+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with Wireless issue     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Help with Wireless issue

So I just moved in with my fiances family for the time being and they have Verizon Fios. The modem+router combo is located in the basement and my computer, her computer and her mothers are all on the 3rd floor, along with 1 computer in the basement. The connection to the computer in the basement is having slight lag and disconnect issues, but nothing major (most likely due to it's proximity). The 3 on the 3rd floor are being booted from the net and suffer severe lag all the time.

I can remedy this somewhat by rebooting the router but it only lasts for a good 20mins and then it's back to normal. the router is a D-Link and is from like 2005, and not supported anymore so there's no firmware.

Anyone know of a remedy? I'm figuring just a new router would suffice, but I havnt dealt with wireless very often (I usually hardwired my computer into any routers I had).

Is there some something I can get to boost the signal? I plan to call Verizon today and have them reboot the Modem has it hasnt been rebooted in 3yrs, or even replace it as they havnt done anything with the modem in 5yrs.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I don't know if a new router is gonna fix your problem, the issue is most likely the distance from the router. They do make extenders, you could maybe put one halfway to boost your wireless signal?

Post your router model / version number, it might be supported by third party firmware developers.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

You should try to lobby Verizon to replace your modem, it's pretty old and they should hook you up with one of the newer versions. If the signal is still too weak look into purchasing a wireless repeater.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

If its a router provided by Verizon then 99% thats your problem. Those things are horrible. The one they provided me died in less than a year and the wifi signal was crap. Upon asking them to replace the router they told me that I would have to pay for it ($140). I told them to ESAD and went and bought a linksys router that suffice to say is 100x better and cost like $44 (was on sale). Here is a link to the router

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124190

obviously since that was like 3-4 years ago you might want to research some of the newer models.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

The only problem with that is FiOS uses proprietary routers so they can remotely access it if you call in to them to troubleshoot. You can buy a router of your choice BUT if you try to call them for support they'll refuse to help you. The OP doesn't sound tech saavy (apologies if I assume incorrectly) so that may be something he doesn't want to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafai View Post
    I don't know if a new router is gonna fix your problem, the issue is most likely the distance from the router. They do make extenders, you could maybe put one halfway to boost your wireless signal?

Post your router model / version number, it might be supported by third party firmware developers.

DI-624 Dlink highspeed 2.4ghz is the router.

The only problem with that is FiOS uses proprietary routers so they can remotely access it if you call in to them to troubleshoot. You can buy a router of your choice BUT if you try to call them for support they'll refuse to help you. The OP doesn't sound tech saavy (apologies if I assume incorrectly) so that may be something he doesn't want to deal with.

If its a router provided by Verizon then 99% thats your problem. Those things are horrible. The one they provided me died in less than a year and the wifi signal was crap. Upon asking them to replace the router they told me that I would have to pay for it ($140). I told them to ESAD and went and bought a linksys router that suffice to say is 100x better and cost like $44 (was on sale). Here is a link to the router

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124190
    I actually used to have that same router back in my old apartment lol. I left it there for my old roommate to use when I moved, now i'm regretting that.

Gonna call up Verizon later today when fiance's mom gets home (who has the internet in her name) because she didnt give me their account # and we don't know where they put their bills so can't look for it. Probably try to get a new modem brought out, and a reset on this one for the time being.

I remember Time Warner always giving me the line that their modems had to be reset every month or you would experience worse and worse connection speeds, though i'm not sure how true that actually is...as Time Warner IS the devil.

Not too tech savvy when it comes to wireless networks, but I have fiddled with routers before so that wouldn't be too big of a hassle really.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    Also keep in mind if you use FiOS for television the router also handles your television (at least mine does). It has coaxial in / out that is split and goes to each of my televisions. BUT, since he said its 5 years old I'm guessing he just has verizon DSL (I don't think FiOS has been around 5 years?). If that is the case, you could have 2 routers running separate networks like I do, and have my main router assign my "TV network" router its IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafai View Post
    Also keep in mind if you use FiOS for television the router also handles your television (at least mine does). It has coaxial in / out that is split and goes to each of my televisions. BUT, since he said its 5 years old I'm guessing he just has verizon DSL (I don't think FiOS has been around 5 years?). If that is the case, you could have 2 routers running separate networks like I do, and have my main router assign my "TV network" router its IP.
    I'll have to go check on that, I didnt see a Coax there but didn't really check it over other then to unplug it and reset it

Ive been on the phone with Bestbuy..I love this store. They are trying to sell me routers for 150$+ that I can tab over to newegg and find for 40$...i'm sure they would offer to charge me 50$ extra dollars to install my firmware too! :D

Also my friend is telling me I should try a network bridge, I admit though i'm confused as to the difference between an AP/Bridge and Repeater..from my understanding it's:

Repeater takes a signal and just bounces if further along to cover a larger area and can be used as APs

Bridge makes a connection bridge between 2 networks so you can wire it to the original router, and then use the bridge as the wireless relay upstairs (I'm confused on this one so this is probably really wrong)

Access Point is just that, the access point and they can be used as repeaters as well.

Just wondering on clarification purposes about the 3, as I don't like not knowing what i'm talking about when speaking to people about things. I try to do as much research as possible.

Edit: I put the beacon interval on the router to 50 and hoping that will stop the random d/cs all the time. Also ran a speed test, and the ping is at 20ms, upload speed is at 10mbps...but the download speed is only 3.78mbps which is fucking terrible.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I didn't even notice the issue you said the PC in the basement was having with lag / dc. Have you tried connecting the modem directly into the PC and see if the lag / dc's continue? I would start there. If it stops, your router is a piece of junk and needs replacing. I'd recommend you get a DD-WRT flashed router off ebay rather then a store bought router. Best bang for your buck, and I don't see you flashing DD-WRT on a store bought router (no offense).

If the lag continues on the machine, the machine is slow to begin with and it's your router / distance from router on the upstairs machines. This would leave the AP / repeater options for you.

Just got off the phone with Verizon, surprisingly it was someone who knew what they were talking about. They are sending a new router to the house Thursday I guess to see if that works, if not the guy suggested getting a N router and seeing how that works out. He tried to run some checks and the router we have right now wasn't even communicating with him, so that shit is heading to the trash can. When I told the guy we had a Di-624 he said "Holy hell, those are still out there? I thought we had gotten all those back...yeah, we havnt used those in 5 years"

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

They're not charging you right? Its up to them to issue you compatible hardware, I wouldn't pay a dime.