+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Study Methods     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Study Methods

I've been out of school for quite some time now, and the last bit of my college was a lot of application and creating things with little to no testing. My boss wants me to get a few new certifications to be able to help out some more and that involves studying for these tests which is something I've not done in years. So, I'd like to ask what sorts of studying exercises do you guys perform to prepare for tests? I know of reading over things and re-writing notes, using flashcards, reading out loud to oneself but if anyone has an efficient method or something that never lets them down I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Really it's completely up to you as an individual. For me, I've never had great study habits. For me, the best methods were to simply read the material and either I got it or I didn't. When I didn't understand the stuff after a single read I would go back and read the material again but just make notes on a separate paper or create a study sheet that either simplifies the main point of the material you are studying or triggers a memory response. Really it depends on the type of material as well because it changes the general approach one may use.

Another idea to use the internet, as sometimes a particular book may not work for you and just having another person explain it helps.

I read and read and read. But I've never had any problems with studying. Either I'm just lucky, or pretty much everyone else at my school is dumb. And from what I see, it's probably a bit of both.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Ask to be banned from BG until your deadline, as others have before you.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Anki's spaced repetition worked well for me in college (and still is now, post-college), so you might give it a try. It's free. You have to be honest with how confident you are in a given question (like, if it gives you a question and you don't know, but it gives the question again a minute later, you shouldn't say it was "very easy" this time), but otherwise it's been very effective for me. Works for languages, math, sciences, and all sorts of other stuff you want to memorize.

Anki beginner's guide with download link in video description

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by *Shinzon* View Post
    Really it's completely up to you as an individual. For me, I've never had great study habits. For me, the best methods were to simply read the material and either I got it or I didn't. When I didn't understand the stuff after a single read I would go back and read the material again but just make notes on a separate paper or create a study sheet that either simplifies the main point of the material you are studying or triggers a memory response. Really it depends on the type of material as well because it changes the general approach one may use.

Another idea to use the internet, as sometimes a particular book may not work for you and just having another person explain it helps.
    This, this and this. Do try to learn the material the first time through, don't just assume that because you're studying you're going to have to read the same thing over and over. Only re-read (and take notes on) the parts you don't understand the first time; the rest of it will just get in the way. It's important to spend the most time on problem areas.

Depending on what you are doing, though, it might just require a TON of repetition - for example, if you are trying to commit something to muscle memory (like a form of writing, sign language or any type of movement).

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Use drugs

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I always just took major notes, helped me get a triple major and a CPA. If I had trouble, I would just rewrite my notes and if I had a lot of trouble, I would take someone else in the same area and try and explain the idea, process or understanding to them. But then again, each to their own. Usually text reading didn't work for me, as I would just rewrite it into a more understandable form for myself.

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

but seriously, you have to find out whats the best method for info to stick in your head, for me it's re-writting my notes over and over, something physical for me to do. Some people learn better by lectures or by videos

Thanks for the advice everyone, basically read, read over the parts I didn't quite take in, take notes, review. I'll check out the Anki link! Many thanks again.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

I went from failing out of school to being straight A's and how to study properly was one aspect I had to contemplate. One thing I have found paramount is hand writing something. Hand write all of your notes and don't use a laptop if that is an option for you - the memory device of physically writing it in class helps a lot. The second thing I really go all out on is study guides. Whenever I have a test or a quiz coming up, I hand write a thorough guide. It takes a lot longer, but spending an hour to three/four (That's how long it takes for me to make them for a final, usually) just doing that is in itself another form of studying.

One thing I have done before that I suppose some might consider odd (Or rather, me being OCD about it).. When I have had a test that was generally memorization (Anthropology, History etc) I would read my study guide out loud to study and record myself while doing so. I used to have a 45~ minute drive to campus each morning, and I always felt like I was wasting time by not being able to browse my notes while I was driving. That way, I could be at ease by just moving the file to my android phone and playing it while I drove.

edit: Also, when you have to hardcore study, take study breaks. I think a lot of people burn themselves out by just staring at the same text for a long period of time. I generally take 15-20 minutes doing whatever for every 2 hours I spend studying.

Wow, that's pretty hardcore, but I can see why it works. The tests I'll have to take do involve a lot of memorization and a portion is fill in the blanks so the reading out loud and study guides would definitely help out. Thank you!

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

I assume you're just trying to memorize for a test and then forget everything, because if you need to actually learn and remember this shit long-term, no "method" will ever work. Methods and tricks are for memorization, not for learning.

Write notes (from lectures AND from reading material) with a real pen on real paper, then read them aloud either to an actual person or a camera or something.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz View Post
    I assume you're just trying to memorize for a test and then forget everything, because if you need to actually learn and remember this shit long-term, no "method" will ever work. Methods and tricks are for memorization, not for learning.

Write notes (from lectures AND from reading material) with a real pen on real paper, then read them aloud either to an actual person or a camera or something.

OP could try this thread.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/105...d-way-to-learn

Quote Originally Posted by Uryuu View Post
    I went from failing out of school to being straight A's and how to study properly was one aspect I had to contemplate. One thing I have found paramount is hand writing something. Hand write all of your notes and don't use a laptop if that is an option for you - the memory device of physically writing it in class helps a lot. The second thing I really go all out on is study guides. Whenever I have a test or a quiz coming up, I hand write a thorough guide. It takes a lot longer, but spending an hour to three/four (That's how long it takes for me to make them for a final, usually) just doing that is in itself another form of studying.

One thing I have done before that I suppose some might consider odd (Or rather, me being OCD about it).. When I have had a test that was generally memorization (Anthropology, History etc) I would read my study guide out loud to study and record myself while doing so. I used to have a 45~ minute drive to campus each morning, and I always felt like I was wasting time by not being able to browse my notes while I was driving. That way, I could be at ease by just moving the file to my android phone and playing it while I drove.

edit: Also, when you have to hardcore study, take study breaks. I think a lot of people burn themselves out by just staring at the same text for a long period of time. I generally take 15-20 minutes doing whatever for every 2 hours I spend studying.
    See this is kind of what I was getting at about this kinda thing being totally up to the individual. I don't mind hand writing stuff, but I write much too slow to take accurate and in depth notes that I can look back on and say "oh right this makes sense." Usually I end up writing everything in shorthand because I'd always fall behind. I'd always have to go back later and rewrite the notes to even understand them sometimes, but I do suppose it helped lol.