+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

someone please get rid of negative nancy.

I'd never see myself playing on private servers but I really applaud the dedication of people who would work on things like that. takes a lot of passion to want to figure out coding and work on things. I hope you guys succeed in some way... it might help to further our understanding of the game.. somehow

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
    What does an advertisement matter? Because this isn't an adspace. This isn't the place for it, and rest assured everyone flips shit if someone posts a question not in the random question thread. I'm not pessimistic, I'm realistic, and if you think a group of single digit "programmers" are going to make this successful, you're truly an idiot. Do you know how many people it takes to create a game? Let alone the fact, that once again, we don't know how several things work already. And to touch on the "free" part again, no matter what it is, there will be prices to be paid. If this becomes successful someone has to pay for the server(s) itself, if nothing else, and where does that come from? Inspiration doesn't pay four figure servers. Furthermore, who is going to deal with the maintenance of said server? Who is going to take their free time to deal with all the petty bullshit GM calls that will be made? It isn't clearly thought out.

Maybe I missed the part where putting a game from 2002 on a resume would benefit a career in gaming in modern day... (I won't even bring up the part where its been plagued by PS2 limitations throughout its lifetime... oops, guess I did bring it up.)

Please reply with another completely absurd (and irrelevant) moral remark at the start of your next counterpoint, thank you.
    This is so absolutely cute and innocently uninformed that I'd love to put a bow on it, take a picture, and keep it with myself for all time.

Beyond being an active journalist in the videogame industry, I have worked in development for everything from independent teams, to entertainment leaders like Activision, to heavily funded software projects for the US Military. To add emphasis to the latter point, I've been a part of projects that are literally saving people's lives -- and those were some of the smallest (though most talented) teams of people I've ever worked with.

Do you truly believe I have no idea as to how the industry works, how software is financed, made, distributed, and so on? It's far more likely I've a better idea than most of those participating on these forums, not to mention the majority of people on the internet, as I have years of real world experience. As for my own programming knowledge, I have never pursued coding academically, but toyed around with it for years in the '80s and '90s. I completely understand the concepts, most of the terminology, etc., which is what has kept me going in the industry, though in other roles.

Yes, coding on independent projects is smiled upon, and brightly. If you understood the electronic entertainment industry as a whole, you would see that -- despite our struggling economy -- the ravenous demand for coders is never sated. Many are self-taught or minimally experienced, meaning a portfolio of any kind puts one several steps ahead of people who haven't anything much to show. Furthermore, many of the most profitable ventures right now are smaller ones -- products created for Xbox Live/PlayStation Neverworks, PC download, Facebook, smart phones, and so on. While some releases on those platforms come from massive teams with tremendous stores of cash, plenty are also released by garage developers (who, as a result, may one day become those wealthy and massive development teams themselves).

I understand that, as an internet armchair veteran, you are absolutely sure of yourself. This is, as mentioned, adorable, but harmless when it comes to how reality works. Check it out sometime, and get in touch with me when you've learned something. Maybe I'll be willing to tolerate your ignorance and teach you a little bit more.

In the meantime, I do hope this project garners enough attention to become something. If not, I nonetheless applaud those presently working on it for their keeping it open source.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Marry me.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Sounds pretty cool!

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I came here to slap the cock out of Nocturne's mouth, but I see someone on the same level has beaten me to the punch.

This is where I shake my fist at you violently, woman.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

kohan, ima kissu you next time to log on ff. what a response

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    This is so absolutely cute and innocently uninformed that I'd love to put a bow on it, take a picture, and keep it with myself for all time.

Beyond being an active journalist in the videogame industry, I have worked in development for everything from independent teams, to entertainment leaders like Activision, to heavily funded software projects for the US Military. To add emphasis to the latter point, I've been a part of projects that are literally saving people's lives -- and those were some of the smallest (though most talented) teams of people I've ever worked with.

Do you truly believe I have no idea as to how the industry works, how software is financed, made, distributed, and so on? It's far more likely I've a better idea than most of those participating on these forums, not to mention the majority of people on the internet, as I have years of real world experience. As for my own programming knowledge, I have never pursued coding academically, but toyed around with it for years in the '80s and '90s. I completely understand the concepts, most of the terminology, etc., which is what has kept me going in the industry, though in other roles.

Yes, coding on independent projects is smiled upon, and brightly. If you understood the electronic entertainment industry as a whole, you would see that -- despite our struggling economy -- the ravenous demand for coders is never sated. Many are self-taught or minimally experienced, meaning a portfolio of any kind puts one several steps ahead of people who haven't anything much to show. Furthermore, many of the most profitable ventures right now are smaller ones -- products created for Xbox Live/PlayStation Neverworks, PC download, Facebook, smart phones, and so on. While some releases on those platforms come from massive teams with tremendous stores of cash, plenty are also released by garage developers (who, as a result, may one day become those wealthy and massive development teams themselves).

I understand that, as an internet armchair veteran, you are absolutely sure of yourself. This is, as mentioned, adorable, but harmless when it comes to how reality works. Check it out sometime, and get in touch with me when you've learned something. Maybe I'll be willing to tolerate your ignorance and teach you a little bit more.

In the meantime, I do hope this project garners enough attention to become something. If not, I nonetheless applaud those presently working on it for their keeping it open source.
    I fucking love you, have my e-babies.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Nocturne I point you to wiki, http://www.bluegartr.com/forums/117-...hy-Parts-Redux, and every other site/post that has hours and hours of testing detailing some part of FFXI. I'm assuming you've never used pXI, cause you'd be surprised how far along that got. You're not creating the graphics and coding it from the ground up, everything client side is done (more or less) you just need to code the server. Just this week I started coding a ffxi battle sim for fun/cause i was bored. Using the equations for damage and monster/player stats from wiki and the math section of BG I got extremely accurate numbers, I'm sure my damage spread isn't the same cause I'm probably not using the same random number generator as them but I couldn't tell the difference. Having looked at and messed around with pXI I can tell you I could port that over in no time at all. Having a private server that is nearly identical to FFXI is not impossible.

tl;dr honestly I doubt you've ever coded anything before, and it is possible.

Insert witty title here
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Posting, like others, to state that Kohan is awesome, and that I look forward to seeing what comes of this project. I'm just sad that I don't have anything to contribute to the project. =/

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
    Ironic that you posted then isn't it? Fueling the fire, etc.

fo·rum
    1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Stop trying to backseat mod me, christ.

you're new here aren't you

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Oh look he ran away.

Oh, my bad, armchair vet...shuffled away.

http://themaresnest.files.wordpress....ar-problem.jpg

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Unfortunately the new dev team is quite pragmatic, so it is likely that they will C&D this project faster than that of the old team. I looked into Darkstar a while ago, and whilst they have indeed made a server which is more stable than pXI, they haven't done much research into expanding the features of pXI. What I hope doesn't happen is that they make a really neat stable server and take years to get up to the point of where pXI was. One of the biggest problems working with pXI was SE's annoying tendency to you know, update their game. To create a viable private server in my opinion would require a 'snapshot' of a current version of FFXI then actually port the client side off and package it with the server in order to prevent updates breaking the damn thing.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Though the answer surely exists here on BG, I must ask: wasn't the C&D submitted to pXI not truly spurred by what pXI represented, but rather a result of their being connected to something else? That question is somewhat vague, but if I remember correctly, other sites of some sort were getting C&D letters at the time, and it was related to a specific issue/reveal/et cetera.

If that is the case (mainly, that pXI was considered guilty by association, not on its own grounds), perhaps this won't be noticed for a while either. Of course, I could be wrong and maybe pXI's prolonged existence was just a fluke, which we'll know soon enough.

Naturally, this is part of the reason its being open source is important. As long as its developers stick to that, it can never die.

Beyond that, I appreciate the kind words (re: Nocturne), folks. I was half-hoping they would return, but it's in the best interests in the thread if they do not, so it's better this way.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

might be a total brain fart, but i remember something about related to ffxiapp like a certain's defense was "i only use it on a pxi server" and boom, there you go.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I still have a copy of the pXI code, so I may take a look at it. It was an older version iirc, but meh, better than nothing.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I believe so. The pXI C&D was triggered by FFXIAPP or whatever botting thing it was, when the guy mentioned pXI as Aevis said. But this was the old crew remember, who wouldn't see a giant panda gnawing on their leg. The new team seem quicker to react to things, and hence I would bet that any new attempts would not last anywhere near as long as pXI. I hope not though.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post

And that's much to be proud of (no sarcasm.) I never said you didn't know what you were talking about. I'm aware I can be a dick, but I'm not full of myself, or ignorant. Am I negative? I guess perceptually, but I haven't once said to not try it. I'm entitled to thinking its unlikely, and I shouldn't have gone on and on about it, but honestly, (and @whoever, I have looked through the math threads, thank you.) there is still so much we don't understand about this game. Where do you go next? Trial and error? It could take a very long time, which is what I was saying from the get go.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

backpedlan and buttbusted

GG

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroikage View Post
    backpedlan and buttbusted

GG
    Uh, except pointing to my original point is anything but backpedaling? I haven't changed stances, so I fail to see what you're trying to say... unless you're trying to ride the bandwagon too.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

'If you believe blahblahblah, you're truly an idiot' to "I never said you didn't know what you were talking about" is the very definition of backpedaling. Try again buddy.