotten plot threads. Up until the very end - even as the Dainsleifs were aimed at Mars - I was hoping that the whole subplot of "McGillis is looking for more mobile armors buried in Mars" to come back in the finale. Not so.

Sidenote: I can see why /m/ would dislike it, because IBO introduces all of these fantastic mech designs, gives them literally 30 seconds of battle screen time, then wastes them.
    RIP Flauros
    RIP Helmwige Reincar
    RIP Vidar
    RIP Kimaris Vidar
    RIP Reginlaze Julieta

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I was a little sad and surprised they never brought back the Mobile Armor and it was just a mini boss along the way.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

There were a lot of plot points that were introduced and then never touched on again. That's not really unique to this show though. People who do the storylines for anime are like carpenters who cut first and measure later.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph