Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Thread makin' me hungry.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

i enjoy making braciole for dinner if i have someone i need to impress. the good thing is that it's incredibly easy, but the bad part is, it takes a million years to prepare. if you want the most thorough taste through the juices and flavor you can possibly get, you really have to take your time and prepare it precisely with your recipe in hand, and really tender the hell out of it.

http://seriouslygood.kdweeks.com/ima...iole06-400.JPG

http://www.cookingwithcaitlin.com/wp...e/braciole.JPG

italian food has always been my favorite to eat and cook. too bad i dont eat most of it anymore

it doesnt fit in the category the OP is looking for lol. i just like bringing this up in case anyone here cooks this once in awhile, too

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

boneless babyback ribs

very simple, tastes AMAZING

ingredients
    1. boneless babyback ribs (generally want the shorter ones)
    2. sweet baby rays honey bbq sauce
    3. crushed pineapple
    4. shredded parmesean cheese

recipe
    1. put ribs in slow cooker almost completely swimming in bbq sauce (use lots of bbq sauce, i usually fill up the slow cooker with enough that it is maybe a half an inch below the top of the ribs)- cook on high for 5-6 hours
    2. preheat oven to 400 degrees
    3. take ribs out of slow cooker, place on cookie sheet, lather on more bbq sauce to each rib (bbq sauce in slow cooker should be really runny and watery now, use fresh bbq sauce lol), place about a spoonful of crushed pineapple on each rib
    4. cook all the ribs in the oven for about 15-20 mins at 400
    5. when ribs are done sprinkle some of the parmesean cheese on the top and serve

amazing

Quote Originally Posted by richardd View Post
    i enjoy making braciole for dinner if i have someone i need to impress. the good thing is that it's incredibly easy, but the bad part is, it takes a million years to prepare. if you want the most thorough taste through the juices and flavor you can possibly get, you really have to take your time and prepare it precisely with your recipe in hand, and really tender the hell out of it.

http://seriouslygood.kdweeks.com/ima...iole06-400.JPG

http://www.cookingwithcaitlin.com/wp...e/braciole.JPG

italian food has always been my favorite to eat and cook. too bad i dont eat most of it anymore

it doesnt fit in the category the OP is looking for lol. i just like bringing this up in case anyone here cooks this once in awhile, too
    I'm a sous chef at an Italian banquet hall, we had to prepare this for a meal of 350 people. Took fucking forever.

First half:
    http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/..._4740208_n.jpg

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Those pictures succeeded in making me hungry as well, any recipes for Braciole you'd like to share?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Arauge View Post
    I'm a sous chef at an Italian banquet hall, we had to prepare this for a meal of 350 people. Took fucking forever.

First half:
    http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/..._4740208_n.jpg
    oh, that looks amazing, lol. you guys did a good job tendering it, geez! what did you all stuff it with?

Quote Originally Posted by Jb1210a View Post
    Those pictures succeeded in making me hungry as well, any recipes for Braciole you'd like to share?
    it's one of those things where you gotta use your imagination for the stuffing, but the foundation for it is usually ham, cheese, and other assorted ingredients in the beef itself. it sounds protien packed, but its actually very VERY flavorful if you cook it right. easily one of the tastiest foods on this planet. here is a basic recipe i found online that helped me:

Pound meat until 1/4 inch thick. Salt and pepper both sides. Mix in a bowl the bread crumbs, grated cheese, oregano, chopped garlic cloves and 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Spread this mixture on the braciole. On top of the breadcrumbs put the slices of pancetta or cooked ham. On top of the ham put the slices of eggs. My grandma liked to add some lard as well. Now, roll up the meat tight. You want to secure the roll with a strong string safe for cooking.

In the mean while prepare the sauce, bring it to a boil. Put the meat roll in a large sauce pan and let it color a bit both sides in some extra virgin olive oil. Scrape off the drippings but leave them in. Lower the flame and add the red wine. Allow the wine to incorporate the meat drippings. Allow it to evaporate and add the sauce and the 2 bay leaves.
    Let it cook for at least one hour. Take away the string and slice.

the 1st time i cooked it, it didnt look as good as those google images i put up, lol. it was a mess, but man, it tasted pretty good. for something to taste good on a MISTAKE made me want to try it again even more and this time take it more serious, and actually do ALL the steps, and really spend time tendering it. and it turns out it was one of the best foods i could have ever made. its perfect for impressing people because even if they aren't into eating out and dining, they can still appreciate the flavor and taste you get from braciole. not to mention, its incredibly filling.

my last recipe, i used provolone and parsley instead of the above, but Sicilian is the most basic, imo of all recipes. i've heard of chefs using bacon to stuff the flank steak, but i wonder how it would taste with the marinade, lol. when i get some funds up, i really want to try it <_>;

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    If you think she'd be game and you want something that's cheap and easy, it's hard to beat roasting a chicken. Butterfly it (if you have joy of cooking, read the first few pages before the chicken recipes), rub oil on the outside, pepper, salt, and I always stick some slabs of butter under the skin for good luck. Make sure you remove the damned giblets. They all have them. Don't give up until you've found them. Cook 20min/lb at 350 degrees (so it doesn't even take long if you make a small chicken.) It's going to be a morning-of kind of thing, so you're best off going to the supermarket and buying a thawed chicken to start with.

To go with your chicken, you can make mashed potatoes. It's not hard, but does take time. Probably ~an hour, so you could make them after putting the chicken in. Scrub them down with a brush (or rub them hard with your fingers if you have no brush) and get all the knotty-wood-like stuff out using a peeler. I don't bother peeling them. It's extra work and I like skins in my mashed potatoes. Cut them into ~1inch cubes. It's important that they're all approximately the same volume, but a little variance never hurt anyone. Boil them in your largest pot (fill it with hot water from the sink to give yourself a head start). Depending which type of potato you have, the cooking time and amount of water that you should use is going to vary. You can't really go with too much water, but you can go with too little imop. You can tell when they're ready to come out like this:
    * As soon as you put them in, poke one with a fork and try to feel how hard it is to pierce so you can get a feeling for later.
    * When your fork pierces a potato chunk pretty easily (push it against the side of the pot), but it doesn't split apart, it's ready to come out.
    ** You're aiming to hit a ~5-10 minute window of "okay, that would probably work" here. It's not some precise 30 second window that you have to hit or your potatoes are going to taste like ass.
    I'm too lazy to use a strainer, so instead of taking them out I put the lid on the pot and tilt it over the sink to get the water out. Do NOT risk getting your hand wet, ESPECIALLY if you're wearing an oven mitt. You'll scald that shit and your lunch date will turn into an ER visit. Maybe just use a strainer. Anyway, get it relatively water free somehow (shouldn't see any standing water) and put butter in. A lot of butter. Like, put in half a stick (dice it up into smaller chunks so it melts faster. Wait until it's pretty melted, and then go after the potato/butter mixture with your handheld mixer. The potatoes are not going to whip up and look creamy yet (probably), but they will break apart which is what you want. Next add a dash of milk, beat some more, add a dash of milk, beat some more, etc. until they look about how you want. Put as much salt and pepper in as you want. I go heavy on the pepper and medium/light on the salt, personally. If you think it needs more butter, add more butter. Amount of butter is directly proportional to how good it tastes, but you don't want it leaving an obvious butter spot on any plates. I have gone down that road before, and the reactions were "that tasted awesome!" mixed with "oh man, I can't believe I ate that."

If you think that looks like too much effort to her (although you'd probably only spend an hour actually cooking it) and want to come off as nonchalant "Oh, you're hungry? I'll go make something." It might be better to do something like a salad with a homemade salad dressing. Depends on the girl, but some chicks would be majorly impressed if you had enough fresh produce in the house to make a real salad (fresh tomato, fresh lettuce or spinach, maybe some cucumber if you want), and then had enough nuts and crap to put on it that it gains some caloric value but still looks healthy. Almond slices are cheap and craisins are another good option and both keep well. If you can't find slices or something, you can take whole nuts and put them in a plastic bag wrapped in a paper towel, then crush them with something hard. This is not going to be a pasta-cheap route if you are not the type of guy to keep fresh produce around, but it'll still come out cheaper than going to a restaurant probably.

Typical vinaigrette is 3 parts oil, 1 part vinegar. Make about a cup, and add a teaspoon of lemon juice. Add a dash of salt/pepper (people would say "to taste" here, which means it's really just arbitrary. Add as much or as little as you want). Put it in a sealed container and shake the shit out of it. Taste it, see if you need to add anything. If you want a sweet vinaigrette and you have some weird vinegar (maybe strawberry vinegar, for instance), use that and put like a tablespoon of sugar in it. If you were going to make this along with the above two things, there's plenty of time while the potatoes boil and chicken cooks. It would be ~2 hours from "I have all the ingredients" to finish. I do it in as little as an hour depending how small a chicken I have, so I'm leaving you some leeway when I say 2 hours.

The above combination of recipes is my "comfort food" recipe. If my girlfriend is angry at me, I combine it with the cake recipe on the back of the Hershey's Dark Chocolate cocoa powder box and let that cook while we eat dinner.

You probably want to come off as someone who is competent in the kitchen and eats well, but not the type of wussy sissy man that cooks all the time. If you're starting a potentially long-term relationship, it's important to avoid building expectations that you have no intention of fulfilling in the long run. If you're looking for a one-night stand, whatever.

I'd vote for just a solid salad either way. Light lunches are socially acceptable, it's easy as crap, people find it impressive that you bother buying produce regularly enough to have it fresh, and it's under $20. Salads are also one of the few things that people find impressive but require almost no cooking experience. You want a salad that tastes good? Look at a picture of a good salad and make your plate look like that. Other things, (Chicken, mashed potatoes, cake) are things that you might mess up once or twice before getting a feeling for it. Heck, I'm still discovering new ways to mess up mashed potatoes and I've been making that recipe for years.

If you want to play it up even further and live in a city, google for farmers markets nearby. I've yet to be in a city that doesn't have at least one Saturday morning farmers market this time of year, and you can pick up fresh tomatoes with all the adjectives attached to them that you want (ORGANIC GREEN LOCAL FREERANGE TOMATOES). Fresh tomatoes are awesome.
    Your mashed potato recipe seems a bit lactose heavy (given the requirements laid out in OP) OP might just be better off cutting hte potatoes in big chunks, tossing with oil, salt, and pepper and tossing them into the oven to roast w/ the chicken until the taters are brown/crunchy.

If you have a grill just make a basic salad and throw some roast veggies ontop (eggplant, pepper, zucchini or w/e depending on the chicks tastes), w/e meat you want and maybe some avocado slices if you want. bamf.

Watch Alton Brown and get some idea from some of his more basic dishes, braciole and ribs while delicious seem a bit too time and labor intensive for a basic lunch with a girl lol.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I posted this on my LS forums, thought I'd share here.

I love good food, and I love to cook it even more. I'm gonna start off with a salmon recipe I made a bunch of times, with great results.

Needed items:
    1 untreated 6 foot cedar fence board - ask the clerk at home depot to cut into 1 foot or whatever size that will fit into your grill. UNTREATED! You don't want to put yellawood in there.
    Coarse salt - Sea Salt works fine,but I prefer Coarse Salt.
    Six 4 ounce sockeye salmon fillets - scored - if you don't know how, ask the butcher to do it for you.
    1 tablespoon of ginger root - grated
    2 cloves of garlic, chopped
    1 tablespoon of brown sugar

Soak your planks in water for at least 15 hours before your cook. The night before is good.

Preheat your outdoor grill on high heat. Place your planks on the grilll, and sprinkle the planks liberally with the coarse salt - this is why I prefer Coarse Salt over Sea Salt, as it sticks better - can also add pepper and other spices if you wish here.

Cover grill, heat your planks till they're just about dry - adjust your grill to medium heat. While the grill heats up a bit more, prep your salmon skin side down on some kind of prep surface, and mix your ginger root and garlic - add the brown sugar last as it caramelizes.

Watch your planks - and when they start to smoke, add your glaze to the salmon on the score marks, and once your planks start to pop (you'll know) place your salmon skin side down on grill, and walk away for about 7-10 minutes.

Your salmon is ready when it is opaque and easily flaked with a fork.

SERVE!

Quote Originally Posted by richardd View Post
    oh, that looks amazing, lol. you guys did a good job tendering it, geez! what did you all stuff it with?
    We used full strip loins that we filleted out to make the braciole. Seasoned the same way you said, we went much more economical and plain with our stuffing. It was a mixture of finely chopped onions, red and green bell peppers, fresh garlic, olive oil, which was all cooked until it was basically mush and spread across the braciole. On top of this we used extremely thin slices of speck (smoked prosciutto, if you slice it thin enough and cook long enough this will basically render out to next to nothing and add TONS of flavor), some parmesan cheese, and a bunch of fresh chopped parsley. Rolled them and browned in the roasting pans on stovetop then covered with marinara sauce and baked for HOURS at like 275-300. We didn't use the red wine like you suggested, mainly because we were cooking so much and the Italians we work for are ridiculously cheap and cut corners everywhere.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Arauge View Post
    We used full strip loins that we filleted out to make the braciole. Seasoned the same way you said, we went much more economical and plain with our stuffing. It was a mixture of finely chopped onions, red and green bell peppers, fresh garlic, olive oil, which was all cooked until it was basically mush and spread across the braciole. On top of this we used extremely thin slices of speck (smoked prosciutto, if you slice it thin enough and cook long enough this will basically render out to next to nothing and add TONS of flavor), some parmesan cheese, and a bunch of fresh chopped parsley. Rolled them and browned in the roasting pans on stovetop then covered with marinara sauce and baked for HOURS at like 275-300. We didn't use the red wine like you suggested, mainly because we were cooking so much and the Italians we work for are ridiculously cheap and cut corners everywhere.
    for cutting corners, you guys did a really fantastic job. i'm going to borrow some of your ideas lol. have you ever thought about using raisins for a sweeter taste? i was reading a blog about a lady who dedicates her life to this using it and loving it. i belt it would melt perfectly and add great flavor, and i never really thought about it

How has no-one yet pointed out the fact that having a "lunch date" obviously means that he has already been friend-zoned and wanting to impress her is pointless. Either call her up and change it to dinner plans, or find a new chick that will play with your ding dong, because otherwise you are going to put a bunch of effort, and possibly money, into making her some 5-star lunch and get your hopes all up, and get nothing but a "valued friendship" in return.

Don't take bullshit, "that's when she's free," excuses either. If a chick is into you she will go along with the change to dinner, if not, she's going out later with some other dude that smells like axe body spray and has a higher testosterone level than you, and is going to mouth bang him in the backseat of his car.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mikelee0351 View Post
    How has no-one yet pointed out the fact that having a "lunch date" obviously means that he has already been friend-zoned and wanting to impress her is pointless. Either call her up and change it to dinner plans, or find a new chick that will play with your ding dong, because otherwise you are going to put a bunch of effort, and possibly money, into making her some 5-star lunch and get your hopes all up, and get nothing but a "valued friendship" in return.

Don't take bullshit, "that's when she's free," excuses either. If a chick is into you she will go along with the change to dinner, if not, she's going out later with some other dude that smells like axe body spray and has a higher testosterone level than you, and is going to mouth bang him in the backseat of his car.
    No it doesn't, first date I had with my actual gf (almost 4 years now) was when I cooked her lunch.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Being a lunch date. Some of the recipes given are a bit heavy. Maybe a sandwich with a salad. Or just a chicken breast type salad. And for drinks Mohito's or Sangria. A big jug of Sangria looks amazing on the table.

Canada
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mlle Skjie
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Quote Originally Posted by vagus View Post
    Sangria. A big jug of Sangria looks amazing on the table.
    Bitches love Sangria.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Could do a bunch of things.
    Drink (spike it if you want): Watermelon Fresca- blend 3 cups seedless watermelon cubed (add to blender a little at a time otherwise it won't blend properly and get stuck), juice of 2 limes, 1/4 cup sugar; slice up some of the leftover watermelon wedges to serve whole
    Soup: Gazpacho
    Bread: Foccacia or Garlic Knots depending on how averse you/she is to garlic, of course
    Main: Spicy Orange Chicken or Shooter's Sandwich
    Desert: Fruit Salad

buy the bitch a happy meal with a girl toy.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by aru View Post
    Dear god in heaven. I have never heard of this, but now I'm fascinated, and plan on making one when I get back from vacation lol.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Dear god in heaven. I have never heard of this, but now I'm fascinated, and plan on making one when I get back from vacation lol.
    Since I'm not big on mushrooms, I've substituted some caramelized onion and it's turned out great for how quick and easy it is.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

revision3.com/foodmob