+ Reply to Thread
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Anyone rent an apartment managed by FPI?

If so, can you let me know of any negative experiences you've had with them? Reading reviews on Yelp is making me think I'm going to be in a fight with our current issues as well as getting our deposit back in a timely fashion.

My current issue is about a month ago, our washer broke down and leaked bad. They brought it back two days later saying it was fixed and it wasn't, causing more leaking and flooding. They took it back to send off for repairs and about 2 weeks later, they brought it back, but didn't hook the hoses up properly and it flooded our hallway and bathroom. Got the emergency maintenance down and they removed it, but left our rug soaked for over 24hrs before coming back to clean it up more, as well as made me take a day off from work to be there to supervise. During this whole fiasco, we had several towels ruined trying to soak up the water that flooded, as well as an expensive bath mat that was given to us as a wedding gift. All in all, bout $75 in damages to our personal property, made us continue paying for our washer which we couldn't lose, and a full day off from work (215 dollars) and refusing to give us any concessions, yet if it was our fault and negligence that caused the flooding, of course they would have charged us a ton. Now after a week and a half of playing phone tag with the property manager, and now trying to deal with the corporate manager, I may be having to look at small claims court on this.

tl;dr Incompetent maintenance flooded our apartment causing property damage and telling us tough luck, continue paying us $1500 a month.

Local tenancy laws are relevant. But I think you're pretty much SOL.

You probably don't have the leverage to withhold rent since they did try to fix the problem. Your best bet may be to try bringing a claim against them in small claims court, claim that their failure to install the appliance properly caused property damage, and that they are liable. If you claim the damages (and not some BS inflated number) and have receipts / photos to back it up they'll probably just throw money at you. But if you do this, I'd prepare to find a new apartment after your lease is up.

Corporate managed apartments can be shady as fuck. When I was in california, the company that ran the apartments I was in actually got hit with a massive lawsuit from the California AG because of dishonest billing practices.

Ifrit's lolCudgel
    QQing is what I do best

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    Your best bet may be to try bringing a claim against them in small claims court
    This is really your only option. Is the amount of damages worth the filing and potentially losing the case? It do think it will be a stretch to get the money back for lost wages from the day you took off work, though. It doesn't (from what you've revealed) seem like your presence was necessary during the cleanup and you were "supervising" to make sure the job was done right.

Obligatory consult a lawyer and relevant landlord/tenant laws in your state and municipality.