+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Do people still think these clowns are interested in anything less than identity theft?
    I'm guessing they are also interested in lulz.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    I'm in IT security. I love these guys if only for the fact that we had to hire and train almost 30 new people to keep up with the contracts our company has pouring in because of the scare these guys are making.
    It's like a stimulus package direct from the bowels of the interwebs.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I don't think they personally are doing much of identity theft. I understand why you could be upset with lulzsec, but at the same time, you should be upset at these companies that are letting your information be leaked like its nothing. Sony was hacked with a single sql-injection attack. We're talking, literally, copy and pasting a string of text. If you want that kind of security guarding your credit card information, then go for it. I, for one, have been wanting some real security for years. These are poor business practices by these companies that are being hacked, and they're paying the price. It's not that hard to secure a site beyond very simple sql injection. Or Christ, at least md5 passwords. Thats one line of code in nearly any language. There's really no excuse for what they did.

In terms of lulzsec, they're just making this as high profile as possible by releasing it. They are not interested in money, turning down some $10,000 for a hacking an "unhackable" site, and in this recent campaign, they're fighting for something that, if it were successful, would benefit us in every way.

Real security, real rights, real everything, requires some fighting. If you're not willing to fight for those rights, step aside because someone else will.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Holy shit seno siding with a bunch of crybaby hackers? I'll be damned!

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    Holy shit seno siding with a bunch of crybaby hackers? I'll be damned!
    Not only that, but being all vicariously self-righteous about anarchic vandalism and theft as some kind of freedom crusade is either elite-level trolling or just plain hilarious. Or sad. I don't know, Seno's new image tag confuses me that way.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

What forces an industry to evolve? We know these companies aren't spending a penny on securing their servers. What you're advocating for is continuing to let these companies have no form of security. Lulzsec is FORCING people to spend money on security. Hence why on the last page someone mentioned their security company hiring a ton of people to fill orders. I see how you can see this as a bad thing, but what is the alternative?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Senoska View Post
    derp
    LulzSec is stealing passwords, credit card numbers and personal information. This was never a positive force for security since now the labor required to secure networks is now split between repairing the damage to user data and plugging some of the holes. Stop pretending like there's some cause being fought for here, it's theft parading around as random attention-whoring.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zettai Ryouiki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

It's pretty funny how all of this technically began when Sony removed OtherOS from the PS3 which led to the whole Geohotz trial/PSN fiasco. Results: PS3/PSP master keys are leaked, meaning Sony is pretty much fucked in regards to PS3 piracy, OtherOS is back on the PS3, Sony "settles" out of court with Geohot, and PSN gets raped for a month and the PR backlash causes Sony to lose a whole lot of money and consumer trust. Lulzsec then splinters from Anon and begins their HURRDURR LULZ hacking crusade due to being huge attention whores.

All of the events leading up to this has been really amusing.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

LulzSec is stealing passwords, credit card numbers and personal information. This was never a positive force for security since now the labor required to secure networks is now split between repairing the damage to user data and plugging some of the holes. Stop pretending like there's some cause being fought for here, it's theft parading around as random attention-whoring.
    So if a bank sets a pallet of money out side with a sign that says "Do not touch," while the people who take that may be at blame, but the bank is the one to blame here as well. Based on your posts in other threads, its pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about. People who are involved with security or computers in general are loving this, because everyone has been shouting for things to be done but no one listens. Why? Because its expensive. I was talking with a friend the other day that works with the army and lulzsec had gotten brought up and he had mentioned how during a security audit of the servers, on a list of suggestions, they picked the last one, not because it was decent, but because it was the cheapest. If your security surrounds security through obscurity, or simply hoping someone doesn't know how to copy and paste sql injection strings, then you deserve to be hacked.

Now, in terms of "stealing password and credit card information." to my knowledge, they have not published any credit card information. They have published usernames and passwords, which I'll agree is inherently a bad thing, but the upside to this is that security on the internet is finally being taken seriously. Do the means justify the ends in this case? I'm not sure, that's a bit more of an ethical question. The fact is, people have been calling for a revamp in security for at least a decade and no one wants to do it because they don't want to cut into their shareholder profit. Well, now its too late. Adapt or go out of business. Lackluster business = a failed business.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

mess with anyone other then gamers pre-ps3 network outage: yay! down with the system HACK HACK HACK

mess with gamers: FUCK YOU I CANT FUCKING PLAY MY PS3 YOU HACKERS ARE ALL TERRORISTS WANNA BE SCRIPT KIDDIES!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

The only thing that gets big business' attention is when you hit them where it hurts. There are other security firms who hack sites and privately contact the company about their vulnerabilities, and simultaneously publish their findings and omitting how to do it. That sorta gets the wheels turning slowly. The issue is with critical information, namely credit cards and banking info, security needs to be in place YESTERDAY. You can't have corporations sit back and think about fixing things when it comes to people's money. They'd sooner bury the evidence than fix things, because as Sono stated: it's expensive. The problem is, once a real hacker hacks credit card and bank info, it's even more expensive. But they'll put off fixing things until something bad happens. I believe this group is lighting the fire to get things changed sooner, rather than later.

They are going about it in a very illegal manner, however. I wouldn't get involved in anything even remotely close to what they're doing. Feds are not going to just stand idle on this one (because corporations own the fed.)

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Senoska View Post
    derp again
    Yes thank god for robbers, vandals and in general people scaring the shit out of businesses, I've never felt safer than when every house in my neighborhood has wrought iron bars on every window and door, guns in every cabinet, concertina wire on every rooftop and oh my god has flying never been safer now that toothpaste can't be brought on a plane. God bless full-body scanners and the people who made it all possible.

Pro tip: Don't ignore ethics. It's helpful when telling the difference between those who accidentally produce incomplete, wrong-headed results that align with your wishes and those actively and sincerely working to ensure a better world.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

meaning Sony is pretty much fucked in regards to PS3 piracy
    Only for older games. Newer ones require the newer firmware, which appears to be fully secured. It's not getting hacked any time soon at least.

Now, in terms of "stealing password and credit card information." to my knowledge, they have not published any credit card information.
    Did they not do the first psn hack? cc info was published after that.

Anyway, seno is right here. This is how security works. As long as no one knows sony has millions of cc numbers, passwords, etc stored in plain text, with shitty security, sony will not spend the money to fix it, and just hope no one figures out how bad their security is. They knew they had account information stored in plain text, and they were warned an attack was coming, and what did they do? Nothing. No one ever does anything. If they can ignore security, they will ignore it. The only way to force them to fix their security, is by making it publicly known that they have none. Wiki has some info on this on their full disclosure page.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It was dumb for them to piss off their base of gamers by clogging up login servers for multiple games (league of legends has been down more than ever in the last 2 weeks because of them). I like the anti-government stance but they should have done it before pissing everyone else off.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Falaras View Post
    It was dumb for them to piss off their base of gamers by clogging up login servers for multiple games (league of legends has been down more than ever in the last 2 weeks because of them). I like the anti-government stance but they should have done it before pissing everyone else off.
    They did it for attention. Who else would be effected more than gamers? If they somehow shut down country clubs and golf courses, then maybe they would piss off more politicians. LOL

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

the release in the OP is roughly the douchebaggiest thing I've ever seen on the internet, I wish I had an in with the group just so I could sell them out to the feds

The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

Do people still think these clowns are interested in anything less than identity theft?
    Well, from a rational standpoint, if I were making a living stealing, I sure wouldn't take pains to let the gatekeeper know how I was getting into his orchard.

I've been following most of these threads about lulzsec pretty closely and the more I read, the more I hear "WAH THEY FUCKED ME OUT OF MAH INTERWEBZ GAMEZ! HACKER SCUM!" I would say the spoiled child angle is refreshing, but it's just... whiny.

aduidarnenye

I don't think they really want to steal people's identity. I'm sure they just want to show off their hackorz skills and how leet they are. I think that they went wrong, however, when they published the information on public websites. If they want the common people to rise up and support them in their crusade against evil corporations and shady government then they shouldn't stick it up the common people's asses. Or mess with my ability to play League of Legends.

I think that people are bringing up the gamer angle because gamers would be the traditional supporters of something like this. Why would gamers support people who are messing with their hobbies though?

I agree with that last post, the loudest voices on the internet are whiny gamers. People aren't going to give a shit about "security" "net neutrality" or any of that other mumbo jumbo unless you interrupt their comfortable little escapist lives and force them to take notice lol

With that said, these guys are probably dead, they're not going to get too far targeting .gov pages and banks with this head-on approach.

I will gladly watch them go down in flames when the "homeland security arrests" headlines come in.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Man, theres a lot of QQ in here.